TKR 2nd TKR - 6/26/2025 - repeating same good BS post op protocols!

I've never had to wear the stockings after any of my 12 knee surgeries. Boy, was I glad about that! My OSs knew that I would keep active enough to not have to worry about blood clots. It sounds like you are pretty active, too, so maybe your OS would allow you to not have to wear them. I won't hurt to ask.
 
@sistersinhim - I think so also. I’ll run it by him. Woke up Day 5 - knee stiff/swollen/tight. All expected I suppose. My operated foot was swollen then it seemed like it went down then overnight it’s swollen again. Guess that’s expected also. Sleep wasn’t that great last night. Gonna keep chugging along!
 
Sleep wasn’t that great last night. Gonna keep chugging along!
That's the spirit. Sleep is really hard for everyone in the early weeks.
Once you are off all opiates- try a sedative antihistamine ( over the counter Nytol- diphenhydramine in the UK). I really found it helpful. I alternated it with some zopiclone from my GP and later herbal valerian. The other thing I found helpful was resting my knee on the opened coolwater jacket of my Aircast Cryocuff and changing the iced water in the night if I woke.
 
My operated foot was swollen then it seemed like it went down then overnight it’s swollen again. Guess that’s expected also.
Yes, it is expected and will continue for weeks.

I was just reading a study in the Journal of Orthopedic Experience & Innovation which noted that post-operative swelling in knee replacement patients tends to begin around day 3 or 4, peak between days 7 and 10, and then slowly resolve but lasting 8 weeks or longer in many patients. The authors noted that there is considerable variability in the degree of swelling and the timing, but it is (in their words) "a universal response."

They conclude that (1.) movement (just a short walk or some ankle pumps) every hour or so, and (2.) icing and elevating for at least 40 minutes/hour -- during the first two weeks post-op is the best way to manage it.

Nice to see that this study supports what we've been saying here on BoneSmart all along! :wink:
 
What was really strange about my feet after my TKR, both feet peeled. I looked awful. I assume it was from the swelling.

Chugging along is a good way to describe it. And don't forget that rollercoaster riding! I found that terribly concerning until I learned it was normal.
 
[Bonesmart.org] 2nd TKR - 6/26/2025 - repeating same good BS post op protocols!

Lots of ups and downs. Hold on tight!
 
Team - is there a guide on how long to expect to use a walker, then to crutches or trekking poles then ultimately walking on your own without aids?
 
@ferddword Use of walking aids is a very individual experience because it depends on personal factors, like how long you were limping prior to surgery, how strong your leg and hip muscles are, etc.

The determining factors is your gait. You need the walker not just for support, but to ensure your gait is strong and balanced and that you don't develop a limp. For some people, it takes a couple of weeks, while others use it for a month or more.

Your physical therapist is the best person to assess your gair and balance and can help you with gait training.

Don't be in a hurry to abandon the walker -- it will help you walk better in the long run.
 
I used it out in public for about 2 months because I was afraid of being knocked down. You probably won't use it that long, but if you do, it's no problem. You are the only one who can tell if you need it or not. PT might make suggestions, but you have the final say so, and that's for all things recovery related! No one knows your body as well as you do!
 
It also depends a bit on environmental risks. I live in a crowded London suburb with lots of old tree roots making the pavements uneven. Because of the fall hazards I used a walking stick for months to signal that I needed space and to help give me confidence outside.
 
Hi all - went to PT today. I kinda didn’t want to, but I figure I’ll see what they say/do. She was really good. Not too nice and not too strict. I told her how I felt about bonesmart protocols. She said she agreed to not push the knee where it aggravates but she wanted me to keep it in motion so it doesn’t develop scar tissue. ‍

Well I’m a week post op tomorrow and I’m at 8 extension and 100 flexing. She said that was good. She wants me to get to 0. Gave me a few exercises and stretches. I actually did the bike while I was there. Thought it would be difficult. But not too bad.

Overall she said I’m in a great spot and I’ll do just fine. She said she has me for 6 weeks but she thinks I won’t need to do all of it.

So definitely encouraging!
 
but she wanted me to keep it in motion so it doesn’t develop scar tissue. ‍
While gentle motion is good for the joint, to keep it mobile, scar tissue does not develop because we don’t keep it moving. It always amazes me how much “scar tissue” is inaccurately discussed.
 
You are doing fabulous for this early in your recovery. Just keep doing what you’re doing with some gradual increases as you feel up to it. The motion each day is important. But the trick is to find that balance between movement and rest that allows healing and keeps the joint loose and lubricated.
 
She said she agreed to not push the knee where it aggravates but she wanted me to keep it in motion so it doesn’t develop scar tissue.
That is absolutely fine.Its the pushing past pain and holding painful exercises that causes inflammation. Movement is good- Motion is Lotion.
 
This early in your recovery, 3x a week seems a bit much. Just let your knee be your guide and you'll be fine.
 
Happy One Week Anniversary...you are doing great!
Hope you're feeling well today after your first PT session yesterday. If you're not already, I suggest you ice after your sessions.
Sounds like you may have a good match in a PT and she won't push you onto pain. Wonderful news!
May today be a good day. :)
@ferddword
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom