Guest viewing is limited

TKR 2nd knee, 2nd recovery

@Jaycey Just got home after a long day sitting in the emergencies of the hospital I was there for over 5 hours, I've had a scan, X, rays blood tests, etc, etc, they were extremely thorough. Fortunately I only have trauma to the knee, could have been caused in bed, or descending the stairs this has resulted in extra swelling which in turn has given me more pain and reduced mobility.:unsure:
Remedy, extra bed rest, lots of ice and new set of stronger medication plus anti inflammatory pills, at least it is a relief knowing there is no damage other than a bakers cist at the back and now all I need to do is rest, & gently exercise, my ROM currently bends at 85 degrees but with time I should be able to achieve the full range.
 
Last edited:
OMG - I was worried about infection when you said your knee hurt when touched. And your photo yesterday looked very angry. I am so sorry you have this but at least you now know what you are dealing with. Are they keeping you there for treatment?
 
Oh I’m so relieved to hear this! I was worried something had gone wrong ”with your hardware” or as Jaycey said- an infection! I’ve been thinking about you & I was chomping at the bit to hear what was discovered. You have got to take it easy and rest up! You can’t be trying to do stuff yourself- you have got to get that family to take good care of you! Mali says: sit, stay! :dogsniff:
 
@Sara61 - I'm so glad they found no structural damage. I hope the rest helps. You're already improved at 85 degrees. I'm also glad your husband has improved his attitude and support. Now put your daughter on the phone ... I'll wait.:wink:

Does the Baker's Cyst account for the pop you experienced or were they able to work that out to get better flexion?
 
@Sara61 Thank goodness it was no worse than it was! It was the pain of a Bakers Cyst that originally sent me to Dr on my “new” knee. I just remember I couldn’t straighten my leg at all, I was limping badly and the pain was severe in the back of my knee/leg. I had thought that was all that was wrong and when they did the MRI of course it was also bone on bone and the rest is history, LOL!

will be hard for you to rest but I will be praying that you can get rest and your family will be understanding of this set back. Try to get some rest, I am sure you are physically and mentally exhausted from this morning and all the pain!
 
@Jaycey No they have sent me home with a bag load of pills, but have told me to monitor the knee over the next few weeks.
@hawk2go Yes, the cyst could cause the clicking, time will tell if this is the case.
Leg is still incredibly sore, possibly as I've been standing/sitting all day, tonight we have the house full, fortunately I get to sit & watch whilst dinner is prepared.
 
Don't know why I thought I read you had an infection. Phew! Didn't you say you tripped or stumbled earlier? I guess any funny twist might have set this off. Glad you are on new medication. Rest up - you must be exhausted!
 
I’m so glad there’s nothing wrong with the hardware and it’s something time and healing will take care of, though of course I’m sorry it’s so painful. :console2: I‘m glad you have more and better pain medicine.

Don’t look at resting as doing nothing, look at it as giving your knee the best circumstance in which to heal. :elevate:
 
@Sara61 Sara, it is possible that you’ve had the Bakers Cyst for a while and then the accident you had on the stairs could have just aggravated your knee even further.
When it rains it pours! Hoping this resolves soon for you and your recovery can move forward!
 
I think @Sks1997 has a good point about maybe having that bakers cyst for a while. It would be why you’ve had such a high pain level for a while. It’s my understanding that a bakers cyst often develops behind the knee, is that correct? Is that where a lot of your pain has been? Other members have had this, when you feel up to it you could do a search here, if you want.

Here’s an article from the Bonesmart Library:
 
@Sara61 .... I am so glad to see you home! My husband & I were both worried you had an infection....no fun, and you have already been through enough. Now you have some answers, and a course of action to help it heal, and get you back on course. Sounds like there are enough people there to make sure you take it easy. You Rest, & let them do the cooking, etc for now. I do hope you see improvement soon, but just continue to focus on You getting better! I’m sure everyone here agrees. And remember that Bonesmart mantra, that @hawk2go gave me early on... “slow and steady, slow and steady”. And my big sister’s advice from her old family Dr : if you make just a LITTLE improvement every day, that’s progress. And that’s often the case, but, they mount up. Hoping you, and your family, will be patient & understanding with whatever progress you make ( or even, on a given day, don’t make). Do take care... keeping you in my prayers.
 
@Sara61, so glad you’ve gotten some answers and especially glad that there is no serious issue. Trauma is not good but at least that should heal without further surgical intervention. Your job now is to rest, ice, medicate and elevate … let the pampering begin! Hopefully you can relax a bit now that you have a diagnosis. Get comfortable, enjoy the beautiful scenery and let your family take care of you. Happy healing!
 
Well, if you have to be down resting, you certainly have beautiful scenery to look at while you're there. I'm glad it doesn't seem to be anything serious, although I'm sad for you going through the pain. Feel better!
 
So glad it isn't anything serious (something wrong with the implant). Even though it took so long waiting, it was worth it to find that out. Take care, ice, rest, you know the drill...... You've got plenty of time to work your way through that huge list of tv shows/movies now..... :wink:
 
Thank God your hardware is fine and you have no infection. Those soft tissues can sure make a person miserable. I hope your new meds give you lots of relief.
 
Just catching up on your thread, Sara. Wow…you’ve been through a lot over the past week. I’m sorry for the pain you’ve been dealing with. Thankfully you have meds, ice, and a professional diagnosis so that your family understands your pain. I hope you’re able to rest comfortably. Feel better soon!
Hugs :console2:
@Sara61
 
@Jaycey you did actually read something about an infection, I edited the post after, whilst in hospital I saw the doctors notes and he had requested more blood tests as he feared an infection, however later this was ruled out because the blood tests came back clear.

Although they found nothing in the Xrays or scans regarding the hardware my knee will only bend after it passes a click and I have to use both hands lifting the knee up to gently get past this click, this morning the knee buckled once again on the stairs, not sure why but it scared the living day lights out of me, :flabber:the anti inflammatory has taken the pain away so I'm able to move better but knee still not bending easily, & extremely stiff but that could be the swelling, hopefully with time this will clear as it gets stronger, although I still have a wee niggling suspicion that something is amiss, I will just keep an eye on it and if needed demand more tests in a month or two. I'm being a good girl and resting and icing..:ice:
It is sure a huge difference to my previous replacement, but as we all know no two knees are alike.

Thank you all for your positive messages :loveshwr:
 
you did actually read something about an infection
Wow - I thought I had really lost it seeing things that aren't there! :scratch: Thanks for clarifying.

Sounds like you just need to get that internal swelling under control. The anti inflammatory meds should help with this. The stiffness is inflammation. I know it is all very worrying. But a bit of rest and relaxation should help all this ease. Better days are coming!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom