TKR 2nd knee, 2nd recovery

I've always loved the quote about the US and England being two countries divided by a common language!

@Sara61 - glad things are getting better in several areas. They put me on one of the diabetes injectables recently and I'm tempted to eat a bunch of pizza or bread to see if my celiac issues offset the constipation it causes! Of course, that wouldn't help the blood sugar - vicious circle.
 
Last edited:
@Sara61, You certainly have an excellent OS who listens to you and who has given consideration to what exactly is required to regain ROM and how it affects the patient.
Regarding the constipation, I was just wondering if you are going to have the good old Brussels sprouts this Christmas ? As children we used to call them depth charges for the ahem ‘after effects’ on the imbibers- might be worth trying.
Don’t overdue things, remember you are still healing and enjoy the season.
Hope your shelves are stocked to bursting with food, the presents stacked beneath the tree and your heart filled with love from your family and friends.
:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
 
Brussel Sprouts- hum tempted but as no-one else eats them probably not, although they are probably a better choice than what I currently taking :heehee: this is worse than the knee, infact I haven't thought about Mrs knee all day long.
Since I stopped the Tramadol, I seem be managing just fine on the Paracetamol and Iberbrufen. Infact I'm on a lesser dosage than offered, the knee (touch wood) is not hurting, which I think is a blessing. God willing everything else will sort itself out xx


Tomorrow evening we celebrate Christmas it is the main event in Portugal, a tradition I've kept going for over 35 years, sadly this year we are just 3, but I will ensure from the sidelines that my husband prepares everything in accordance to their traditions. We each have a small gift to offer each other. On morning of the 25th, Carlos & I will open our stockings. In the past when the house was full we would have hearty English breakfast, followed by a late lunch after the "Queens Speech" this year we will forgo breakfast as we have invited a few lonely souls to join us for lunch, so it will be all hands or at least my husbands on deck as a Turkey needs to be roasted with all the trimmings.

May I take this opportunity to Wish You All, my dear friends and fellow BoneSmarties a Wonderful, Healthy, Happy and mostly Pain free Christmas.
Feliz Natal para todos :merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:

With Love Sarah
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sara, glad someone clarified what “plaster” is! I kept looking at the pic and thinking that it looked like the aquacel dressing that I had on for the first few days post op. Lol!

Love hearing your Christmas traditions.
Merry Christmas to you and your family!
Praying that we all have minimal pain and deep and restful sleep!

Sharon
 
OUCH :tantrum:- please tell me never to talk to soon, not sure if I've over done it or the pain meds have finally left my system and the pain has returned with a vengeance, literally reducing me to tears :boohoo: suddenly the whole sadness of my missing my daughter has suddenly hit me, it's such a strange Year for so many of us.

We celebrated Christmas Lunch instead of Dinner, my MIL gets tired easily & knowing my knee tires out at the end of the day, we decided to switch around the celebration time.

Carlos my husband excelled, he made Fresh Clams to start, served in Olive oil & garlic, served with crunchy crusty Portuguese bread, followed by grilled Cod and a medley of vegetables, dessert we had the traditional Bolo Rei ( Kings cake ) & I boldly had a few glasses of wine.

This afternoon I prepared the Brandy Butter for the Christmas puddings ( tbh it's my favourite part) tomorrow (knee willing) we have to prepare and roast the turkey we have guests at lunchtime.

Meanwhile I need this pain to:censored: I have taken a paracetamol 1g so hopefully it will kick in soon, bags & bags of :ice: all down my leg and a sos pill for later tonight :praying: it won't be needed as tummy will not be happy xx

The ups and downs of the knee replacement journey, Roll on Summer xx
 
@Sara61 Massive virtual hugs, :friends: seriously so sorry you are feeling so sore and missing your daughter too.
Pain can be a total:censored: and of course it just makes all your other emotions feel worse too. Hopefully the paracetamol will kick in along with the ice and give you some relief, I will be thinking about you.
I have to say ‘Bravo’ to Carlos :thumb: -that food sounds amazing!
My fingers will be crossed your knee will feel much better for tomorrow.
Wishing you a happy and healthy Christmas!
baby-jesus
 
Dang knees can be SO touchy early on, sorry yours chose the holiday to act up. The food sounds amazing, and it seems like Carlos is really stepping up to the plate for you. Hope tomorrow is a better day.
 
Hope your pain is gone by tomorrow and you have a restful night. Bless Carlos, that meal sounds yummy. I made chili today, an appetizer for tomorrow and a chocolate pie. Definitely tired and sore tonight, just too much. Then our Christmas plans were canceled so all for naught. It's really too bad we're faced with recovery plus covid concerns at Christmas. On to the New Year!
 
Can Carlos come over to cook for me?

I'm sorry the knee is ouch - I'm guessing it's just a bit too much going on. Hopefully you'll get a good night's sleep and be much better in the am (wouldn't that be a great Christmas gift?).

I hope you can have a nice virtual Christmas with your daughter - put the computer or phone at her chair at the table and have dinner together.

Merry Christmas!
 
@Starsfan22 That is such a shame, this awful Covid is disrupting so many families world wide, its just so terribly terribly sad, and with all these new variants who knows when this nightmare will end.
On the plus side you will have a tasty Chilli appetiser & delicious chocolate pie to enjoy, its a shame I can't pop over as Im a chocolate pie fan :snork:
Finger crossed our guests will come later today as otherwise we will be eating Turkey for the next couple of months :heehee:
Have a blessed day regardless chocolate pie and all xxx
 
Whilst I wallow in pain, Yep I admitted it, just too good to have been true, two weeks after major surgery to be pain free - who was I kidding, hoping maybe, but the cold early morning reality was, I was still fully covered by the previous medication Tramadol which has now vacated my body, Paracetamol and Iberbrufen just are not sufficient to hit the nail on the head so now awaiting an SOS pill to take effect, praying there are no further sneaky side effects that disagree with me :praying:

Whilst many of us have had our celebrations disrupted, I lie here and think of the others less fortunate than us, I have a good home, a caring and wonderful husband, (great chef it now appears) and two new bionic knees, We should give Thanks to our blessings xx

@SaraK a Virtual lunch might be a tad awkward, she is spending the day with her boyfriends sisters family, a very large noisy one at that for which I am happy, Josh her partner is just so lovely and will make sure she is also enjoying her day too, we will video call them later in the day and God willing we can all get together in 2022.
Wishing you a blessed day, with those that you love xx
 
@Sara61 Hope by now that knee has calmed down a bit. Indeed 2 weeks out is a bit too early for all the activity. Please do take it easy. As you very wisely said earlier - it is just one day in the year.
 
@Jaycey - famous last words, we started out with good intentions but being a English lass, only I know how to prepare a Christmas Lunch English style, Carlos did all the main prep, peeling tatties, vegetables etc but I prepared the turkey, we had a simple starter of fresh King sized Prawns, followed by Turkey toasted with lemon & Black pepper, tatties with thyme, good old Yorkshire Puddings, Sage n onion stuffing, and bread sauce, Dessert was Homemade Christmas pudding with Brandy Butter & English Christmas cake, the boys drank champagne & Red wine and I stuck to juice. All in all everyone enjoyed and now I am snuggly tucked up in bed, a cuppa by my side. Leg elevate and covered in ice hopefully I don't pay the price later but if I do, only I'm to blame. My husband surprised me this morning with a beautiful swarovski diamond bracelet, and breakfast in bed what more could a girl want :roseshwr:. I hope you all had a lovely day xx
 
@Rubyroo it seems to be improving but not resolved as yet, I was told up to 6 weeks so early days I suppose.
I spoke yo my daughter several times today, just knowing that her boyfriends family had made her so welcome was a comfort to me.

@Starsfan22 Yes they are potatoes, I think its a Scottish term :chinstroke:
 
Happy Boxing day Everyone :wreath:this is probably my favourite day of the year, a day when one can sit/lie back and relax, after the hustle & bustle of Christmas, A day where my knee gets to heal and I get to rest.
I was amazed how well my knee behaved, I prepared a 3 course meal, managed to sit at the table (reasonably comfortably) and washed up after. (Not bad for 18 days post surgery) I truly believed I was going to pay the price but amazingly not so, the knee aches, but nothing out of the norm, I removed the band aid and the incision looks good, this time it is not sensitive to fabrics and feels less numb than the other one was.
Occasionally without thinking my knee even lifts itself on to the bed, the bend is good too, I have no idea what my ROM or extension are, nor particularly bothered, as long as it does what it is meant to do.
I'm still using both crutches. I can manage with one, but feel safer and stronger with two as it helps my gait which I try to improve day by day.
Finally my body is sorting itself out, I'm only taking Paracetamol and Iberbrufen, plus Laevolac, (this helps the constipation), my incontinence from the Epidural is slowly improving so hopeful for normality in the future. The knee feels tight but that is the norm, :ice: and elevation will sort that out & with time, in this recovery TIME really is the essence.
Happy relaxing day to all xx
 
Last edited:
@Sara61 Happy Boxing Day or St Stephen’s day as it is called here.
You are rocking your recovery:bow:
Love hearing about how you are doing and glad today is your relaxing day. I am following your lead, lunch is over and the recliner beckons:thumb:
 
A very Happy St. Stephen's day to you too.
Enjoy your Recliner, I'm sure you have deserved itxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom