Revision TKR 2TKR not good

Exercise daily with bike ride
Depending on how much you are riding, you may want to cut back to every few days and see if the helps your knee settle down.
You are only 8 months out from surgery in this yearlong+ recovery. Give your knee the time it needs to heal.
pastedGraphic.png

Patince Grasshopper.

You will notice I have merged your newest thread with your original thread. We prefer that members have one recovery thread. It creates a diary of your recovery for you, and allows staff to review your history so we can better advise you.
Some members bookmark their threads, so they can find them when they log on.
Thank you,
Chris
 
Tough
People I know with knee replacement after 6 months feel no pain. This is about 85% of the people I know
Some are having their 2nd knee replaced

odd
 
Some of us take longer than others to heal. I had a lot of improvement in my second year post op.
 
I definitely wasn't pain free at 6 months @Ref1, but time and patience have led to a pain free mobile life.
 
Yes, at 7 months out, I was hoping to be pain free...it is certainly better than it was!
I will be happy when I get the other one done next month!
 
Yes I am nearly six months out and still have bad days and good but never pain free yet. Icing as I type this comment.
 
I remember thinking at around 6 months "will this ever be over?" Then one day a few months later I had been really busy and realized I had over 15,000 steps and I wasn't stiff or sore. The next day I still felt great and I knew TKR was finally in my rear view mirror. Hang in there, that day will come for you as well.
 
Want to post the right way but have trouble
Have posted before but having trouble
Anyone help?
Also going on 9 months and more pain the last 2 days only ride a bike short distance and walk
What’s going on?
Painful
 
What other activities have you engaged in recently besides biking and walking?

I've merged your two threads to your original recovery thread. You might want to bookmark this thread so you can find it again.
 
@Ref sorry to hear you are having a tough time. I can honestly say that with my first tkr I continued to slowly improve for the whole 2.5 years until my second tkr and have now had bit of a setback since my 2nd TKR. Not sure first tkr was happy to find itself the dominant leg!! It really is a slow and steady, listen to your knee process. in my experience, pain after about 6 months is either your knee asking you to slow up or to stop doing something it doesnt like - the tricky bit is figuring out what is bothering it! Take a few days out and see if you can pinpoint anything.
 
In most cases when you have pain like this, it's related to your activity level. Some bodies require a slow, steady recovery over lots of time. It's a very individual thing. When you hurt, reduce your activity dramatically, take something for the pain, ice and elevate your knee if that helps it feel better. Pain is inflammation and you want to get that stopped. If, after a couple of weeks of this reduced activity routine, you still have constant pain, it would be a good idea to see your surgeon to determine if there really is a problem with your knee. But I'm betting that the slow-down will lessen your pain and show you that you need to be more gradual in your activity increases for a little longer.

Of course, if you find your pain is increasing even with reduced activity or it is a constant pain, contact your surgeon for a consultation.
 
Last edited:
Hi @Ref1 ...

Like you will hear from others, it's really hard, sometimes, to determine what was the thing you did that made your new baby knee say, "Too much!" I've had this happen many, many times, so I hear you! Some of us refer to it as joining the "OverDid It" Club...even when we can't figure out the "what"! So, yes, more pain, even when you can't directly trace it, IS normal!

As Jamie said, increased pain usually means over-activity, even if you can't figure out what was the "too much" thing... And, in my case, having had both knees done now, they were not the same! My first one took me far longer to recover from than the more recent one (surgery in late April). With #1, the pain medication did NOT work, so I lost valuable time early on and it took about 9 months to get my bend to a really useful level. It took me a good year to be able to really forget I had a new knee, and I still had some aching after more than normal activity for maybe 1.5 years. With this new knee, I'm far beyond where I was at 9 months at only 5 months...so even two knees on the same body can differ by a lot!

If you can find a little notebook to jot down your activities each day, maybe you'll begin to see a pattern? Just even write down things like "cleaned up shop" - 1 hour, "reorganized garage and boxed giveaways" - 2 hours, "did dishes" - 25 min, "rode bike - 45 min.," etc. Anything that requires you to be on your feet and not resting it. Yep, ANYthing!

I found... and still do find... that I overlook excess activity, thinking I can just cruise through daily life like nothing has been done to my knee. I have a dog, so taking him for a longer walk counts as extra, doing a second walk because it's really nice out and is supposed to rain tomorrow, like we did today: extra! They all add up to things your knee needs to do that it may be annoyed with later. So, tonight, I'll be sure to put the herbal/CBD salve on that helps it, for instance. If I was really concerned about being achey, I'd put an ice pack on as I got to bed, and as long as it stays cold will help.

At the end of each day, I think back, or look back at my scribbles, to see what all I did. Then, I can more carefully consider my new baby knee's needs and plan accordingly.

Trying to keep notes like I did might help you re-think your days to better allow for preparation for more pain later... I hope maybe this will help!? It IS normal, though!
 
Appreciate all the positive feedback
Just not knowing why pain and stiffness continues after 8 months is upsetting
Cutting back on activities
But seeing people walking on the beach or taking a short distance hike .5 miles gets my mind a little upset
The sharp pain gets me “why now”
THANKS
 
Well sorry for sending new thread but tried not to.
10 months out
ROM average
Still pain in knee
Can ride bike and play golf but feel knee has issues. Pain putting on shoes and walking some distances
Dr said be patient
Believe it’s been to long
TKR was to relieve pain but still there
Should I get another opinion
Get upset thinking about a “redo”
 
Many of us still have these issues at 10 months. I did! But, I had a lot of improvement in my second year, so don’t give up yet.
 
Hi @Ref1… I’m wondering here if you aren’t seeing the questions others are asking you to answer to better be able to offer some specific help? You haven’t responded to the questions they have asked, but still come to post complaints without seeming to respond to the queries… those who ask the questions have a genuine desire to help. But if you don’t respond to their questions, they won’t be able to offer distinct advice for you… hoping you will read back and answer some questions!
 
13 months out still pain
Ride a bike 3-4 times a week
Dr still tells me to be patient
Read to many articles stating how well they feel after 5-6 months
ROM 122
Extension is good
Is there an explanation
No revision for me
 
Hello @Ref1
I‘m sorry you’re still dealing with pain. While I don’t have any answers or suggestions,
possibly someone will stop by with helpful advice. I hope more time helps ease your pain.

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Wishing you all the best!
 
@Ref1 ..... can you tell me a little more about your pain?
  • Is it constant or does it come at certain times of the day, with activity and not when at rest, or with specific movements?
  • What level is it on the pain scale?
  • Does anything make it better?
  • How far are you riding your bike each time and is it on flat surfaces or hills?
  • How active are you on a daily basis?
In order to be able to offer some suggestions it is very helpful to have this kind of detail. You have good flexion and extension and that can still improve, even after a year or more. Your surgeon is probably correct that you just need more time for things to even out. Lots of people feel really good at 5-6 months out from surgery. But lots of people take longer. This is why we advise people just to listen to their own body and try not to compare your recovery with someone else. I doubt you have anything going on that would require a revision....it's more likely soft tissue issues.

You can always seek a second opinion if you want a new set of eyes to take a look. Just be sure it's a surgeon who does revision knees and someone totally independent from your original surgeon. Revision specialists are the doctors who are more used to seeing "problem" (and I'm certainly not suggesting that you have a problem other than you're still healing) cases.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom