TKR 2nd knee, 2nd recovery

I think my knee makes me pay the price the day after, having giving it lots of tlc during the day - tonight it's hurting like bilio :tantrum: it's the inner side and top of the shin that hurts the most, hoping that I've not accidentally done something. I will take a pain killer shortly but it appears Iberbrufen isn't agreeing with me either, tonight I have a mouth full of ulcers.
Any homemade recipes to combat these please ?
GEE if its not one thing its another, dreading another sleepless night, this is such a rollercoaster of a ride, that I'm physically & mentally tired of being on it.. :tiredwheel::yawn:
 
Oh poor you, I know I always got mouth ulcers whenever either I was run down or I overdid oranges or tomatoes(fruit acids). Try using a sore throat numbing spray if it’s handy, gargle with mouthwash or salted water gargle, eat bland cold foods- it’s also an excuse to eat ice cream to help numb it. Some medications have mouth ulcers as a side effect but honestly given how recent your surgery is it’s more than likely just being a bit run down from the surgery and from possibly from being a member of the ODIC!
I don’t think you have actually given yourself an injury I think it’s just the last few days catching up with you, more than likely your soft tissue and nerves are putting their foot down and demanding you stop- if it was anyone else with the same symptoms you would caringly tell them to rest, ice, medicate and elevate! You deserve the same care:console2:
Remember we all have the picture in our minds of what we want our Christmases to be and in spite of knowing better we all push ourselves to get there- the two main days are over now, how about we all in the name of Elsa from Frozen ‘Let it Go’? :snow:The new year is ahead full of possibilities surely we can slow down and stop pushing ourselves, stop rushing to the finish line, just stop and breathe? I am, of course, including myself in this:eyebrows:
Hopefully your pain medication helps get you through tonight and you take it (more!) easy over the next few days.
 
@Eire1 Oh Georgina , where would I be without your good and informative logic, seriously you have been an enormous help to making me see that "doing what I say to others" -I should apply to myself.
Although I didn't go on BoneSmart at 4am I was as usual wide awake, I'm trying not to use the phone at silly hours as this just stimulates my brain and makes sleep impossible thereafter, I resorted to a SOS pill and thankfully nodded off. Although I was aware no position was remotely comfortable, this morning to add insult to injury my :censored: back is hurting too, top it off with a tight band feeling, incontinence, mouth ulcers and lack of sleep. I'm a bit of a wreck, then the emotional side is brimming on the side lines- tears are not far off, but being an advisor and having been on BoneSmart continuously for two years I know this is all normal for a knee replacement surgery & I remind myself daily of this but it is just so exhausting.
I know deep down it does get better and that is my goal to keep positive and I should practice what I preach - I'll get there in the end xx


Wishing us daft women who overdid it all in the last couple of days- a stress free relaxing week- sending virtual hugs to you all xx
 
Sounds like the stress of all the preparations added to the stress of recovery from major surgery is having its impact.

Be good to yourself today my friend! Doze off in front of some mindless TV. Ice like crazy. Just a minor bump in the recovery road!
 
Sara , I read all your messages because I always connect with what you say, whether it's to me or others. I feel like we are very similar in our outlook and that we understand each other! You are a warm and caring person who reaches out to others and you help them.
The very least I can do is be there for you!
I know the back pain seems like the last thing you need on top of everything else, its just like the final straw that breaks the camels back! If you can get some of the over the counter pain cream for your back I am sure Carlos will rub it in, if its not available try a hot water bottle on your back.
One more thing I can suggest is to have a really good cry - it helps release all the stress your body has accumulated in the past 20 days between your surgery and all the side effects from the surgery along with Christmas and the pressures that that brings. It helps, I know,:thumb: been there, done that!
As Jaycey says - be good to yourself today and every day going forward!
 
Carlos my husband excelled, he made Fresh Clams to start, served in Olive oil & garlic, served with crunchy crusty Portuguese bread, followed by grilled Cod and a medley of vegetables, dessert we had the traditional Bolo Rei ( Kings cake ) & I boldly had a few glasses of wine.
we had a simple starter of fresh King sized Prawns, followed by Turkey toasted with lemon & Black pepper, tatties with thyme, good old Yorkshire Puddings, Sage n onion stuffing, and bread sauce, Dessert was Homemade Christmas pudding with Brandy Butter & English Christmas cake, the boys drank champagne & Red wine and I stuck to juice.
Can I come to stay with you for a bit????
 
Wow out of boredom I looked back at my 2019 posts to compare the knees at day 20, my left knee *1st replacement was much further along, in some ways, despite my thinking that my right knee was far stronger prior to the surgery, a few differences, I was still on the Tramadol, I had, had already a few sessions of PT and even a dinner out with friends ( not that I appeared to have enjoyed it lol ) the rest is the same, the ODIC & swelling, I'm bit alarmed as I was also just using 1 crutch at day 20, not sure I would feel comfortable using just 1 crutch at the moment :unsure:.
Just shows you that no two replacements are the same, will be interesting to see what Rui my PT therapist thinks tomorrow he looked after my knee in 2019 & at day 20, I was 120 ROM - now I curious what I will be tomorrow, ( just as well not today as I can hardly bend it at all) oh well.....
 
@Rubyroo unfortunately the urge has passed maybe I need to watch a sad movie or something, funnily it comes and goes usually if I'm in pain & I get frustrated with the whole chabang.
I'm currently under the covers dear lady :rotfl: trying to elevate this swollen leg, I think finally I've managed to get the hight right with my pillows, such a shame postage to Portugal is dreadful otherwise I would have treated myself to a lounge doctor - Thanks for the hugs xxx
 
I'm a bit of a wreck, then the emotional side is brimming on the side lines- tears are not far off,

Pulls at my heart strings to read this. I’m sorry. Big hugs to you, Sara :console2:
I hope you're feeling at peace by evening and sleep well tonight.
 
Does anyone else have trouble with elevation? For some reason this awkward knee does not like it, I've tried different sized pillows exactly in the same format as recommended on here, but minutes after my leg goes up so does the pain level also too - feeling frustrated :headbang:
 
With my LTKR, elevation was my friend. With this RTKR, I am in your boat. I have tried many pillows of different heights and sizes and have not found an elevation position that is comfortable for more than a few minutes. I try every week in case something has changed.
 
@Sara61 i am sorry you are feeling so badly and having several things contributing to it. Even though my limp has improved, I am still dealing with hip and low back pain and I am 4 months out. I am thankful that I can usually sleep pretty good but I do make a few changes in position thru the night.


Just found out that my son also has Covid and this is second time for him. His sweet babies have had terrible colds with coughing and they could have Covid too.
Those of you that pray, will you keep my family in your prayers. I suspect there will be more of us that get Covid.
Have a great day!
 
@Rubyroo - Surgery went fine, but yesterday was awful they under medicated me, doctor wasn't available so I spent 10 hours in agony, saw my surgeon today, he has altered the medication, I have managed a shower, used the cpm machine and managed to walk 10 paces, hopefully will get discharged tomorrow xx
Oh, Sara61, so sorry!! I hope you have received the pain meds you need and deserve. They make a big difference.
 
@Sks1997 Unfortunately Covid, Omicron are rife throughout the world and there appears little we can do about it , at some stage we will all have had it.
I will hold your family in my prayers, a mild outcome for your son, and free of covid for the babies.
It's all a very scary as really one has no idea when or where it will be lurking it's ugly head.
My prayers that it will keep all of us healing out of Covids way too xx


@beaverturtle Yes I got sorted on the 2nd day, Thanks for your concern xx
 
How does that tea taste? What flavor did you get?
I had the original Senna version at first, it tastes like an herbal tea. We bought another box of Senna Peppermint next time and so that tastes like peppermint.

The last time I had the compression socks after my first TKR, I was 35 lbs heavier and they were thigh-high and kept rolling down. Really uncomfortable. This time I had knee-highs, only during the day and for 2 weeks.

No tummy injections here, is that to prevent clotting? I took a daily aspirin for 30 days for that. Yes, after reading I see that's what it's for.

Yes, plaster makes us Americans think of a plaster cast for a broken arm, etc. We call those bandages or gauze pads.

Brussels sprouts = depth charges :rotfl: I love Brussels sprouts!!!

I'm so sorry you ended up with mouth ulcers! :censored: They must be what we call canker sores? Too much acidic and/or spicy foods. My son gets them when he eats too many chips and salsa or oranges.

So sorry @Sara61 that you are riding this crazy roller coaster! As you remember, it does get better, it just takes time. With my first TKR, I got to 120 degrees pretty quickly, in the second month, if I recall. I'm not even sure if this one is there yet but I'm sure it's close. Take care!
 
Morning Bonies,
After a relatively good night, still waking at 4am, with the usual trying to find a comfortable position to lie in, my leg still prefers to be stretched out which is fine but then jolly difficult to bend in the morning.
It bends fine when sitting, but finding it hard to do heel slides as it feels really tight, hubby thinks I'm overthinking it too much, possibly he's right.
Off to my 1st assessment of PT at 2pm today, it will be a nice change of scenery just to get out of the house.
Have a good day to all :roseshwr:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom