Guest viewing is limited

TKR 2nd TKR - 6/26/2025 - repeating same good BS post op protocols!

1 week today! After the encouraging PT session, what do I do?! I push my knee to do extra exercises and did the bike for 5 mins. I overdid it. Knee feels like it’s on fire. Just need to keep icing and not get ahead of myself each day.
 
Do be sure to take something for the pain. Allowing it to continue hurting will mean the inflamed tissues will cause more swelling….which then causes more pain. It’s a vicious cycle that you want to get on top of by decreasing pain. Ice, elevation and some type of pain med on a schedule is the answer. And, of course, let your knee rest a bit for a few days. Only gentle bends and stretches and some walking around every couple of hours are needed. It you attend another therapy session, make sure it’s a gentle one.
 
Thanks @Jamie - definitely been on the rotation today meds, ice, elevation. Trial and error I guess on how much to work at it each day. I have to remember I’m only a week out. Need to let it heal more.
 
After the encouraging PT session, what do I do?! I push my knee to do extra exercises and did the bike for 5 mins. I overdid it.
:bignono:

Remember what you said:

After revisiting all the BS recommendations and my own journey 8 years ago, I’m going to hold off on formal PT for a couple weeks.

I hope you recover from overdoing it quickly. :flwrysmile:
 
I push my knee to do extra exercises and did the bike for 5 mins. I overdid it. Knee feels like it’s on fire.
Now, you know better than that! The meds, ice, and elevation are your go-to exercises for the next few days, and maybe even a week. There is no rush to through this recovery. Only time is the great recoverer, not exercises.
 
Sorry you joined the ODIC (overdid it club) so early in recovery, @ferddword. But don't beat yourself up too much -- we all do it sooner or later (and some of us -- like me -- make several visits!)

Think of it as a good reminder not to push. You've got this!
 
After the encouraging PT session, what do I do?! I push my knee to do extra exercises and did the bike for 5 mins. I overdid it
Uh oh. I'm so sorry, truly, but what's a recovery without a stint in the Over did it Club?
Hopefully you only did a drive thru and you're already feeling better. :fingersx:

Any plans for the 4th? A little bbq maybe? I had my surgery same time of year as you, one day later in June (27th) and I don't recall what I did that 4th....guessing not much? At least nothing memorable, lol.
Stay safe and have a good day!
 
Happy 4th to everyone in the USA! Recovered pretty good from yesterday’s push. We had a bit of BBQ today with some family and I had enough strength (and leaning on the walker) to grill the dogs and jalapeno poppers. I’m currently icing and elevating (and full!)

The knee seems to be getting stronger each day - I mean it’s still super swollen, tight/numb, but seems to gradually lessen day by day.

Hope everyone is doing great on this holiday weekend!

@Layla - Happy 1 year anniversary. How’s yours coming along?
 
The knee seems to be getting stronger each day - I mean it’s still super swollen, tight/numb, but seems to gradually lessen day by day.
That's a great report. Being able to feel progress is so helpful.
 
Hello ferddword,
Great news you were able to celebrate with family...and even as an active participant! I hope you're not feeling any ill effects today. It's so easy to overdo it in these early weeks especially. Keep the icing and elevating going for the swelling and hopefully it brings you relief. Thanks for the anniversary wishes! My THR was eight years ago and I'm thankful to say doing very well! We're so lucky for this second chance after our joints deteriorated. I am happy for you that you're making nice progress. :thumb:
@ferddword
 
We had a bit of BBQ today with some family and I had enough strength (and leaning on the walker) to grill the dogs and jalapeno poppers.
Boy, I can believe how well you are doing! I wasn't even able to eat much of anything for the first month, much less help to prepare it! You have earned yourself a day of rest today.
 
@sistersinhim - thank you! Honestly I’m a bit surprised also. I have to check myself to take it easy after doing a few things including some PT exercises. It’s delicate balancing act between doing stuff because you feel kinda ok and remembering that you’re still healing.
 
My view from the couch rehabbing certainly helps the healing! Peaceful and beautiful.

BBQ grilling!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] 2nd TKR - 6/26/2025 - repeating same good BS post op protocols!
    IMG_1938.webp
    118.7 KB · Views: 48
  • [Bonesmart.org] 2nd TKR - 6/26/2025 - repeating same good BS post op protocols!
    IMG_3611.webp
    99.1 KB · Views: 40
Hey! Seems as if we are on a similar trajectory with all the same caveats. It's great to feel good and to be doing so well and at the same time, not pushing it too far and figuring out where that boundary is likely to be. Of course the boundary keeps moving because we're getting better each day which is a good thing!

Glad to hear that like me, you are actually having a positive experience with physical therapy. The truth is we really need their help. They're the ones who can really determine what it's safe to move from walker to crutch or cane and when it's okay to drive and all that good stuff. In addition, they are the ones with eyes on us that can see if something is a little off or not as it should be.

Good for both of us and it's nice to be this far along isn't it?

There's so many details and things to take care of and have in place in time for surgery with the specific schedule, it's really hard for me to believe that I'm on the other side of that and don't have a giant laundry list of things to get done at particular times and to keep track of.
 
@karwask - yes! . Keep the positive momentum going and try/hope nothing derails it. With PT, not pushing too hard and having the right therapist that understands less is sometimes more is still super important. Good luck on your recovery!
 
LOVE your view…..man, that couch would be my best friend with a view like that!!
 
It looks like you're on a good recovery path.

My knees are 2 years old and 2 1/2 years old now. They are great - in fact my surgeon look askance when I said I was leg pressing over 225# and told me to cut back!

A few things I found very important during healing and rehab:

1) remember that it's a good 12 weeks for tendons and ligaments to complete their most basic healing. Regardless of how good our ROM is, we can't really challenge our new knees with strengthening exercises until those key support structures can protect us or we risk acute damage.

2) when I overdid something, either on distance walked or time walking or, later on, exercise reps, I would immediately back off for 48 hours rest and ice, then resume but at 1/2 to 2/3 the time or distance or reps. Then my increases would be in very small increments.

3) don't try to do all exercises and lots of reps and sets the way they cram them into a PT session! Our bodies react without pain and swelling if the exercise you choose to do is spread out at intervals through the day with plenty of rest, ice, and elevation in between.
 
Last edited:
@mendogal - hi there. Thank you for these tips and reminders. I was thinking about asking the team about some of these so you read my mind. That’s the thing as the recovery is going in a positive direction, I have to remind myself not to try and do too much.

How long does the the tight band feeling go away? Gotta be related to the swelling I’m sure and my knee is still pretty darn swollen.
 
This tight band feeling's disappearance can't be limited to a certain timeframe. It is different for everyone. This tightness was the last thing to go for me. I remember complaining about it here many times. I was told, and I'll tell you, be patient, it'll come!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom