THR 26 days and I need a hug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very sorry about the flu, Queenie, as well as the crummy, nonexistent aftercare--especially since you paid for the surgery!--and the disappointing PT. You've every right to feel blue and disappointed. I for one think it's realistic to acknowledge the peachiness as well as the pits in our situations; pointing out the pits doesn't mean you aren't aware of the peachiness. I admire you for embarking on a letter to voice your concerns and complaints. Good luck to you with the flu and I hope a new PT will be a better fit for you and for what you need.
 
Hey Queenie. You sound like you are well on the road to recovery. Well done for dancing all night as well!
 
Hello there fellow hipsters
It's been a while. I'm nearly 5 and 2 years down the line after my hip replacements. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar outcome to me.
General everyday pain - None really that affects my day to day life..........All good!
Strolling around house/town etc - No real pain(maybe a touch of back ache here and there)
Dancing - My passion, and thank goodness I can still have a darn good bop at weddings/parties/festies for a
Couple of hours before I have to rest my pins.
Walking - NOW HERE'S THE PROBLEM............I still can't walk much more than a mile/25mins before my legs
start aching and I appear to lose the ability to put one foot in front of the other.
The pain is deep and brings tears to my eyes. It affects my hips, buttocks, thighs and lower back. I have been back to my surgeon several times. He just makes an appointment with me to see a physio of which I've seen 5 now. They all seem flummoxed by my symptoms and give me the same exercises non of which work. I joined a gym, had acupuncture, myofacial release treatment, deep tissue massage the list is quite long. Pilates helps a little but it still doesn't help me walk longer than around a mile.
This far down the line with my endless attempts to help myself I am beginning to wonder if this is it for me and that unfortunately I'm one of the unlucky ones for whom surgery has been a bit of a disappointment to say the least.
It's obviously the walking action that is the problem as I can ride a bike but can't use the cross trainer for any length of time.
I have a high pain threshold but feel my body hasn't coped well with the surgery or foreign bodies in my body(too many bodies there.......you know what I'm trying to say!) I have good days and bad days but I'm aware that just getting in contact with you guys after all this time means I'm pretty much at the end of my tether and feeling sad and desperate at times. I'm not overweight and eat very healthily.
There are days that I feel extremely weak and I wonder if I've got ME or MS. My husband tells me off for even thinking like that but for longer walks with the dog I now have to use hiking sticks to get me back home. I feel I've tried everything I can do to help myself. My symptoms are a bit weird. Maybe my body just hasn't coped. Maybe my body doesn't like the implants(no actual probs with the implants by the way). Maybe it's nerves, maybe it's muscle damage, who knows?

So I just wondered if anyone else is suffering like me a few years down the line?

Sorry to sound negative but believe me I've tried for many YEARS to be positive and now I'm running a bit low on positive juice. All this is making me feel low and I'm losing my sense of humour...........Hate that.

All help gladly accepted

Lotsa love Queenie xxxx
 
Hi Queenie! Sounds like you're doing great except for the back pain. I have a similar problem, which seems to be related to my having a big arch in my low back (hyperlordosis) which, in my case, is caused by really tight hip flexors (the muscles deep in the abdomen & in the front of the thigh). This article explains how to check that out: https://www.healthline.com/health/fitness-exercise/prevent-main-factor-back-pain-after-running. If this is the case for you, your PT should be able to get you on a program of stretches that will help. Also core strengthening exercises like forearm plank, bridge, and alternating arms and legs while on all fours can help, too. Links are below. Hope this helps!

https://www.somatics.com/psoas.htm

broken link removed: https://www.physioadvisor.com.au/8278250/hip-flexor-stretches-psoas-stretch-hip-flexor-.htm
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Queenie so sorry to hear you are suffering. Have you ever had lower back problems? Your symptoms sound like what I felt when I started suffering sciatica. This was many years before I had my THR. Walking was a major chore. Has your GP prescribed anything for the pain? Anti-inflammatories help me at first. Physio specifically for the back (core stability as BarbaraR says) and eventually an osteopath helped as well.
 
Hi Queenie.

I was also disappointed to find that I have pain after standing or walking for more than around 20 mins. I was diagnosed with bursitis, so had a cortisone injection into my hip, which unfortunately didn't help. I then paid a small fortune to a physio who did all sorts to me, gave me exercises, etc, and it didn't go. I went back last week for my second cortisone injection, and am waiting to see if it helped (I think the answer is no, though). Like you I am wondering if this is it, the best my hip will be? Whilst it is soooo much better than how I was pre-op, the pain if I have to stand on the train to work for example, can bring tears to my eyes.
 
Queenie, so sorry to hear about the pain you're in when walking. Maybe what Barbara is saying is a help to you. I hope you get relief and answers soon, take care.
 
Queenie, since you're describing more of a tired, achy feeling in your legs rather than pain, I'm wondering if you might have some circulation issues in your legs. There are some tests that can be done through a cardiologist's office or a vein clinic to see if this is the problem.
 
Hi Queenie

I was so pleased to see your thread again. Please top up your positive juice tank asap, as your sense of humour and ready witticisms made your posts such fun to read.

I have some trouble with walking, too. Not pain as such (though I do have a constant tight achy feeling in my thigh and outer part of my bottom), but in getting up any head of steam. I'm fine when I'm walking on my own, but as soon as I walk with other people I just can't keep up their pace. It sort of feels as though my legs just can't handle that really tricky to and fro action in the way they used to. Difficult to describe...

Like you, I'm not overweight and have a good diet, and I've always been "a pleasure walker", as opposed to what I call "a competition walker" - boots on, heads down.

You may wonder what decisive and positive action I am taking about this, and I am rather ashamed to say that "zilch" would pretty much sum it up. I kinda figure that after 3 surgeries on one hip (one after accident, then 2-stage revision) - plus breaking the corresponding foot this summer - I have overall got off pretty lightly.

Bear in mind that I am significantly older than you, and don't have to keep up with active teenagers. I'm not advocating my pathetic "plan" as one I would have you follow. I wish you every success in your attempts to sort the problem. I'm sure your other replies contain some good ideas.

We are off on one of our wildlife trips over Christmas and New Year, exploring islands of the Indian Ocean, many uninhabited. The naturalists generally split the party up into the slow walk and the faster walk.

Whilst my husband Graham will make strong manly strides in the vanguard, soppy Glynis will potter behind with the rest of the walking wounded, with the story of the tortoise and the hare kept firmly in mind.

And now I've mentioned the C word. Sorry. Didn't mean to spoil your day.

All the best.

Glynis
 
Oh wow,
Thank you for your replies everyone. I'm going to read all the info @BarbaraR has kindly given me. I've definitely got a back problem now on top of the pain(and it's most def pain @Jamie) in my legs, hips, buttocks etc. I had a brief look and seeing as I've tried most things I'm happily prepared to give those exercises a go.
@Firebrand - So sorry to hear things haven't worked out for you. It's such a disappointment. Nice to hear from you though and I'll keep my fingers well and truely crossed in the hope that things work out for you. X
@glynis - Get you!.......The intrepid explorer. How marvellous. I'm impressed and envious all at the same time.
You also sound like you've been through the mill. It's bloomin' pants ain't it?! Still it doesn't look like anything is going to stop you living a very full and interesting life.
My life hasn't stopped, I mean I haven't let my pain put the kibosh on living. Since I last had a moan I've been abroad, been camping.........or should I say glamping a lot, attended loads of gigs, festies(where I made dancing with sticks sexy!), weddings, rugby matches.......the list goes on. I just feel very weak in the areas I've already mentioned and from time to time it's worse on some days than others. If I'm on a long walk(30mins), I need to take hiking sticks. It's no biggie I guess. Not when you see what's going on around the world at the moment. I should feel happy to be living in a free country where I can pretty much do and say what I like. I guess there's always someone worse off than you. Just such a disappointment that's all.
Anyway got a curry bubbling away nicely so I'm going to sign off. Thanks again everyone I really appreciate your input.
When I type again we'll know what the Scots have voted for. I know there's loads of issues that need addressing up there but considering the amount of unrest and global hatred around the world at the moment I'm completely flummoxed as to why anyone would want to separate and not be united.
Big kiss to all
Queenie xxx
 
Hi @Queenie Well, we are still the United Kingdom! Thank goodness!
After nearly 2 years since my LTHR, like you I still seem to have problems walking any distance - not really pain, though, just complete lack of stamina and exhaustion - nothing I do seems to help. I've had blood tests, all sorts, my GP is baffled. It's so frustrating as I used to love walking around the North Kent marshes (Dickens country) and wish I could do so again. It hasn't stopped us using our boat (a 40ft motor cruiser) and we have just come back from a trip down through France to Paris, magic!
Love Anne
 
Hi Queenie, hang in there. Are you or did you walk every day post surgery? I had TLHR on November 21 last year. I was up and around very quickly. However, we had a terrible winter in Oklahoma and there was snow and ice on the ground more often than not in December and January. So, even though I was capable of walking a mile or 2-k's, I could not get out of the house and I am paying for it now.
I ran a half marathon in Oct 2012, now if I have to stand over an hour or walk a great deal I better have a handful of pills.
I will say it again, If you hurt, they make pills and there is no shame in pain relievers if you hurt.
I wear calf sleeves at night to keep my lower legs from cramping up. You might try some compression sleeves or tights when you walk. It may not help but you will look good:-)
As an ex-runner it is very difficult for me psychologically to go walking so I bought a bicycle. I want to run so bad but I also don't want to have THR again. I just got back from a short ride and it wonderful.
I would have thought by now I would be able to ride ten miles with no problems but there is nothing in the gas tank after six or seven miles. So it takes a while for the stamina to build up. I don't have mine yet. I am mostly pain free now except for strange chairs and having to travel for work. Standing and taking those first few steps is still very interesting.


Sent from dougie0216's iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@Queenie

One of the best things you can do right now for yourself is to start strength training. Building up all those gluts, quads and especially your core muscles. I am not saying you have lift tons of weight or spend hours doing it. The gluts med,min and max, your abdominal and oblique abs, you abductors and adductors. All off these muscles work in conjunction with your hip. If you can cycle start taking beginner spin classes. If you can swim that is another all over exercise that is non impact and works all the muscles. Yoga is great but there are certain restrictions for joint replacement participants and your OS should be able to refer you to someone who understands that whole area.

Now all I can tell you is that even with having bone on bone pain for the last 2 years, I did 2 Iroman races and a bunch off other races for swimming and cycling. I found that if I kept working out it kept all the muscles around that hip strong for the surgery. Endurance racing is my hobby but doing those activities that I mentioned above are all fine as well. I saw 7 PTs before finding someone who got it. I went to a PT who was out of a sports medicine clinic and did not rely on machines only. He identified weak muscles and gave specific exercises to work on those muscles. I did them faithfully which in turn let me do more and more. So it wasn't about the quantity of exercise, it is about the quality of exercise and finding the right PT for you.

Sorry for the huge message but since we are close in age, I wanted you to know that there is a solution yet there will be aches and pains but you can turn it around. It is achievable you just have to commit to the work..which I think you would do without hesitation.

Cheryl

Ps. I blame all typos on morphine as I am 1 week post surgery.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom