Revision TKR 2TKR not good

13 months out still pain
Ride a bike 3-4 times a week
Dr still tells me to be patient
Read to many articles stating how well they feel after 5-6 months
ROM 122
Extension is good
Is there an explanation
No revision for me
 
Hello 14 months still have tightness on top of knee and some pain on the outside of the knee
Dr recommendations: steroid injection in the knee
He states ROM is good and XRays look good
Not sure what to do
Am one of the 20% not doing great
Thank you
 
Hello @Ref1
Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

I‘m sorry you continue to struggle with pain, tightness and dissatisfaction with your progress. Thankfully your ROM and x-rays are both good. If you decide to take the injection, I hope it brings you relief. Please stop back at some point and let us know how you’re doing. Wishing you comfort as you contemplate all.
 
Am one of the 20% not doing great
Some of us take a lot longer than some others, in this recovery. I actually had quite a bit more improvement in my second year. Hopefully you will see the same.
 
Am one of the 20% not doing great
You are still doing much better than some of us (me for example).

Is the trend positive? That is, are you better, even a little, compared to say three months ago? If so, then be confident you will get there. I am sure you are tired of being told to be patient, but that is unfortunately how it is.
 
Hello
It will be 2 years in February 2023 since TKR on right knee. Knee has been stiff and painful since operation. Going to see another orthopedic dr for a 2nd opinion regarding a revision. I don’t like thinking of a redo.
Anyone had a great/good results on a redo? Do they replace all components in the knee for this procedure?
Any advise?
Thank you
 
Anyone had a great/good results on a redo?
Many of our members have had good results post revision surgery. Key is to fine someone who specialises in revisions and complex knee surgery.
Do they replace all components in the knee for this procedure?
This depends on your own situation. Discuss your diagnosis with your surgeon. They may need to assess the situation when they have already started the procedure. Your surgeon should discuss all the options with you prior to surgery.
 
I am 7 months out also from a knee revision. Months 4-5 knee felt good. Played golf, biked and walked. Now months 6-7 knee is painful. The quads are sore and pain below the knee.
I am not sure what is going on. My right buttocks are sore. Is this normal or is my hip causing the knee pain?

I am in your corner
 
Well here it is 8 months out from Revision TKR. Pain in quads still there with redness and warm knee. Will be seeing doctor next week. In a phone call with the doctor I was concerned about a loose prosthesis again. He stated he didn’t think so “warming is normal”. Just don’t like what I am feeling
Frustrating and am a whiner
 
@Ref1 I‘m sorry that you are frustrated with this recovery but no, you are not a whiner! Many of us feel this way because the recovery is very slow.

Please tell us the date of your revision so we can update your signature.

I was concerned about a loose prosthesis again.
Is this the reason they did the revision?

By the way, I moved your thread over the the recovery forum since you have had your revision done.
 
Pain in quads still there with redness and warm knee

I'm glad you are seeing your doctor next week. Redness doesn't sound normal. Do you have increased swelling? Are you icing and elevating? If you have increased your activities recently that could explain your symptoms and resting could ease them.
 
Had TKR revision 11 months ago
Quads were weak I did exercises that hopefully would strengthen them
Have now quads and buttocks pain until I ice the area and take Ibuprofen
Pain comes after being on leg for several hours.
I saw the orthopedic and he took XRAYS. X-rays were negative and Dr stated he was pretty sure the prosthesis wasn’t loose. He stated maybe it was my back or it could be the hip. I then made an appointment with a PM&R doctor. He took X-rays and didn’t see anything that stood out but there was a little narrowing.He prescribed Gabapentin. He thought maybe nerves were involved.
Not sure about this drug
Not sure why the pain (Hip?)
This pain has been going on for 2-3 months.
I thought hip pain would come from the groin area. I had a left HKR 6 years ago and pain generated from groin area. Nothing like the pain I have now

Am at a loss
 
When a hip joint is bad, the pain can be in a number of areas. The groin is just one place. Gabapentin is a commonly used drug to help with nerve pain. Lyrica is another. Both can be helpful if that is in fact the problem.

What procedure are you referring to with the HKR reference? That's a new acronym to me.
 
12 months out TKR revision
Pain below knee and quad area
Normal or ?
Hopefully not lose hardware
Can’t go through another tkr
Dr says it’s ok but want progress to take place
 
Welcome back, though I wish it were a happier update!

Please update us: which knee, L or R, has had these surgeries, and what was the 2023 revision date.

It's not necessarily unusual for members to still experience some pain a year out. More than that we can't really say unless you fill us in....

What led to the revision?

What has PT and your surgeon actually told you since then about your pain and function? "Wants progress" can mean so many things...
 
Last edited:
RTKR revision March 30,2023
reason: nuclear bone scan revealed loose prosthesis
First RTKR February 2021

12 month out from this revision and pain below knee and in quads.
Knee was ok at month 5 starting to have pain month 7 below knee and quads
Revision dr. took X-rays and said everything looks good

Bewildered hope it’s not loose hardware

I do leg extensions with about 10 lbs and as I said knee pain below knee 3X 10-15 reps
Still ice but ….

Waiting
 
Also pain below knee sharp
Quads feel sore and weak
 
It sounds like there's been ongoing problems and there's two paths forward:

One is getting a second opinion from a different revision specialist totally unrelated to your current team.

It sounds like, regardless of the condition of your implant, there are soft tissue problems; unfortunately not all ortho surgeons concern themselves with our muscle and tendon issues. Using rest and ice as needed, backing off on weighted leg extensions (which may create or aggravate that sharp pain) and requesting a PT eval seem like logical next steps.

It's exceedingly difficult to rebuild muscle mass and strength at our age. A good PT plus ensuring adequate protein intake are key. Current recommendations for seniors wanting to rebuild muscle are 25 grams protein three times daily. Because of how metabolism works we can't simply protein-load at dinner.
 
Thank you appreciate your response
Just getting somewhat depressed about knee improvement
Why so slow
A 2nd revision to believe puts my RTKR more at risk, more complicated and longer rehab
Why can’t the DRs. come up with a specific diagnosis
all think knee is ok
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom