Guest viewing is limited

THR 2Kittens' Recovery Thread

@2Kittens....please try to stay away from reading a lot of information like this article from the internet you posted a link to. You are not this woman. Your recovery is unique to you. You should not compare yourself to anyone. You'll be a lot happier with your recovery if you take things slow and listen to your body. You are less than 2 weeks out of surgery. It will be several months before you start to feel somewhat normal again. If you perform some exercise or activity around the house and you hurt afterwards (up to 24 hours afterwards), that's your body saying it's not ready for that level of activity. If you continue, the pain will just increase.

You need to keep your pain under control. Be sure you are taking your pain medications on a set schedule so that you always have something in your system to help with pain. If they are not working for you, contact your surgeon and let him know immediately. There are many options. If the prescription pain medications make you feel "strange," I'm assuming that means they make you feel drowsy or tired. That's okay....you need to be doing a lot of resting and napping. You should only be up and around for 5-10 minutes every hour or two. The rest of the time should be spent with your leg elevated as Celle showed you in an earlier post. You should ice the painful areas of your hip and leg any time you are lying down. Once you have your pain under control for a week or so, then you can start to increase your walking - but slowly! If things start to hurt, it means you're pushing too hard and you'll need to take some steps backward for a few days until things settle again

I must also caution you against self medicating like you are doing with the muscle relaxers. Medications can have interactions and you should never do this without your doctor's approval. It's better to call his office, explain the problem, and get his recommendation.

Try to calm down and not stress out about where you are in recovery. Since your surgeon told you that your muscles were extremely tight prior to surgery, you can assume that your recovery will take longer than the "average." Your body is in control of this recovery and your job is to do the things necessary to help it heal properly. Sometimes the things to "do" involve a good amount of rest, ice, and elevation....not exercise or activity around the house.
 
He said don’t go to outpatient PT because they’ll be aggressive because there are a lot of them are young and don’t understand what it’s like
Excellent advice from your hospital PT. The gentle exercises he gave you are fine to keep doing.
 
Thank you , Jamie, I tend to second guess myself on everything.
Those muscle relaxers were prescribed to me so I am not mixing meds. And what I mean by strange is aggravating my bipolar symptoms which if you’re not bipolar it is very hard to understand and comprehend. So this has been very very difficult for me it’s like upsetting my chemical balance but I will get through this. I do just as you say get around a little bit every hour and then I am elevating and icing the rest. I do think it was time for the cane as I do very well on it.
 
Well I am back from my almost 2 weeks postop appointment the surgeon wasn’t there but the nurse I have not seen my scar as the bandages taken off but there is a small bandage that’s supposed to come off naturally she said don’t rip it off but there’s no real bruising or anything and I do feel so much better and so much more confident that I did even a few days ago. Right now I just have to focus on being careful when I walk with my cane in fact being careful for the next month (barring any setbacks) as I imagine one can easily forget, that’s probably going to be the hardest part. And any words of wisdom I can glean (other than, yes, don’t overdo).
 
He said don’t go to outpatient PT because they’ll be aggressive because there are a lot of them are young and don’t understand what it’s like
My OS told me that. I did not go to any PT, I did do the very simple movements they showed me pre-op. I stuck with my restrictions until 6 weeks. Both of my hips were different recoveries so one size does not fit all. I was never a gym person but I was always a physical work person. It took time but I can do the physical work despite not doing any structured PT. One thing about this forum is we have all had THR's.
 
@Eman85 yes that’s all my PT is asking me to do is try the basic exercises I was sent home with, I don’t see any problems with those at all as long as my leg’s ok with it, they send those home with you for a reason
 
I have another question, for those who have had right leg THR how long did it take for you to start driving?
 
I started driving at about 3 weeks. At that point I was off narcotics and I had the doctors approval to drive. Doctors approval can be a big deal because of insurance and liability. If your doctor hasn't cleared you your insurance might not cover you in an accident.
 
With my right it was about 3 weeks but it wasn't pleasant for more than 15 mins or so. Just the way I sat in the car and the leg movement it wasn't comfortable.
 
With my right it was about 3 weeks but it wasn't pleasant for more than 15 mins or so. Just the way I sat in the car and the leg movement it wasn't comfortable.
I bet! Thankfully I’m about 8 min from town and only need to putter around there. I can walk unaided now and pain is under control but I would not trust my leg out and about without a cane, the leg seems to tire easy, it’s been 2 weeks today. Had my first shower yesterday (I have a tub shower unfortunately)
 
I would not trust my leg out and about without a cane

The good thing about the cane is it also signals people to give you some space, even if they aren’t conscientious about the current social distancing. The last thing you want is someone bumping into you, jarring your hip. Congrats on two weeks!
Enjoy the evening. :)
 
@Eman85 yes that’s all my PT is asking me to do is try the basic exercises I was sent home with, I don’t see any problems with those at all as long as my leg’s ok with it, they send those home with you for a reason
I did movements, not exercises. I did ankle pumps, but clenches and moved my leg out to the side like 1/2 of a snow angel while lying in bed. I did some heel slides as a stretch and made it easier to pull my socks up lying on my back. I was more concerned with blood flow, not any muscle building.
 
@Eman85 yes that’s all my PT is asking me to do is try the basic exercises I was sent home with, I don’t see any problems with those at all as long as my leg’s ok with it, they send those home with you for a reason
I did movements, not exercises. I did ankle pumps, but clenches and moved my leg out to the side like 1/2 of a snow angel while lying in bed. I did some heel slides as a stretch and made it easier to pull my socks up lying on my back. I was more concerned with blood flow, not any muscle building.
Yea that’s pretty much it
 
like 1/2 of a snow angel while lying in bed.
:heehee:
Make sure you’re doing your daily 1/2 snow angels, 2Kittens, after all, tis the season :wink:
Eman’s description made me chuckle.
 
Another question
I notice my operative leg Iooks very slightly darker/rosier maybe (I’m fair) anyone else notice this?
Also what’s the general time for most swelling to abate? I realize it can swell at anytime but a lot of my pain is gone (17 days out) but definitely stiff which I attribute to swelling although I never saw a lot of it.
Hope everyone is starting to relax and enjoy the holidays, I absolutely will not put up a tree with 6 month old kittens ‍⬛
 
Well rats the emojis didn’t show up
 
No. emojis don't work on BoneSmart, but you can use the smilies we have. Just click on the smiley face in the toolbar at the top of the box where you write your messages.
 
2Kittens, so glad to see a lot of your pain is gone and you really seem to be on the road to recovery! I'm a redhead with fair skin myself and I most definitely saw that rosy glow in both my hip surgical leg and my knee surgical leg with my replacements. I first attributed some of it to whatever solution they used to cleanse it while in the OR but thinking now that "glow" might be indication healing is at work now too. It did fade away gradually with my knee though.

I'm not sure but that image of 2 kittens with a Christmas tree might provide hours of entertainment for you while you're recovering. :heehee:
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom