Revision TKR 2TKR not good

Ref1, you are doing very well at 6 weeks with that ROM, so the main thing I had to learn was patience! I’m a “do-er”, constantly in motion if not working on the computer! So, adding patience to my repertoire was the biggest struggle! Your ROM is better than mine was at 9 months, so realize you don’t need to push that new baby knee so much.
For me, knee stiffness came to mean I did too much! So, to reclaim more knee benefits, I dare say doing less could be the answer... at least that is what worked for me! Hang in there, and be patient with your new baby knee!
 
Hello
Thank you
Now @12 weeks
ROM 115-120
Still having pain after walking or PT
Pain is below week
Dr. Said between 4-6 months
Didn’t see this coming
 
3 months out
ROM ok
Pain still below knee
Dr stated between 4-6 month out pain may be better
what
Thought I would be out walking pain free
Blues image a
 
It’s amazing what they don’t tell us up front, and then slowly tell us how things will really be.

Try to hang in there, things really will get better.
 
My question; is this what usually happens in TKR recovery? Will it get better week 3 and 4? This is tough
Yes, and more. It can be a roller coaster ride. But it gets better - slowly
Swellings and pain doing PT stretches
Please don't do stuff to the point of pain or if it causes swelling. 'Pushing through' is counter productive
being frustrated and a lack of patience is my downfall
I'm afraid so. You have to roll with the punch; but consider - when you are icing and elevating and watching telly you are not 'dossing around' you are 'engaging a carefully considered proactively designed heuristically programmed dynamically structured recovery programme'.
I love this! I hope I can quote this phrasing!! I’m engaged in a carefully considered proactively designed heuristically programmed dynamically structured recovery programme!
 
Last edited:
Dr stated between 4-6 month out pain may be better
Not realistic, as you are finding out. Focus on a process that takes one year or longer. You will continue to see improvement.
 
Last edited:
Ref1, Having had 2 very recent TKR’S I can promise you it’s a SLOW process and absolutely cannot be rushed! But each day brings a slight bit of healing and eventually those knees will do most everything you want (within reason) :heehee: Patience is key here and though it’s hard and frustrating, you’re not alone and this too shall pass!
 
15 weeks out from TKR
ROM is 120 dr. Said that is good could get better in months ahead
Still have pain in knee area but now have pain in hip area and buttocks
Not a fan of this TKR
Anyone has similar problems?
Want this pain to end
Hope I did this thread correctly
 
The pain and hip pain could be referred pain coming from your back. Do you have a tingling or numbness in legs or feet?
 
Hi @Ref1 ,
As others have said, recovery from a knee replacement is a long process. Complete recovery takes a full year, sometimes even a little longer. Since you're in for the long haul, you'll still need to exercise patience. By the end of a year, most problems should have sorted themselves out.

It's not unusual to still have pain at 15 weeks. The thing to do is monitor your activity, so you don't cause additional pain. Over-activity can cause muscle and tendon pain, which takes a while to settle.

It my be that you have some inflammation of your ilio-tibial band.
This article may help: ITB (ilio-tibial band) issues and treatments
 
By the way, you'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as it's best if members in recovery only have one thread.
This is because:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier for others to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. We won't miss your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.

Best wishes,
Celle
 
At a little over 3 months, your knee is only 1/4 healed and what you are experiencing is normal. Listen to your knee and how it reacts to the things you are doing. There is a cause and effect in your recovery. If you learn from it and not repeat the things that aggravate your knee, then your recovery should be less painful.
 
Ref1, I’m sad to hear you are “not a fan of this TKR”! I really believe, unless we have the good fortune to have found BoneSmart pre-op, most of us are ill-prepared for the extent of this surgery and the immense challenges of rehab! One member’s doc told her recovery would be in 6 weeks! That is a cruel and ignorant understatement ! Another member had a friend who was an orthopedic surgeon who never realized how tough rehab was till his own mother had a TKR and he cared for her. We just can’t imagine what we’re in for!
This is my belief: if you abide by the guidelines here, elevate, ice, don’t push to the point of pain, and don’t fret about the “numbers” I think you will come back here in another 8 MONTHS, and tell us how happy you are that you had the surgery. :) :yes!:
 
Thank you for the info
Will apply the stretches and see what happens
Hopefully I will write back in 8 months feeling much better
Time is slow as doctors said 4 months
 
Ref, the doc was 8 months shy of most people’s complete healing!
 
I had two different surgeons tell me I'd be back to doing anything I wanted, although maybe not at the level I wanted to, at 3 months, so I get your frustration. We've had the surgery and there is no going back so we have to be patient and wait for it to heal. It is slow going but should be worth it.
 
Ref1, you are doing very well at 6 weeks with that ROM, so the main thing I had to learn was patience! I’m a “do-er”, constantly in motion if not working on the computer! So, adding patience to my repertoire was the biggest struggle! Your ROM is better than mine was at 9 months, so realize you don’t need to push that new baby knee so much.
For me, knee stiffness came to mean I did too much! So, to reclaim more knee benefits, I dare say doing less could be the answer... at least that is what worked for me! Hang in there, and be patient with your new baby knee!
Month 7
Trying to be patient but not a happy camper
Pain still there hopefully some day it all goes away
Quads still weak but going to the gym
Slow process Aah
 
Ref1, it would help if you tell us a bit more about your pain.

* Is it constant? If not, what is the pain level on the 1-10 scale?
* Have you had this same pain since surgery?
* What makes the pain better? And what makes it worse?
* Where is the pain located?
* What does your typical day look like in terms of exercise and activity?
* Have you discussed the pain with your surgeon and what did he have to say about it?
 
8 weeks out
Pain still there
Not sure why
People say be patient
Can sleep but wake up with pain
Tylenol taken
Exercise daily with bike ride
Dr says be patient
People with knee replacement don’t understand why they are pain free after 6 months
 
:welome: to BoneSmart.

Are you 8 months or 8 weeks out ?

Please can you give us your exact dates do that we can advise you better.


Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
the BoneSmart view on exercise
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for TKRs
6. Access these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital


The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds


We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom