Guest viewing is limited

THR 2Kittens' Recovery Thread

Thanks. This is what I found about using a static bike to gain ROM for my knees; my *guess* is the same principles would apply to hips, although I can't say so definitively. For knees one needs progressively to lower the saddle to get bend; for you I think this would not be the case. The key is that it's like a stretching exercise, not a training exercise. This means 'short and sweet'.
  • Set the bike to zero resistance
  • Set the saddle low enough so that a single rotation is a challenge; difficult but not painful. When a rotation becomes easy right from the start, lower the saddle a max of 1cm.
  • Gently turn the pedals, through discomfort but without pain.
  • Continue until the knee is 'warmed up' and the rotation is now easy, or for 2 minutes, whichever is the shorter time.
  • Repeat several/many times a day, but don't go mad. Diminishing returns will apply; my guess is that half a dozen reps would be enough
  • Do not pedal fast or for more than 2 minutes, this is a stretching exercise, not training.
  • And if you get any pain or swelling in the 24 hours after doing this, cut it down until you don't
Here is a bit more chat and some pix and how 'healing' and 'training' are different
 
Hi all so I seem to be able to do recumbent bike with no issues and being 10 weeks out I am wanting to incorporate some PT, OS said no restrictions even though I still want to be careful. Am wondering about clams and laying on my good side, anyone do these with no problems? I know I supposedly have no restrictions but worry about the leg crossing midline
 
As far as leg crossing and restrictions that's a question for your OS. As far as clams each of my hips was and is different. If it hurts, don't do it, if it hurts afterwards do less next time. Doing clams if we're thinking of the same thing my legs don't cross. The restrictions and crossing legs is all about the possibility of dislocating and allowing the muscles to recover without stress so they tighten up so you don't dislocate. I felt the longer I didn't tax them the better chance I wouldn't dislocate. In time it all works out and I can and have done any and everything. From what I've heard firsthand and on this board is that dislocation is not any fun. It goes back to the patience and in time it will all be good.
 
Am wondering about clams and laying on my good side, anyone do these with no problems?

Hello @2Kittens
Clamshells aren’t recommended in early recovery, which is where you are currently at only two and a half months post op. Clamshells are good for building core stability and strengthening the lower back, but they can do more harm than good while in early recovery. Good you’re being cautious. Better safe than sorry.
Enjoy the week!
 
Thank you for responding Layla, I understand clams are good for the core etc. but they also exercise the gluteus medias and I also understand that although hips do not need any physical therapy the rest of my body does and I’m not going to be able to to do any substantial walking for my hips if I don’t get some strengthening down the chain especially for my arthritic feet which pronate. I used to walk a lot and still was excessively weak. I guess I want to know where it says that clams would do me harm at 2 1/2 months post op and when they would be indicated possibly? I guess I’m at the point where I don’t want to take people’s word for it but want sound evidence. I do not mean to be combative at all.
 
Hello @2Kittens Happy Wednesday to you!
I understand your desire to get back to some strengthening, especially given you were feeling excessively weak pre-op. Please rest assured that I don’t view you as combative in the least and understand your request for more concrete evidence, for or against a particular exercise / activity.

I will leave two articles. One that mentions the time frame of early recovery, approximately 12 weeks, and the second which list clamshells as an exercise that is hard on the IT band.
I will also bring this up behind the scenes in an effort to get you a more detailed response or advice. I hope you have a great rest of the week! :)

 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re doing well, feeling stronger month by month and enjoying your progress.
Happy March...hope it’s a great one for you! :flwrysmile:
@2Kittens
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ava
Thank you Layla! My op legs doing very well, it’s my other leg that’s flared especially the arthritis in that foot! So I’m not doing walking for exercise which just sucks but I’m doing recumbent bike and just started the PT exercise from the OneStep program as I have significant weakness and I did tell my PT to go slow so we’ll see. I also don’t walk with a limp at all except a little ouch from my arthritic foot boo boo!!!
 
You’re welcome!
All good news, aside from your non-op leg and foot. I’m sorry you have to deal with that now that you have your new hip. I wish you comfort and relief. Let us know how the PT is going after a few sessions. I hope you find it beneficial. :fingersx:
A great rest of the week to you.:wave:
@2Kittens
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary! I hope your foot is bothering you less these days. :fingersx:
Wishing you a lovely Easter weekend. :flwrysmile:
@2Kittens
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ava
Thank you Layla. Nope it’s acting up again today was the worst and I am asking for a referral from my doctor for a second opinion from another podiatrist not the one I’m using right now is doing a bad job but I have to figure this out. The next step was to go into a boot which of course neither one of us wants to do and she said that she would give me a lift. My hip went to hell before my operation when I was putting a boot when this foot broke and the person did not give me a lift so My hip took a real beating and accelerated the degenerative process. I guess if I have to go in one I will but boy is this frustrating and really frustrating not to be able to walk for exercise although I am doing my exercise bike for exercise and doing some PT. I am definitely not going to have surgery on this foot!! sorry to lament
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom