Guest viewing is limited

THR 26 days and I need a hug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hippo......Did you notice that I've managed to keep my appearance a secret by posting a picture of myself in a clever disguise?

No flies on me Sunshine.

Xxxxxxx

P.s My li'l pooch survived his ordeal at the vets.
 
morning everyone! It is still cold in Ireland and apparently we are in for torrential rain and high winds. When oh when will Spring really come????
Firstly acbelmar that is hilarious about your little secrets coming out during the op!!! Oh my God I am sooo glad I was out for the count. Can imagine all the drivel i would have come up with - I am bad enough on a normal non-drugged day!!! Only funny thing that happened to me when i was getting the anaesthetic (spinal) which seemed to take forever. They were checking i couldn't feel anything and I got a bit concerned and said "Sorry but I can actually feel my hip" to which they quickly and gleefully retorted that the op was over!!!! That's my kind of operation - i am such a wuss.
Well i had a great day yesterday and of course overdid it a little. I knew last night going to bed as my knee felt stiff but am not going to panic, just rest and ice more today.
Oh, I have a very important question: all this joking about hairy legs is all good and well but seriously, at what stage am I likely (i know every one is different) to be told it's safe to lean down carefully. Could i get that news at 6 weeks??? I hate not being able to do up my own laces either. To support my knee i've had to stick to tie ups shoes (i try for things like funky Skechers if I can) or high boots with lots of support so I don't have any shoes that just slip on. Now I either wear my slippers when I'm inside or my husband has to bend down and he is nearly as bad as our son at tying laces, bless!
Queenie. It is today isn't it? You planning anything special? My wine was a bit of a washout last night - I barely finished my glass as I was just falling asleep. Am such a cheap date! Looking forward to when I can relax again and not have to think about going up the stairs, not falling over, lying any way i want in bed...
 
I am wondering if I will be asked to leave the forum, or at least be branded persona non grata and given a very wide berth, when I admit that I do not shave my legs. There, now I've said it.

In my defence I can only say that despite my hair being naturally quite dark (that is, before it became No. 3.66 Dark Red Ultra Violet) the hairs on my legs are pale, drippy little things, and few and far between.

I thought I had had a pretty raw deal, with the accident, the infection, and the two subsequent surgeries, but I now realise that Mother Nature has at least dealt me that one good card, and it is with palpable relief that I realise I do not have to become intimately acquainted with a Swiffer Sweeper, which sounds a rather scary and menacing device.

In common with others on the forum, my skin post surgery is incredibly dry, especially on my feet and lower legs. This is despite drinking enough water each week to float, if not a battleship, then at least a reasonaby nifty corvette. The fact that so many people mention this seems to suggest that there is some specific reason, albeit arcane and unfathomable. I wondered if it might be the iodine? But presumably they don't use so much lower down the legs, so that's probably not the answer.

The only thing I have found which keeps the paperweight snowstorm at bay for even a few hours, is something called "Shea Butter and Coconut", which was a serendipitous find in a bag of toiletries bought for me by a friend at Tesco, (Beauty Salon to the Stars).

I don't know if I spoke during my second operation, but I certainly had a bout of Amateur Traumatics in the Recovery Room. All I can remember is a voice saying: "Stop making that noise. PLEASE stop making the noise!"
I didn't dare ask what exactly the noise comprised, but a lady on my ward later thanked me for providing an entertaining diversion during her otherwise rather boring stay in Recovery. (Pleased to oblige...)

Happy daze!

Glynis
 
Hi Glynis, yes I think you should leave this forum immediately!! Do not pass go, do not collect €200 (or whateverit is nowadays!)......You don't obsess about how you can't shave your legs??? what kind of hippie are you??? Just kidding, am only jealous you are so chilled about it. Might try that shea butter. It is like a snowstorm in our bedroom too... ah well we will look back and laugh, hopefully. Do you think they might have a recording somewhere of the noises you were making??? It could be used by hospitals in their material on What Might Happen After Surgery. I really think the drugs they give us affect us all differently. Until i came off the more serious drugs my poor husband was regularly woken by my night terrors. On one occasion I was trying to get out of bed and called him "Daddy"! we had a good laugh and decided not to over analyse it.... think he was relieved when i suggested we sleep in separate bedrooms for the time being so he's not woken 4 times a night by my constant moving round, reading, doing suduko etc...
 
Queenie Happy birthday and lots of hugs! Your thread is always good for a giggle. If someone says on this side of the pond "he was walking down the road in his pants and vest" we would laugh, leaving our American friends thinking we were mad! In the USA, a snazzy outfit (what we call trousers and waistcoat) - here, his underwear! Divided by a common language indeed. Was that Winston Churchill ( American mother) said that?
And as for hairy legs, I have not needed to do mine since November (pre-op) which Josephine says is fairly common after major surgery, no-one knows why. I'm sure mine will get as hairy as ever when the weather warms up enough for shorts to come out of winter storage!
Going back to what you say in the Recovery Room - when my Dad had a major op, the nurses got my brother in private afterwards to say they were worried because Dad had kept saying "Molly, Molly, who's looking after Molly" and they knew Mum was Kathleen! Much to their relief, Ed burst out laughing, telling them that Dad was a milk roundsman in the 1930s and 40s (with a break in the Army) and Molly was his horse! We used to visit her at "The Home of Rest for Horses" in the countryside after she retired in about 1954 , she lived until she was 32 years old and never stopped being jealous of Mum who she tried to bite every time.
Love and best wishes to all
Anne
 
Oh ladies I do love a funny story and you lot are full of 'em!

I remember after my first op that I was gently woken up by the nurse and I loudly blurted out 'I know you don't I?' To which she replied 'Please be quiet Mrs Bassett there are other patients here in the recovery room, not just you'. Ooooooooeerrrrrrrrr Mrs! That told me!
I can't help it if I think I know everyone. It's true to say that 'I know you don't I?' Is something I say rather a lot. :whistle:

lizzie66 - If you had the posterior approach that most of us this side of the pond have then I'm pretty sure you'll have most restrictions lifted at 6wks. I'm showing off now but I've been shaving my legs since the 5wk mark. Did I mention that my knuckles scrape along the floor when I'm walking?. X

glynis - How the devil are you me old BS Mucker? Are you pretty much fixed and back to normal or does the odd spasm/ache/moment of fatigue come and bite you on the bum when you least expect it? I would be very interested in the answer. Sorry but I can't remember how many weeks post op you are. It's good to hear from you. X

Now wait for it.......wait for it.........

:flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :martini: :martini: :martini: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :martini: :martini: :martini:

Yes it is my birthday today!

We traded my old bike(couldn't get my leg over the crossbar!) for a great 2nd hand ladies bike. I was very naughty and rode it up and down the yard at the back of the shop. I was so anxious because I'm not really supposed to get on a bike for a few weeks. I kept shouting at my husband 'Run next to me......run next to me!!'......We must of looked a right pair of charlies. Anyway that's what I got for my birthday. Can't wait to get out on it.
I'm so surprised at the weather today. lizzie66 we've got the weather that's coming your way. Very wet, very windy and very cold!!!Brrrrrrr. That'll teach me for saying...'I've had the most gorgeous weather on my birthday for the past 6yrs' !!

We were going out tonight for a meal but my Eldest daughter has been off school for a few days so now we're staying in with some lamb shanks, dauphinoise potatoes and minted veg..........Gert lush! All courtesy of Tesco(Restaurant to the stars Glynis)..........Well......It IS my birthday.

Sending you all a lovely big hug.

Lotsa love

Queenie xxxx
 
Clever you, Queenie, hiding your identity behind a moustache! I live in an area of the world where cross-dressing is widely accepted, so I did not even notice. :heehee:
glynis, your post was very amusing. You're ousted from the Hairy Legs Club but welcome on this highly entertaining thread. Just an FYI, the connection between dry skin and dehydration is neither arcane nor unfathomable, according to the Mayo Clinic whose current website states that dry skin is, in fact, a common symptom of dehydration. That said, some sources distinguish between "dry skin" as a genetic condition in which one's skin doesn't produce enough oils, and "dehydrated skin," which is caused by external factors including: not drinking enough water, drinking too much alcohol or caffeine, having long, hot showers and baths and taking certain medications. I suspect that most of the people who post here, noting increased skin dryness post-op, can attribute it to external, rather than genetic factors. The simple, effective, albeit gross way to tell if you're dehydrated (according to Mayo) is to examine your urine. If it's clear and light, chances are you are not dehydrated. If it's dark yellow or amber, you may need more water.

Cheers to all!

HHH

p.s. Here's the litmus test for whether your leg hair is too long.
 
love all your smilies and what a lot of alcohol is being consumed Queenie. Congrats on your new bike!! it is good to have something to look forward to. Your celebration tonight with your family sounds just perfect. Enjoy!!!
 
Yes.......I shall be having a slurp for each and everyone of you lovely folks. X
 
Thanks for the tip, Lizzie. If I find out that the hospital are indeed using my thespian skills in a training video I will be looking to negotiate a royalty. Plus a little extra for writing my own script.

Queenie, I had my second op on Nov 28 last year, and at my check up on Jan 8 (my birthday) I was given the all-clear for one year. I do still get a bit achy at times, but nothing to write home about. My main problem is trying to work up any head of steam when walking. When I was allowed to ditch the stick I found that I had somehow forgotten how to use my arms in a natural walking movement. My physio Victoria gave me some exercises, resulting in me strutting about like a demented penguin, ineffectually flapping my wings, and trying to look inconspicuous.

Last week she was pleased with my progress, and I am now on the Advanced Penguin Power Walk programme. Hot to waddle!

I'm sorry to disillusion you, Queenie, but I think you'll find when you get to 63 (like wot I am), it is very rare that anything, or anyone, bites you on the bum. Chance'd be a fine thing. Thanks for asking, anyway.

No disrespect to the Mayo Clinic, HHH, but I have exactly the same diet now as I did before the op, and my urine is as pure as a mountain spring. As for a long, hot bath... well, don't torment me with that thought. Getting IN's OK, but OUT is still something of a challenge.

I didn't have this dry skin before the op. I do now. That, in my book, is unfathomable.

Keep on keepin' on, ladies. Have fun.
 
BarbaraR - that's absolutely brilliant!!!! Even made my husband laugh.

Oh we are all having a good old giggle today..........Love it

Queenie xxxxxxx
 
Boy - I am missing the party here! You guys are having far too much fun on this thread. Some serious partying going on. Great! :rotfl:
 
O.My.Gosh. :rotfl: I clicked on this thread randomly, and I see that this is Comedy Central!!!! Ladies, may I join you please? I'm still 2 months pre-surgery, but I love me a good laugh, and I've had plenty on this one page alone!
glynis -- I'm 61, and I get bitten on the bum/butt by (the squeamish may stop HERE///////////////////) spiders in my undies in the spring!:yikes:
Thanks for brightening my day-- I will giggle as I attack the floor with a Swiffer Sweeper(really, that's what they're for!!!:angel: ) and a wet mop. :)
 
@Nannyannie- 'Have to be carried to bed tonight'?........My husband said he hasn't got a fork lift in his pocket.(cheeky darn!).

zauberflöte - Of course you can join the party. The more the merrier. Laughter is the best medicine and for some reason we're on a roll here. Welcome welcome welcome. X

Queenie xxxxxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom