THR 26 days and I need a hug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Birthday Queenie, well done on your cheeky bike ride, very brave :)
 
@Queenie-hope it was fun and that you had a bit slurp for me cos I seem incapable of it myself. Don't worry about hangovers- if you are low on drugs I can ship MAJOR meds over to you. I honestly don't know what to do with the serious stuff my doc prescribed and sent me home with - hand it in to the nearest police station???
@HHH (love the shorter nickname!!) you truly are a mine of information! I am off to examine my pee after this. Just one more thing to build into my day since I don't really have a life and seem suspended in time at the moment!
Barbara, that picture is sooo funny. The only sad thing is that what the guy is saying in the bubble sounds nearly word for word like what I say to my husband on an hourly basis at the moment. The man is headed for sainthood soon BUT yes he has come down with man flu often and it ain't pretty! Sadly for him at the moment he can't compete with a hip replacement and shot knees. The minute I recover (see I am being positive!) I predict an outbreak .... and he will have deserved it. The saddest thing is our little bo, hoping for a day off school was complaining of a sore hip not long before my op!!!! That made me feel bad......
To everyone else Good Morning and bring on the laughs (it's either you laugh or you cry for me some days!)
 
Hello ZF (Can't find an umlaut on my keyboard, so have abbreviated you.)

Some years ago we were staying in a less than salubrious hotel in rural Cuba, and had been chatting to a young English bloke also staying there. One evening he didn't come down to dinner, so we assumed he had gone into the nearby town in search of some action.

At breakfast the following day he appeared, looking really ill, and covered in gruesome-looking bites, almost like boils. Seems he had fallen asleep in the afternoon, and had been subjected to Attack of the Killer Arachnids. Are your spiders as vicious as that? As far as I know, we don't have biting spiders in the UK.

Our house is a converted barn, and we share it with many 8-legged friends. The folklore is that they resent us humans taking possession of their rightful homes, and stage mass protests, getting their abundant legs well and truly under the table, so to speak. I don't know if that's true - it is, after all, often quite difficult to be sure what a spider is thinking - but I quite like them, and they are welcome here. (Except for the very big, very hairy ones, which I put outside.)

It would be quite a different matter if they were The Biting Kind.
 
glynis and ZF(much easier!)

I really don't like killing anything of the insect/arachnid variety if I can help it. My husband has often come home to find a pint glass in the middle of the carpet where I have skilfully managed to trap one of those big, black, FAST, hairy spiders. It is then his job to set it free outside where I'm sure it finds the nearest entry point right back in!
For Xmas the kids gave me a spider catcher which I think is quite brilliant. It's a long plastic handle that has bristles on the end that open when you pull the trigger. You can then pick up the spider and remove it outside(where it will come straight back in), no harm done. Genius! But have I seen a spider since I've had said trap in my possession?..........No. I reckon word's got out around the webs(see what I did there?)that I have a new gismo and they've all gone into hiding.....Winner!
A converted barn sounds lovely. Are you in a village or all on your own in the middle of nowhere?

lizzie66 - I only had a few drinkies so I'm feeling fine this morning. Have you got the vile weather we've had in the SouthWest for the last couple of days? I've just returned from a very cold, wet and muddy walk with my dog. Brrrrrrrrrrrr..........I've just phoned my husband and told him that it's his turn tomorrow! I'm a wee bit worried about my 11yr old daughter. She's returning from a weeks school trip to France today. Look at the weather!! Hope the ferry crossing won't be too rough. Unfortunately the poor girl has got a real phobia about being sick or being around anyone else who's being sick. She was allowed to phone me yesterday because it was my birthday. She told me that half the kids on that trip(around 60) had gone down with a stomach bug and and there was sickness everywhere. Poor girl. This would've been an absolute nightmare for her. They're all travelling home today.......8hrs on the coach and 5hrs on the ferry. Not a good mix when you're dealing with a lot of sick kids. I feel so sorry for them all. The poor teachers must be pulling their hair out. Can't wait to give her a nice big cuddle when she gets home at 10 tonight.
How old is your bo?
I always say I'm the runt of the litter because I've got arthritis from my dads side of the family, varicose veins(Sexy) from my mums side and a dickie ticker from The Universe............I think I was bestowed with that little gift just to see how I'd cope under pressure!
I often say.......'Universe......I'm happy to have all these ailments as long as my lovely girls don't ever have to suffer like I have'. I hope the Universe is in agreement. I guess only time will tell.
Most of us would do anything to ensure our children have problem free, healthy lives wouldn't we? It pulls on the old heart strings, whether they are genuinely ill or just making a connection with your ailments to get a day off school.............Good skills by the way. :)

Right......I am now off to have a nice hot shower to warm myself up.

Lotsa lurve

Queenie xxxx
 
glynis and Queenie well, in Virginia we have two types of poisonous spiders, the black widow and the brown recluse. Black widows like wood piles, as do copperhead snakes (very dangerous bite), so everybody knows to be very careful around their wood piles! The brown recluse likes your unused/stored for the season linen and clothing, also in glove fingers and socks... It is the more dangerous of the two. But the ones that bite me are neither-- I never actually catch them! They raise up a huge welt and then crawl along another few inches up your jeans and bite again, and again... it only itches for about 24 hours unless you scratch it raw. I don't think they are attacking, I think they are defending themselves cos they got stuck in a hot dark place LOL. Every time I put on something I haven't worn in awhile, I turn it inside out and shake and brush it off reallllly well!
We also have dozens of other types, one of which jumps out at you and can grow quite large-- we call them wolf spiders or hunting spiders. They don't mind living in your house either, but mostly are outdoors. I ran into a gigantic one in an outhouse once that I would have had to turn my back on to pee. I went in the woods LOL.
And you know? I didn't like to kill spiders either till I moved to this town almost 6 yrs ago-- but there are just too darn MANY in my house that I can't give each of them a little gondola ride to their natural habitat. There's the shower spiders, and the corner spiders, and the "looks like a daddy longlegs but isn't" spider, and the one that crawls across the bedroom ceiling at 11:00pm headed right towards the bed so you really have to get up and get it...
Queenie, I hope your daughter stays well-- the crossing sounds like it's going to be awful! I feel for the teachers and chaperones... Maybe everybody will get a day off Monday. Close the school. Something! Give her a hug for me too-- poor thing! :) chris
 
[Bonesmart.org] 26 days and I need a hug. ZF--you've sure got your spiders all classified, and I recognize everyone of them. The shower and corner ones are abundant spring through fall. I had black widows at my old pump house--I now have a larger pump house you can actually walk into---so I"ll have to see what I end up with there---but there Will be spiders. I get the occasional writing spider---I kinda like them--very interesting webs. I'm fine with them as long as they stay outside---but if I find one in the house, their death wish comes true.
 
I dont mind spiders Ed ( oh) screams like a girl when he sees them :scare:and its me who rescues him. I dont like daddy long legs that's just wrong like spider and fly combined.
Barbara
 
Glynis and ZF all this talk of spiders has my skin crawling!! look what you have started......
Queenie, my little bo (you are mean- I will try to be more careful about typos in future, Miss!) is fine. Started his holidays today so delighted with himself. Won't get much outside play in this weather but it is nice to have him home and he was well ready for a break from school (he's 9). Your poor daughter and her schoolmates, wretched weather for a sea crossing. You will be glad to have her home. She's still your baby after all. I totally agree with you about not wanting children to be ill. That consoles me when i feel sorry for myself- my little bo (will call him Bo from now on methinks!!) is happy and healthy and that is everything. One of the boys is his class had to have heart surgery recently and couldn't play in the yard and that made me so sad...
Anniepops I love the motto at the end of your profile...it is too true. I find myself wishing away these days until i can at least start to walk crutch-free and yet each day has something good about it (even the bad ones) and we shouldn't wish our lives away. Life is precious (even spider lives Queenie!!)
Barbara, thanks for your wishes and yes today was better, mentally if not physically. I think I am accepting my knees more and know with time i will reach some kind of mobility. It may not be the long walks in the countryside that i'd love but maybe some cycling, gentle yoga (next year), pilates.
you will all have noticed that technophobe here can't do the @ thing. I type @ the name press return and nothing happens. I am ALWAYS the last to cotton on to these things.
Today i got out for my longest spell outside the house since hospital (the loo, the loo can't take the throne with me you know!). Plan was to meet 2 friends from work for an hour but in the end it turned into 3 hours and another friend happened to meet us. It was so GOOD to be out, talking about something else besides me, my pain, my knees,.... One of them is going through a much more serious health challenge than mine at the moment and she is coming through it with such strength and good grace. It was good to chat, laugh and eat cake!!! My new resolution is to get out a bit more- i tend to go into my shell a bit when the chips are down but true friends don't mind spending time when things are harder.... and my new friends on here have already helped me so much. xx
on that corny (but sincere) note I will bid you a good evening and join big Bo and little Bo by a lovely roaring fire.
 
Ha ha ha.........I genuinely thought that bo was a little nick name. So now I agree, you should call him bo all the time.........at home too. Then when people ask why you call him Bo you can say its down to your lack of typing skills!..........Only kidding. Just noticed you've got two Bos..........Could get confusing.

Hope you're enjoying your fire........Might go and do the same.

Queenie xxxxx
 
bottomshollow I had 3 pet garden spiders like your pic last summer. I loved watching their webs-- even tho two of them blocked the front porch steps-- you had to duck and weave to avoid them. They are a beautiful animal, I think. I don't know what a writing spider is-- will google them! And watch out in that pump house!!!!!!:yikes:
lizzie66 I too thought "bo" was some Irish-ism... good to know the Irish can't type, just like me!! :loll: I think getting out is a verrrrry good idea! :)
 
zauberflöte, and@Queenie little Bo is the son, big Bo is the husband and yes the Irish make mistakes sometimes though I might say the typo was the English in me (was born there and mum was English)....but I won't! Will have to come up with a good cyber nickname for our little dog too as I'm sure he wouldn't want his real identity revealed on line.
Actually will give you a hip-relevant laugh. I have learnt from experience not to google too many things online as scary things can come up and my mind races ahead. When the consultant first mentioned hip dysplasia i got big Bo to look it up for me (and filter out the bad news). Loads of stuff came up about dogs. Apparently it is much more common in canines. Woof!
messing round with the @ and names with mixed success as you can see! I so need to get a life!
Queenie did your daughter get home safely last night? hope she wasn't too traumatised?
What is everyone planning for the weekend? I'll still be mostly home, icing and elevating my knees and not walking much. It is so tiresome but at least if i even come down to one crutch in 2 weeks i will have more freedom. Will try to keep warm inside and look out at the rain and windy landscape. At least we have a beautiful view over green fields and mountains to console me. And when i get fed up with all goodness for the soul then i might start the Sopranos boxset or rewatch Dexter just to mix it up a bit.
 
lizzie66 The dog could be Tiny Bo, unless he's really old, then he could be Old Bo??:loll:
Google-ing OR Youtube-ing can lead to much information one did not want with one's morning coffee... Some here on the forum have actually watched THR surgery (not animated, live:yikes: ) on Youtube. No. Thank. You. LOL
We're having a rainy chilly weekend too. Today I have to run errands and prep for our weekly roadtrip "Over the River and Through the Woods" to see Granny (hubby's mother) who lives 100 miles up the road. (AND across the river, AND much of the mileage is in the woods). Tomorrow we will drive the 100 miles, go to church while we're there, and have family Lunch@Granny's. My older son may bring along the makings for grilled cheese sandwiches again-- such comfort food!
When you say Dexter, do you mean Dexter's Laboratory? I love that cartoon!
Lizzie, I don't know much about your situation, but 2 crutches is not fun, that I know. I am sorry you are in so very much pain :console2:
 
@ZF after your description of your visit to granny I had to check your op date. You re in for May- I was thinking you couldn't have had hip surgery recently and survive that long trip. I was told to avoid long car trips for a while.
Anyway enjoy the trip. I was in Virginia once for a couple of nights and it was lovely.
The Dexter I mean is the dark one, the serial murderer who only kills bad guys. We love it!!! God I would NO WAY want to watch the surgery on youtube!! It would give me nightmares, IF I was sleeping! Lack of sleep is getting to me today and I am having another teary Saturday (well not too bad now but felt awful earlier when I tried to nap and couldn't). Tried Kalms last night and they had the opposite effect on me- I was wired and didn't fall asleep until 6am and woke at 7am. I am trying to stay chilled about it and not obsess but today is hard. I will have to visit my doctor on Monday and ask for help or else i will end up in the looney bin.
6 weeks on crutches is usual here. Sometimes i wil move a tiny distance on one and it feels good but i'd say i will fall on my face if the consultant asks me to try walking crutchless. anyway am off now to play with little Bo and little Do (i think Tiny Bo would really confuse even me!). Little Do is 3 (human years not dog years) next week so we will have to do something to celebrate.
catch you later
 
Hi lizzie66,
Loads of stuff came up about dogs. Apparently it is much more common in canines. Woof! When I took my cat to get his booster the vet was telling me all about it.:kittykiss:
Most cases are found in childhood mine wasn't confirmed till Aug 2012. When I read about others, who where discovered in childhood they have had lots of surgeries. So perhaps I am better off with just the two hips to be replaced.
Barbara
 
lizzie66 for your amusement!



I have heard of the Dexter you mean, but it's not my kind of entertainment... I need "Light Entertainment" most of the nearly all of the time. :loll:
And you know? I asked the OS nurse about that 100 mile drive post-op, and she said, "Sure!! Just no long trips!". So. Everybody's dr is different I guess. I won't be sitting on an incision, and it's a 1:45 drive on the interstate, so I guess if I feel up to it... :wink:
 
How about Bo-ne for the dog?

lizzie66 I think that a trip to the GP to discuss your sleeplessness sounds in order. Prolonged bouts of insomnia are not good for the body's recovery plan. For me it's not falling asleep - I could sleep on a cliff edge - it's staying asleep as I get uncomfortable and wake myself up. I tried Nytol last night - and it seemed to help. Let's see if the same is true tonight.

@ZF if your nurse doesn't consider 100 miles a long trip, I wonder what she would!
 
Firebrand hi! The other trip under discussion was a 600 mile vacation drive... LOL
I hope you both sleep well tonight (will have slept well? I think it's the middle of the night where you are)
I Love Bo-ne for the dog!!!!!!
 
Thanks for the spider info, ladies, and the super photo. Gosh, your big bad guys over there make our UK garden varieties look a bit pathetic. We do have one poisonous snake, the adder (or viper), but its venom isn't usually strong enough to kill a healthy human.

When I was 10 we moved to an area where there was a big population of adders. A friend and I used to take a neighbour's big old Labrador, Honey, out for walks, and let her off the lead in wooded areas. One day she rooted out an adder. My friend and I went into hysterical shriek mode at the thought of the sheer amount of trouble we would get into if we had to get hold of a leg each, and drag Honey's lifeless body back to her furious owner.

Thankfully the adder took matters into its own hands. Deafened by the row we were making, and sick of being sniffed and pawed by this big hairy brute, it slunk off into the brambles.

Do you have conkers in the USA? Perhaps you don't call them that. They are the seeds of the horse chestnut tree, inside the spiky shells. I mention them because they are meant to act like mothballs to spiders, if you keep them in the house. (Don't use them in stables, though, as they are poisonous to horses.)

Our house isn't in a village, Queenie, but we're not isolated. It is one of a development of 10 properties, all completely different, which have been converted from a group of redundant farm buildings on a still working farm. We have fields all around, but there is a busy A road at the end of our little quarter mile lane, and there's a small town only 5 minutes away. I mention the quarter mile as it makes a handy marker for my daily constitutional. I can do there and back once quite easily now, but two trips is still a bit taxing.

Mind you, I haven't always done even once just recently, as I won't risk going out in the Arctic blizzards which are such a charming feature of what we laughingly refer to as "Spring" this year. (As you know, there are no penguins in the Arctic, so it is not what I am used to.)

I am envious of you living in Devon. We have a few days in Dartmouth most years, and I love that area. The boat trip from Dartmouth to Totnes is just lovely.

My late mum had some Oriental incense burners, which she bought because she liked the dragon motifs on them. She never used them for incense, so when they came to me I thought I would have a go. As you can imagine, there was no shortage of incense products to choose from in Totnes' New Age shops. I chose one which seemed to smell quite nice.

When I got it home and read the packet, it said: "This blend is particularly suitable for use at exorcisms." Well, it's always useful to have exorcism paraphernalia handy in the cupboard... that's what I always say.

My friend who lives outside Sheffield has just emailed to say she has 18 inches of snow on her driveway.

Spring has sprung.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom