Revision TKR 2TKR not good

Is there a reason you aren't seeking a second opinion, with possibly a non surgical treatable diagnosis, from an orthopedist not connected with your original one?

Is there a reason you don't want a non surgeon MD (physiatrist or pain specialist) or a PT to check for soft tissue injuries?
 
Last edited:
Has anyone had a cortisone shot after a TKR? It’s been 11 months out and still pain below knee and sore above knee and heard a cortisone shot might help.
 
hello
Went to a PM&R doctor who prescribed Gaberpentin
Have been on it for 2 months with no results.
Can this Revision prosthesis be loose?
if so, not sure I want a third operation on this knee. Looking for alternatives
 
Many surgeons don’t like to do injections in your knee after a joint replacement because of the risk of infection. Getting a cortisone shot should be something you discuss with your doctor. Pain management doctors often do prescribe Gabapentin for nerve pain. Is that what the diagnosis has been for your knee? How much Gabapentin (strength and number of times a day you take it) are you on? Usually they start out with a lower dose and work up to higher levels. It takes at least 3 months for it to work. So, I suggest yiou give it some time and, if you still have pain, go back to the pain management doctor and discuss trying a different dosage.
 
If your implant is loose, it’s not a good idea to ignore that, though I certainly understand not wanting a third surgery on the same knee.

By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread. Please stop starting new threads, we need all your information here in this thread, so we can go back and reread it, so we can help you better.

This also benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on. Or, you can read more about how to find your thread in the following article:
 
Gabapentin was prescribed for back issues that might be related to my knee
Started out low doses 1 a day for a week then progress up to 4x a day

dr states by looking at X-ray and manipulating knee it is not loose after 11 months out



Just trying to figure out and read cortisone shot might help
It was feeling good after 5-6 months
 
I am 7 months out also from a knee revision. Months 4-5 knee felt good. Played golf, biked and walked. Now months 6-7 knee is painful. The quads are sore and pain below the knee.
I am not sure what is going on. My right buttocks are sore. Is this normal or is my hip causing the knee pain?

Well here it is 8 months out from Revision TKR. Pain in quads still there with redness and warm knee. Will be seeing doctor next week. In a phone call with the doctor I was concerned about a loose prosthesis again. He stated he didn’t think so “warming is normal”. Just don’t like what I am feeling

12 month out from this revision and pain below knee and in quads.
Knee was ok at month 5 starting to have pain month 7 below knee and quads
Revision dr. took X-rays and said everything looks good

Just getting somewhat depressed about knee improvement
Why so slow

@Ref1 Have any of your doctors tested you for an infection? If not, maybe you should request that test.
 
not this one
After 1st TKR this was done and also nuclear bone scan

Wouldn’t want a 3rd knee operation
Hopefully it is something else

Thank u
 
Wouldn’t want a 3rd knee operation
Hopefully it is something else
I understand how you feel, I would feel the same way. But, if they find something that really does need surgery, it would be worth doing it.

If it was me I’d ask them to order some blood work to check for an infection. I’m not saying that you have one, but if you do, you can get very sick if you ignore it. If the blood tests are fine, then hopefully they will look for something else.

You may need to consider getting another different opinion. I guess it all depends on how bad your knee feels and what you can put up with if you do nothing about it. I can relate to this. My PKR has not had a good outcome. There are times it feels so ”out of joint.” I’ve had 3 second opinions, and none of them have found something to fix. At this point I’m managing well enough so I’m willing to just live with it, because like you, I don’t really want another surgery (none of the opinions have offered me that, anyway.)

Keep us posted on your situation. We care and we’re here to support you. :flwrysmile:
 
I am so sorry you continue to struggle, Ref1. You may not need a second revision surgery, but it may benefit you to get a third opinion as, mendogal, suggested. A fresh set of eyes on the case. A revision specialist totally unrelated to your current OS, or his practice.

Another consideration may be an online consultation with HSS, Hospital for Special Surgery, which is the top rated orthopedic hospital in the country. They are located in NYC, with other east coast locations, but will review cases remotely. I will include the link. HERE

So sorry if we were remiss in in clarifying it's to your benefit to keep all of your posts in your own thread, right here, This will provide easier access for you to reflect back on at a later date.

I wish you comfort and hope you're able to get an appointment with a new revision specialist soon for an additional opinion and hopefully clear insight that leads to resolution and optimal healing.
We're here for you always!
@Ref1
 
Thanks for the dosing information on your Gabapentin. But I also need to know the strength of the pills. You can find that information on the pill bottle. Gabapentin comes in many strengths.
 
100mg per tab
1per day 7 days
2 per day
3 per day
4 per day
 
Hi Ref1
I am tagging @Jamie for you so she doesn't miss your response.
Have a nice evening!
 
So it looks like you are taking 100mg of Gabapentin 4 times a day for a total of 400mg per day. Is that correct? If so, that’s actually a fairly low amount for nerve pain. You might want to speak to the issuing doctor about increasing the dose to see if that helps you.
 
Hi
Had 2nd TKR revision March 2023 due to loose hardware from 1st TKR May 2021
Present 0ctober 2024:
Knee is still not right
Quads hurt in the morning and if I stay on leg for a few hours the pain below knee starts to impact my movement
Have to rest and use ice
I had a bone scan in August 2024 to determine if hardware was loose again
Ortho Dr. who performed the REVISION said results were negative….
Aah no answers
This feels worse than the pain after my 1st TKR
 
I had a bone scan in August 2024 to determine if hardware was loose again
Ortho Dr. who performed the REVISION said results were negative….
Aah no answers
This must be so discouraging. I am sorry you're still dealing with pain several years past your original surgery.
Because it's been over a year since your revision and you're still struggling, consider making an appointment with a reputable revision specialist, unrelated to your current OS's practice. Possibly a new set of eyes on the case will reveal something? The fact that you feel worse than you did after your original TKR has to be unsettling and really interfere with enjoying all that you love. Please consider looking further.
Wishing you comfort always. :console2:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom