THR 26 days and I need a hug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

Thanks for inquiring as to my whereabouts. Got to go to Tesco now. Will write later. Didn't want you all to think I was ignoring you.

Xxxxxxxxx
 
Well helloooooooo there!

How the devil is everyone?

I've been a bit on the busy since my life has returned to 'normal' mode............. Your friendly neighbourhood 1950s styled Housewife has taken back her 'I'm the boss' badge back at last!

As far as my recovery is concerned (14wks down the line) I'm doing ok. I still have a swollen incision area which I still can't lie on but I'm seeing my OS about that next week. I'm very stiff getting up from a chair or bed and I can't walk for longer than 1/2hr without needing to sit down for a bit. Walking upstairs gets easier week by week. I can now carry washing upstairs without hanging on to the bannister.............Go me!
I'm hoping to see a different Physio soon to get a second opinion on the state of my poor achy muscles. I stopped the exercises I was given by the last physio as they seemed to compound the pain on the outside of my hip. Since stopping those exercises the swelling seems to have reduced a little too.
While I'm here I would like to tag Josephine just to see if 14wks is still an acceptable time to experience swelling and tenderness around the incision area?

Moving on........I'm learning to accept that my recovery is not going to be quite as swift as others. My first hip was the same......You'd think I would've sussed that my body is a bit of a slow healer by now.

All good in the hood at the moment. I've had a lovely Easter Break chillin' with my two lovely daughters and I'm not really looking forward to them going back to school.
But friends................Tonight is Fajita Friday so there is fun to be had in Queenies house tonight! Although no dancing because I'm coming down with a cold.

Hope all you guys are getting on ok and that all your glasses are half full.

Keep on keepin' on Warriors

Queenie xxxx
 
Tut tut

Apologies for my grammar. I seem to have repeated myself a few times during that post.

Me OCD?.........

Xxxx
 
Great to hear from you Queenie.... Great update, you are doing very well :)

Swelling can persist for quite a long time for some of us.. I am 16 + month post and occasionally get some swelling and tightness at the top of my thigh.. Rest and ice and it resolves quickly..
 
Hi Queenie. Good to hear from you. I think that different bits of us heal at different paces, it certainly isn't a one size fits all experience. I'm glad that you are getting further advise from the medics.
 
Hi Queenie Sounds like you are making progress and getting back to normal life which is the most important thing. I'm sure we all want to hear what your OS says and how you get on with the new physio.Lots of good wishes coming your way
 
14wks down the line) I'm doing ok. I still have a swollen incision area which I still can't lie on. I'm very stiff getting up from a chair or bed and I can't walk for longer than ½hr without needing to sit down for a bit. I stopped the exercises I was given by the last physio as they seemed to compound the pain on the outside of my hip. Since stopping those exercises the swelling seems to have reduced a little too.
Well, I think what you have described sounds an awful lot like Trochanteric bursitis with or without ITB (ilio-tibial band) issues. That can occur at any time regardless of having had a THR.
 
Thanks Josephine I really appreciate your input.

Feeling very deflated today as I have waited a long time to see my OS. I had an appointment booked for Friday but he has cancelled and put the appointment back for 2wks. I'm not impressed by his aftercare service as he hasn't examined me once since my op. I would like to make a complaint.........But to who? He is the top honcho. He's a nice guy and has an excellent reputation but I feel totally looked over and abandoned.
I feel very fat and unfit as I've not been able to get back on track as I planned. I HATE feeling like this. I'm in limbo and Its making me feel very low. On top of all that I've got the flu...........yes folks real flu not man flu. Boo hoo........feel awful and I'm struggling to stay positive.

Feel like being quiet for a while cos I've lost my sense of humour.

Queenie xxx
 
Queenie- I haven't seen my OS either. I had my surgery on Jan 22 (not long after you). Had a 3 week check up with Physician assistant. Everything was great. Scheduled next appt for April 12 and that got canceled so will be seeing Doc on the 26th of April. I have just started exercising the last week. Started back to my gym but am taking it very slow and easy until I get official permission. I have gained a great deal of weight as I really like to eat especially when I was so bored. Hope you feel better soon. That flu stuff is no fun at all. Keep up the positive attitude.
 
Oh dear Queenie, that's a blow. I'm afraid that whilst some of our surgeons may be brilliant technically, they can sometimes forget that there is a whole person attached to 'their' hip - who rightfully wants to know stuff about it. I think they would prefer to go back to the days of 'doctor knows best', and the patient just doffs their cap to them. But two weeks isn't forever - its just longer than you had anticipated.

Does your hospital have a 'PALS' facility for making complaints? It might be worth looking into.

Were you going to look into finding a private physio to see how that worked?

You don't just need to come on here to be dazzling and funny you know, it's ok to just vent when you need to. That is what your captive audience is here for ma'am.

*doffs forelock and curtsies*
 
Thanks folks

Firebrand, on reflection I am going to write a letter to my OS to express my disappointment in his aftercare. He knew that I was very nervous about having my right hip replaced as I was seeing him re the troubles with my left hip replacement. He knew that I had made an appointment to see one of his colleagues while he was away and therefore had notes on my concerns. I'm just surprised that I've seen him twice since my op, voiced my concerns re my hip and he didn't examine me once! What he did do was make an appointment with a physio who gave me exercises that just compounded the pain and made me feel worse.
I'm not impressed and I'm going to let him know, very politely, by letter.
Lets not forget that I had my operation privately and feel like I've paid a lot of money for poor service. I feel I've stumped up a lot of money only for my worries to have fallen on deaf ears. Thank goodness for BS because I've had more help and concern from the lovely folks on here than I've had from the professionals connected with my THR.

Moving on.......my husband is still trying to contact an excellent physio that we know so I'm hoping that a few issues will be resolved when I finally get to see him. Fingers crossed.

Queenie xxx
 
Queenie - I think that sounds like a excellent and reasonable plan of action. As you say, he was fully aware of your concerns - the least he could do was address them. After all, you paid for his services - its not unreasonable to expect a bit of reassurance or at least explanation for £5k. Good luck with it.

And yes, thank goodness for BS.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom