THR 26 days and I need a hug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. Do you mind if I join in? I've just been reading down through the thread (Queenie, your "I need a hug" caught my attention) and it has been so great to see others going through similar ups and downs to me...
PPS Anyone finding their skin very flaky, despite moisturiser? Never had this before....
HI Lizzie!!
I was just having a bit of a pity party myself when I read your blog. You are so right when you say others can't really understand what we are going through. Right now I am feeling very alone...I have gone through this mostly on my own and there are times I just need a hug or some kind words. I was doing great for the first 4 weeks and then I began cramping and it set me back as your knee did to you. We have to remember that prior to surgery we had other things bothering us on our bodies..my back isn't great and in fact they couldn't give me an epidural because my arthritis is so bad in it. You said you had knee problems. That all figures into our recoveries and that's exactly why the Moditors (SP) on here constantly tell us not to compare ourselves to others. I keep telling myself this was a major operation and it takes muscles time to heal..nerves take a bit longer ..and every part of my hip and leg have their own schedule. I think maybe because you are so young its even more frustrating. But you will will heal and you will feel better and in a year you will probably forget all the setbacks you experienced. Everytime I get out of bed and feel like I'm 90 trying to walk..I remember that it will pass. Before the surgury the pain got worse and worse and never went away. You came to the right place in this forum...people are here to help and get you through this!! Keep smiling sweetie!!!
 
thanks for your welcome to the thread. I will try to keep smiling! Had a good cry yesterday morning and I felt so much better afterwards!!! and you are right it will all pass...off now to try to source some info on my knees.
 
Hi lizzie66

First let me welcome you to the BS family. Joining the forum and 'talking and listening' to other members was the best decision I ever made as far as my recovery was concerned. I don't know how I would've got through all the ups and downs without the friends I've made on this site. Of course you can join 'the' gang. I say 'the' because anyone can join any thread they like. I haven't checked but if you haven't done it already then you should start up your own thread so folks on here can track your progress. It's also interesting to look back for your own personal reasons.
I'm glad you've found this thread amusing and helpful(notice I put them in order of importance!). I found even through the difficult days a sense of humour was a must. If I couldn't muster up a smile on certain days then there was always someone who would chip in with a funny few lines(or more in some cases) and it was and still is such a tonic. I must admit I have a little chuckle when I read back over some of the content of my thread. I've managed to hook up with some very amusing ladies.
So bring it on lady lets have all of it the good, the bad, the funny, the sad and the down right ugly, because that is exactly what this forum is here for. Just get it off your chest.
For the record I'm now 10wks out and still suffer with a tremendous amount of stiffness, weakness and pain in my muscles. I'm not going to worry about it though. I've just got to take my time and go at the pace I was advised by the physio. I've been told I'm probably looking at 6mths until I feel a lot stronger but I'm prepared to be patient so watch this space. The sleeping thing gets better too by the way. Patience is the key Mrs...........P..A..T..I..E..N..C..E.....Easier said than done sometimes I know, but its true.
I'm thinking at around 4wks was when my first low point hit me. Frustration and sleep deprivation were the main culprits together with still having to rely on other people for help. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!! If you ever feel like this just have a damn good cry, write(ha ha, you know what I mean) to your new friends on BS and just accept your situation. Things will change. You really must look after yourself and if that means being the squeaky wheel then I say squeak as loud as you like! I was feeling low for quite a while then slowly things started to change and now I can't believe I'm 10wks out. I've come to realise that although I've got quite a high pain threshold I am a very slow healer. It's taken a while but I've finally stopped comparing myself to others. TAKE HEED.........DO NOT COMPARE YOURSELF TO OTHERS. Got that? : )
Yes, had very dry skin for about 6wks if that helps. Back to normal now(if not a little too wrinkly for my liking).
Can't help with the knee situation sorry. Someone will be able to help you though if you set up your own thread.
P.S I also get lots of people commenting on how young I am to have a THR and how awful.....Poor thing....etc etc. just do what I do and totally lap up all that sympathy......I Love it!
P.P.S I bet you're not THAT good!!
Well you know where we are now so don't be a stranger. X

acbelmar - You did make me chuckle. Men can always find time for a bit of slap and tickle no matter what! Age or injury just don't compute with them. fYI I checked out the Copthorne Gatwick and its still there. Looks a delightful place. No wonder you look back on it with fondness. X

My dear Liphip so nice to hear from you. I think the hardest thing for some folks to wrap their head around is time and some of us, although we'll get there eventually, are not going to get there at full brake neck speed. I never liked being the same as everyone else anyway, so I've finally wrapped my head around the fact that I'm definitely a tortoise......or maybe even a slug.
I'm walking around ok without my cane but feel the need to have it with me when I'm out on occasion as I'm still quite weak and the general public give me a bit more space, which in turn gives me a bit more confidence. Are you still enjoying your lovely long weekends?
Hope you are managing ok with recovery and work. I still get days when I feel totally exhausted and I think 'where did that come from?' I'm not back to work like you either so I hope you're coping ok.
Lovely to hear from you. X

@Nannyannie- My husband has been sulking too.....funny that!
He also calls me a phycho which I find hilarious or Mystic meg if he's in a kinder frame of mind. What would we do without our lovely men?..............Don't answer that. X

My Birthday isn't until Thursday.....21st March. Now then, I grew up thinking my birthday was always on the first day of Spring but I've been doing some research and I've discovered that The Vernal Equinox is on 20th March for the foreseeable future............Well that just isn't right!! It's on the 21st March and we'll have no arguments please....Thank you.

Signing off now as I need to pick up Archie(my gorgeous cocker spaniel) from the vet. He's having a little growth removed from his chops and I'm hoping its going to be nothing to worry about. He's such a wuss. This whole experience will leave him traumatised for months! Fingers crossed.

Keep on keepin' on my beautiful BoneSmart Warriors!

Lotsa lurve

Queenie xxx
 
P.s acbelmar...just read your last post.

It's still very early days for you guys and I have to say that although there are days when you feel old you most certainly DON'T look it!!! When the 30th March comes around I think you should celebrate how fabulous you look....Big birthday or not!!

Queenie xxxxx
 
Hi Queenie. Thanks for your lovely warm welcome! And you know so many here - it will take me time I'm sure. I smiled at your bit about lapping up the sympathy!!! I suppose I like to be the Independent Miss and.....now this may sound strange to you or anyone else reading but I think (even as I write this..) that I am even a tiny bit "ashamed" of my problems. Does that sound weird? I will be off work for a while and I feel a bit guilty about that too...though it is illogical. That's why it's good to be on here where i can have a moan with others in similar situations. Anyway, I will try to enjoy the sympathy and not comparing myself to others......well that's a lifetime of work for me I think! Got to go join my boys . I smell dinner and am ravenous! ps already found someone with knee problems like me- that never happened before!
 
PPS Anyone finding their skin very flaky, despite moisturiser? Never had this before....
@lizzie66,
I too have had very dry skin the past 6 weeks since my surgery. I have been attributing it to the weather. I have been doubling and tripling up on my moisturizing but with no help. I even started using pure coconut oil and that helps for a little while. I wonder what about the surgery affects the skin. Anyone know????

Queenie,

Happy Spring birthday. I hope you have a wonderful day

MJ
 
Hi Mjmrphy. I agree it could be the weather - it is freezing cold here and am sure it is much colder in the US! Having poor circulation doesn't help of course. Can't wait for this winter to end and for me to be up and moving round more. Anyway am not going to worry too much about dry skin (it's the least of my worries!!!). I was just curious to know if I was the only one and am glad I'm not. With my dry skin, crazy scar, hairy legs, limp etc I feel like a one woman freak show. I have no vanity left!!!! This will pass.....hopefully.lol!
 
HAHA..good to know I'm not alone!! When I went to see the OS yesteday, they gave me shorts to put on so he could examine my leg!!! He's 37 and cute as can be....even though I'm 10 days from the big 6-0 (OUCH) I still have some pride! I was dying because of the hair!! Today I determined to get the chainsaw out and get rid of it all!!Even the chin hair needs a little grooming!!!LOL
 
@Queenie,

HAHAHAHA Thanks for the knicker reminder....Those I keep on and just pull down the sweats, etc. My scar is in the front of my thigh so I still have to be somewat descreet!!!!!

MJ
 
having a good old belly laugh about the pants/knickers difference. Thanks for clarifying Queenie! I am going to bribe my hubbie with whatever it takes (no need to let your imaginations run away with you ladies, it'll probably be some beer!!!) to shave my legs before I go back to the consultant. He keeps saying "your legs are fine" but I see him secretly recoiling!!!! Well we are learning recently exactly what "For better or for worse, in sickness and in health" means!!!!! Mjmrphy I'm sure your scar is only beautiful. I haven't even really got around to looking at mine - one thing at a time I reckon!
Acbelmar- if I look as well as you do when i am approaching 60 I will be very happy!!!
 
My girlfriends came over one night with a bottle of wine and a tube of Immac bless them.

Isn't it silly how we all worry about the hairy leg issue? I very much doubt that surgeons discuss who had the patient with the hairiest legs on their lunch breaks or at dinner parties. But most of us still can't take the risk.

Sounding pretty chipper today lizzie66

Xxxxxxxxxx
 
I'm sitting here laughing about you girls talking about your hairy legs. Some of the hippy girls (thats not hip replacement girls but a throw back from the 60's) never shave their legs. So you all would fit right in here in Oregon.:loll:
 
Queenie's thread is always the fun thread, so the hairy legs discussion fits in rather well, here. Personally, it was when my leg hair started to actually curl that I realized they were going to offer me a guest appearance on Wild Kingdom unless I took drastic measures (Swiffer handle with a Venus razor shoved up into it). I would no sooner let my fiance near me with a sharp object than ask him to cook an omelet. Both are equally hazardous.

Queenie, I'm sending some good thoughts for Archie, poor baby. It's so hard to take them to the vet, isn't it? I once had two cats who would do the "Certain Doom Moaning Yowl" all the way there. I kept the car windows rolled up so no one would overhear and report me to PETA.

Re: the dry skin issue, my two cents is to take it as a sign that you should consume extra water, now. Yes, yes, I know that it makes one hobble to the toilet high throne more often, but your body needs the extra hydration for the healing process.

mjmrphy55, keep right on "dropping trou" proudly!

Cheers to all,

HHH
 
Today I am feeling in a cheeky mood so I thought I would post a smashing photo of me and him indoors taken at a music festival(Camp Bestival) last year. Happy Days!........

Xxxxxx
[Bonesmart.org] 26 days and I need a hug.
 
Queenie. Love the picture. Yes, I can see the immac would come in handy alright!!! God your friends are good- I'm meeting 2 for lunch on Friday and I can just imagine the look on their faces if i suggested some help of that kind!! Yes, I am in better form today - i think it's a combination of finding help and having a moan on here, the thought of a glass of red wine tonight (i actually walked into the supermarket to help pick it out- i probably haven't been out enough recently) and the fact that i got an appt to see my consultant in 2 weeks. He'll tell me I can sleep on my sides, i will get 8 hrs sleep every night and live happily ever after (only kidding! I've read enough on this forum to know it will take ages....)
hiphiphooray I just might try that handle thing with the razor. It could be messy though and hubbie would end up cleaning up the mess anyway, hee hee I could drink more water, I know, I know but yes i kind of dread all the up and downstairs to the loo (with the raised seat. Will i be able to lose that at 6 weeks do you think?). After 5pm I drink quite little (except for aforementioned red wine tonight! needs must and all that.....)
tankeryanker. Oregan and its hairy-legged ladies sounds lovely and liberating and we would hope to visit one day but it's a bit far from Ireland. If i set out on my crutches I suppose I might get there at some stage...imagine how long my hair would be by then though!!!
Queenie, again just re-read your post about the consultants not really caring about our legs. Yeah, if we think of what they have seen of us during surgery I'd say hairy legs would be an easy day's work for them....
got to go. Have a nice evening everyone. xx
 
Oh believe me the Docs have more things to talk about than our hairy legs!! On my first visit after surgery, my Os came into the room and expressed his disappointment that I didn't tell him I flew the NY Yankees around! I was quite shocked and asked him where he had heard that..and he laughed and said I was very talkative in the OR!!!I asked if I let out any secrets and he said the OR is like Vegas..what happenes in the OR stays in the OR!!!We had a good laugh about it, but I am still wondering exactly what I told him... :heehee:
 
Brilliant pic, Queenie! You look like you're having loads of fun. I loved Firebrand's remark about the mustache from leg hair -- yours especially!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom