THR 26 days and I need a hug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't be too hard on yourself Queenie - what we've been through is pretty major stuff, the consequences of which will be with us for a while yet. As a certain politician said: we're all in it together. I think that our families need timely reminders that just because we may have a good day, that doesn't mean we are back to business as usual quite yet.

I've printed out a recipe for egg-free tiramisu that I've passed on to the kids in preparation for mothers day on Sunday...
 
Hippy12, lucky you! They outlawed all plastic shopping bags in San Francisco, so they're like gold to us when we run across them. We hoard them. My dog is big, and so is his poop ick factor, so we use the paper towel inside a plastic bag method. What I can't stand is when a gust of wind blows the bag aside just when you're reaching for the pile. :shocked:

Thinking of you, Queenie, and hoping today is better for you!

HHH
OMG.. I use those bags all the time for cat scooping too. In this neighborhood everyone with a dog and/or cats uses them. I even use 1 to carry my mail from the mailbox! Someplace I saw they outlawed plastic water bottles. Yike!
 
Hi all

Well who's been a naughty girl then?...............ME!!!

It was hubby's birthday yesterday so we took a little trip up to our lovely local pub as there was a fantastic Blues band playing there last night.
They'd reserved me a seat which I was very grateful for as it was really busy. I was so anxious before we left because it was the first big social outing I've had in 2mths and I was a little concerned as to how my mind and my new hip would cope. I think I'd become a bit agoraphobic.
Well I needn't of worried, everyone was so sweet and kind. I felt completely at home. Then the band struck up and within half an hour of supping my first pint I was up out of my chair dancing(well...more kind of jiggy swaying) with a tambourine clasped firmly in my hands(just in case anyone tried to prise it from me). What a fabulous night! My husband said it was the best birthday that he can remember.

I only had a few pints but my head hurts today. Me and alcohol are not a particularly good mix........But it was worth it! I also managed about 5hrs kip which is pretty good for me these days.

Signing off as I can feel a little nap coming on.

Would like to wish all you lovely Mums a happy Mothers Day for tomorrow. I shan't be posting anything tomorrow as I have The Oulaws and My parents coming here for Sunday lunch.......Aren't I good?!!

Lotsa Lurve

Queenie xxx
 
Queenie, I have been sitting here for quite some time with my coffee that has gone cold a few times, reading up on your posts. The ups and downs of recovery. I do think in time, no matter who you are, our loved ones begin to forget what we are going through and we deserve the pitty party. And sometimes those blue times come out of no where. I can feel fine, call my daughter and out of no where feel like bursting into tears. I think it's great you got out and celebrated your husbands birthday and had a good time. You needed that even though you may pay for it the next day. It's one more step to recovery. When I get to where you are in my recovery, I think I will need a night out as well.....:beer:
 
Queenie,

I'm so glad to hear you got out of your little "prison" and went and had a good time for your husband's B'day. It's uphill from here, as long as you take it easy and don't dance the entire night away for a few more weeks!

I know you've struggled with "cabin fever" from being housebound so long with your hip, so it makes this hippy even happier that your first trip went well.

Make sure you get out now at least 2-3 times a week. I'm sure you'll feel better.

Cheers :cheers:

HH
 
Thanks Gals

sandybeach I have caught up with your thread too. You seem to be coping with your recovery exceptionally well...... Long may it continue! I think my recovery has been very up and down as I had to wait 8wks to see my OS and 10wks for physio. I've sometimes worried about things unnecessarily because I've had to wait such a long time for reassurance from medical professionals. Thank goodness for this wonderful forum!

HappyHippy thanks for your encouragement. I've been popping out to the supermarket and have walked the dog everyday for the past couple of weeks so I haven't been totally holed up. I was worried how I'd cope with a big social event but as you can see I needn't of worried at all. Although I'm only just feeling back to normal so I won't be rushing out too soon for a repeat performance! I'm looking forward to seeing a physio next week as I'm feeling very sore and stiff. I'm sure it's a muscle issue so I'm not too worried. Just a bit frustrating.
Hope your recovery is moving forward nicely. :ok:

Onwards and upwards

Queenie xxx
 
Woohoo well done you Queenie, getting down on the dance floor. It's brilliant to hear you had such a fab time. Isn't it wonderful to be able to have a little dance again. No wonder your muscles are acting up after all that jiggling. Anything new after surgery seems to get them grumbling. I'm sure they will settle down again after a few days of taking it easy.

Happy Mothers day to you too. Hope you enjoy it and make sure you do absolutely nothing, it is your day after all :)

Take care

Ann
 
Queenie, your night out sounds "lurvely," you naughty girl! And so what if you downed a few pints, turned into a tambourine-wielding Spice Girl and woke up a little worse for the wear the next day? A little time off for good behavior is well-deserved.

I believe your muscle soreness is normal. Unless it's really painful or feels like something's wrong, I like to think of it as a good kind of soreness, like the kind you have after you work out. When I look at the x-ray of how far they drove the spike down into my femur, I'm actually amazed at not being more sore.

Tip Du Jour: Do you have "Swiffer" sweepers in England? If so, I discovered yesterday that one can disassemble the lower half of the device, leaving only the upper handle and then stick a Venus shaver into the handle. It fits perfectly and firmly, and extends the shaver handle a few feet. This means that I can finally shave my Yeti ankles! It's a big breakthrough, as National Geographic was beginning to follow me around whenever I went outside.

Happy Mothers' Day to you! I hope that you are treated like the royalty that you are, today.

XOXOXOXO

HHH
 
Hi there you lovely people

It's been a while so I thought I'd better fill you all in with what's been going on in my world.

I went to the physio on Tuesday. First visit in 10wks. Very nice girl. She looked about 14. Anyway I told her about my fears and worries re my sore and aching muscles and she didn't seem worried at all.
I basically have very weak muscles that have deteriorated over the past 5/6 yrs and therefore need to give myself at least 6mths of gentle rehab before I'll start feeling stronger. No bike and no elliptical trainer for 6wks. Just a few gentle exercises for my posterior which I can increase slowly over the next few weeks. I'm not sure if that's good advice or wether I should get a 2nd opinion. One never really knows does one?
So there you have it...........My rump is bootilicious, not because its tight and toned, but because its fat!
I'm struggling with walking as the pain from my muscles kicks in after half a mile even after necking some meds beforehand. I just have to face facts that its going to take a while to get back on track. Slowly slowly catchy primate and all that. I'm just finding it all a bit frustrating. I never realised the pain that muscles can produce would be so intense. It's almost as bad as the pre op bone pain. I guess for that reason it's understandable that I should feel sorry for myself.

I'm so envious when I read stories hiphiphorray of your escapades on and around the ice. You are a fit bird, as they say here in Devon. I bet you haven't got bingo wings or wobbly bits! Although I'm not over weight I really wish that I had made more efforts in the fitness dept because now I've got a long road ahead of me. My daughters will benefit from the lessons I've learnt as I'm determined to drum into them the numerous benefits of keeping fit and healthy.

On a lighter note its my birthday next week(1st day of Spring don't you know........yes......Spring is bursting out all over Devon as I type), where was I? Oh yes.......so I have some yummy girlfriends coming over to celebrate tonight seeing as hubby is away watching the rugby in Cardiff...........The lucky blighter is being treated to some corporate at The Millennium Stadium with plenty of after match shenanigans thrown in for good measure.........Watch out Wales it's going to be messy! I digress again. Yes, lovely friends here for nibbles and celebratory drinks. Unlike my husbands weekend, it won't be getting messy.

I also have to help pack my youngest daughters bag for a school trip to France next week. If I don't offer some guidance then the dear girl will turn up with the most inappropriate clothing and it wouldn't be fair to let her walk down the streets of Normandy looking like a reject from a Vivienne Westwood cat walk show. I'm sure some of you mums out there know exactly where I'm coming from on that one!

Life has pretty much returned to normal for me. Driving kids to school, walking dog, grocery shopping, errands for husband(I am a 1950's styles housewife after all), housework etc. I even did some gardening last week. I weeded one of our raised vegetable patches but then had to take to the sofa with some ice(and some ginger biscuits) for a few hours. Slowly slowly..........


On a final note although I absolutely adore Wales and the Welsh I'd just like to say................COME ON ENGLAND!!!!!!!!

Keep on keepin' on Warriors.

Lotsa Lurve.

Queenie xxx
 
Good to hear from you Queenie. It sounds like your stage of healing is starting to move on to getting your life back, rather than just concentrating on the hip. But as you are ahead of me, it's always interesting to hear about other people's experiences and what to expect at different stages. I'm probably still at the 90% thinking about my hip stage.

Happy birthday for late this week, mine is a week after you - does that make you an Aries as well? My husband is Kurdish and 21 March (spring solstice) is their new year. They celebrate it by making bonfires and jumping over them (very pagan) as fire is thought to have cleansing properties.

On a final note although I absolutely adore Wales and the Welsh I'd just like to say................COME ON ENGLAND!!!!!!!!
Gone right off you now however. Did I ever mention that I am Welsh!!?

COME ON WALES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1:dancy:
 
Ha ha ha!

I LOVE the Welsh even though they hate us! Spent many a lovely holiday in Wales.

I'm 8th Welsh(got family in Swansea)......... Does that count?

Yes I am an Aries but I've got a lot of Pisces in me too. I'm 8th Welsh, 8th German and have a lot of real Romany Gypsy blood To boot. So I'm not sure if my intuitive side comes from the Pisces or the Gypsy, possibly a bit of both. It would be fair to say I'm a real Heinz 57.........And that's the way I like it!!

Hope your recovery is moving forward.

Queenie xxxx
 
[Bonesmart.org] 26 days and I need a hug.
[Bonesmart.org] 26 days and I need a hug.
I like this, Queenie!
 
Happy, happy birthday to you, dear Queenie! The world is a better place with you in it. In honour of the occasion, I'll be uncharacteristically short with words.

Cheers and much love!

HHH
 
Yes, Happy Birthday, Queenie.

But remember the old saying...

"You know you are getting old when the physios start looking young."

Think on, old timer!

Glynis
 
Hi Queenie!! I just caught up on your posts and its made me feel better...even though I hate to see anyone else have ups and downs, it makes me feel like I'm experiencing normal recovery obstacles and I'm definitely not aalone!! I love listening to you ladies from the other side of the pond..I'm a flight attendant and spent many nights flying into Gatwick and staying at the Copthorne...wonder if its still there? LOVED the scones with Clotted cream..not too kean on the bangors or beans at breakfast!!! I too am an Aries...my big birthday (UGH!) will be on March 30th. One of my favorite quips about age...
My man suggested we go upstairs and make love ....I replied "Pick one because I can't do both!!" I thought that was cute!!
Good luck on your continue journey to recovery!!! And shake that BOOTY!!!
 
Happy Birthday tomorrow or maybe it is already here on your side of the waters! I hope you have an awesome day and feel young! You are, you know, compared to me along with lots of other bone smarties! Have you done anymore dancing? Have your hubby take you back to the pub with jazz. I'm jealous you have something like that even close to you.
Are your muscles feeing any better? Have you gone back to the "child" physios? I am making progress I guess. Still so stiff when I stand up from sitting very long. I limp around for several steps till I get loosened up. I have seen comments on here that say there will be a day when you don't even think about your new hip. I'm hoping so. Have to confess I'm not doing much for exercise. Our streets are gravel in our little town and there is still enough mud and snow to navigate that walking outside doesn't appeal at this point but that is really just an excuse.
Anyway, may your birthday be FULL of HAPPY!
 
Hi all. Do you mind if I join in? I've just been reading down through the thread (Queenie, your "I need a hug" caught my attention) and it has been so great to see others going through similar ups and downs to me... My hubbie has been wonderful but I think no-one really has a clue what's going on unless they've been through it themselves. I've been trying mindfulness to help get me through the hard times but i reckon this forum will be more helpful. I'm a great believer in humour as a help and there are lots of laughs on here. (hiphiphooray, thank God I'm not the only one despairing at my hairy legs!!! in a way it's quite liberating but enough is enough....) One thing that's great here is there are so many on in my age group-ish. I am 46 and it so annoys me when people say "oh you are way too young to be getting a new hip!!" as if i was doing it out of choice!!!
My story (i'll keep it short, promise!) is I live in Ireland (but am half English and over there quite a bit) and had THP in right side 4 weeks ago. I seemed to be doing sooooo well after surgery, up quickly, off zimmerframe and on to crutches quickly and I was smugly thinking "oh this is cos I'm younger, and did all my pre-op physio like a good girl" (warning: i AM a good girl!!!). Got home, built up my walking to about 18 minutes and then disaster struck!!!! I've been plagued by problems with my right knee for about 5 years now (was hoping the hip op might sort it out too) and i obviously triggered a bad tendonitis which has not gone away and I am back to worse than zero in some ways. Can only walk about 5 mins a day and seem to spend all day resting, icing, trying to work my hip a bit, and like you all have the occasional pity party. I do the PT (10 reps, 3 times a day) and love it as it comes easy and I feel i am at least doing something. It's the walking I miss, the walking I want and need to do.
Am trying to see this as a journey, a challenge life has thrown me to try to teach me something (patience??? resilience???) but I do find it hard not to compare myself to other people. Not to be envious of those who can run up the road past my house with seemingly not a care in the world while I move round like a snail, still so dependent on others.
anyway am having a good day so far, helped enormously by the solidarity and humour and honesty here so MANY MANY THANKS for all I've been reading. And (a little sheepishy!) can I join your gang???
PS I'm not sleeping much either
PPS Anyone finding their skin very flaky, despite moisturiser? Never had this before....
 
Happy birthday for this week (remember - age is just a number!) That's especially for acbelmar and anyone else who needs it.
I'm half Welsh, half Irish and grew up in London. All Celt and very psychic (or psycho according to hubbie) so I can see (ha-ha) where you get that from when the Romany is added in. The only problem with the Rugby is when Wales play Ireland - I cheer for the winner, otherwise it's "Cymru am byth" all the way. My ex-rugby playing English husband is sulking this week!
Love and hugs all round
Anne
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom