Guest viewing is limited

TKR 2nd TKR - 6/26/2025 - repeating same good BS post op protocols!

Hello folks! Well it’s my 4 week anniversary and sleep last night was pretty tough. The lower right side of my operated leg was so sensitive (more than normal), I couldn’t find a comfortable position. My leg/knee feels stable but definitely can feel more pins and needles/numbness and pain points this morning. I’m taking ES Tylenol every 6-7 hours. I know not to compare but my 1st TKR at a month I was ahead in recovery/feels than I am now. But I’ll stay the course and keep chugging along positively.
 
I know not to compare but my 1st TKR at a month I was ahead in recovery/feels than I am now. But I’ll stay the course and keep chugging along positively.
It is so difficult not to compare when you've had the other knee done. But, it's is true that every knee is different -- even two knees in the same person.

Remember that you are still VERY early days in this year-long recovery. Work on that Patience Muscle. (listen to me preaching to do as I say and not as I do. :heehee: )

Slow and steady wins the race. You've got this!
 
I’ve haven’t been going to PT. Should I go back? I’m not feeling these sensations because of missing PT am I? Doubt creeping in. Haha. I do exercises/bike every day so I’m thinking to continue to skip. Thoughts?
 
I do exercises/bike every day so I’m thinking to continue to skip
Sounds like you are doing plenty. We have members who never went to PT and only did ADLs (activities of daily living) recovered without problem.

Remember this is a roller-coaster ride: ups an downs are normal. The good news is that the slope gradually flattens out with time.
 
I agree. At this point I think you are pretty well schooled in the exercise and activity needed to regain your mobility and strength. I’d give things a few weeks and see where you are. You can always go back if you feel you need some help.
 
Thank you for the reassurance! Today knee/leg feels worse than yesterday. Pins and needles and numbness kinda freaking me out.
 
This is not a straight, every day gets better, recovery. You may have done a bit more activity recently which can cause some extra pain. Or, things in your body are just adjusting as it learns it’s new, coming, normal. Try not to worry, all will be well. Don’t fall into the trap of thinking, oh this hurts, there must be an exercise to fix it. Unfortunately, there isn’t always something we can do, other than be patient and let our body heal. And, healing takes a long time, but you’ll get there.
 
I was on my feet quite a bit yesterday and also sleep wasn’t great so may be contributing to how I’m feeling today.
 
There you go! Those are very likely reasons for a change in how you feel day today. This is good because you’re listening to your body, analyzing possible cause and effect, and that allows you to adjust your next day or two for less activity and time on your feet to hopefully see a reduction in those tingly feelings. The numbness is just a factor of recovery and you can count on it being months before you see a lot of lessening in the numbers areas.
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope the weekend is all you want it to be. :SUNsmile:
Thanks for sharing your recovery with all!
@ferddword
 
Hi @Layla Thank you for the well wishes. Appreciate all of you! Yesterday knee was feeling pretty darn good. Didn’t feel really swollen just tightness around shin. So what did I do - checked into ODIC. LOL. SMH. Today feeling blocky/swollen. So I’ll take it easy and ice up. But I did catch a peek into what it will be! Have an enjoyable weekend!
 
One thing. Should I continue to take meloxicam? I’ve stopped the hydromorphone about 5 days and just on ES Tylenol every 6 hours.
 
If the Tylenol takes care of your pain, there is no need to continue taking an NSAID. Are you taking 1000mg doses of the Tylenol on a set schedule of 6 hours?
 
Hi @Jamie - yes, I’m taking 2-500mg every 6-7 hours. So yeah EST is handling the pain, but doesn’t Meloxicam help with swelling?
 
Yes, I didn’t realize you still had a problem with swelling. If that’s the case, it may be beneficial to continue with it for a while longer. You could always do a little test a stop for a few days and see if there is any difference one way or another. However, if your swelling is significant, it’s probable best to use it for a while longer.

Remember, this swelling is a result of overdoing things, so it’s important to watch it on those days you’re tempted to do things because you’re feeling good. You’re just a month out from surgery. Your body might be ready for some slight increases in activity or exercise, but as you’ve found out, it’s easy to overdo things at this early stage.
 
I would say it’s normal swelling at this stage, but yes I think it’s when I’m a bit overactive it swells a bit more. I’ll try and experiment with stopping for a few days. Thanks again!
 
Mostly just general stiffness/tightness from swelling I’m experiencing. Not necessarily “pain” unless maybe my tolerance is just higher. Should I continue to take ES Tylenol also? Or just as needed?
 
Only you can judge how you are feeling at this point. As I suggested with the NSAIDs, you can test just taking the Tylenol when you develop pain and see if things are still stable. You’ll know it’s too soon to stop if you get increasing pain when you try a test.
 
I just need to continue to heal and reduce swelling. Ice, elevation, and time of course. But will either EST and/or meloxicam aid in reducing the swelling? Assuming I’m not feeling much pain per se.
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom