THR 26 days and I need a hug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Queenie, sounds like you have had a hard time lately with your surgeon and then the flu. Only my surgeon could give me the reassurance I needed about my surgery. He was able to answer my questions and concerns as to the before surgery pain I had and also gave me confidence for my next surgery. I hope it all comes together for you soon. I hope you recover from the flu soon.
 
Queenie Hi there! Sorry to hear about your recent hassles and yes, it is very disappointing that you have been treated this way. Sometimes i feel they are only interested in cutting us up and what happens after that they leave to us to figure out with the GP, physio, nurse etc. I had my 6 week meeting and the doc is now treating my knee (with injections containing viscous). When i did my research they only have a 50% chance of success and last 6-8 months but he didn't tell me that. Anyway, it is worth a shot (pardon pun). I did think of you Queenie when he told me to lose the crutch totally and not get a cane! I had such an awful limp but he said that would sort itself out. I thought of you and the charlie chaplin waddle and then i did some research and everything points to needing a cane until i am strong enough to walk without a limp. My hubbie (big Bo, remember him?) says already my limp is less obvious. So you see, consultant was not right!
Generally I'm in much better form, driving a little, getting my life back but like you and lots of others here, recovery is not as fast as anticipated. I expect I will be the whole summer working on my limp and getting my knee back in some kind of working order. I wouldn't even try to sleep on operated side but it is a joy to lie on my left and usually sleep okay. Am looking at the positives and learning patience.
I TOO REALLY APPRECIATE SUPPORT AND ADVICE I GOT HERE ON BONESMART xxx. I don't check in as often because my days have got busier but i will every now and then.
Your sense of humour will come back Queenie cos you can't keep a good girl down. Write that letter - you will feel so much better for having done it.
And to everyone else - WE WILL GET THERE!! XX
PS legs shaved, in the end i kind of got used to it and wan't as hirsute as i thought i'd be but summer is coming!
 
Lets not forget that I had my operation privately
The you are totally stumped as PALS and all that are only in NHS.
I had an appointment booked for Friday but he has cancelled and put the appointment back for 2wks.
Private practice apart, you have to bear in mind that a consultant has a lot of other calls on his time including lecturing, speaking at conferences, taking obligatory study leave and being on call for trauma; any or all of which can require short notice changes to their diary. It's not nice but it's just how their lives are run these days.
I am going to write a letter to my OS to express my disappointment in his aftercare.
I suggest you also ask for a refund on the fees as recompense for the poor care you feel you have had. That would probably do more to get his attention than anything!
He knew that I was very nervous about having my right hip replaced
Honey, you have to understand and accept that all patients are very nervous and have concerns about their surgery. To him this wouldn't be out of the ordinary at all. I've often said that on the occasions I've asked patients in the pre-op holding bay (in theatre) if they are 'okay' and have never yet met one who hasn't said they are anxious, nervous, scared, terrified, etc., etc. In fact, it would be easier to count the number who weren't and that number would be ................. zero! So what I am saying here is that you should expect this to make any impact with him because it's highly unlikely to, given what you've already said about him.
 
Queenie you poor thing - flu really knocks you out when you are otherwise healthy let alone post-op! Take it easy and no trying to be Wonderwoman even if it does seem a backwards step.
On another point, I realised this week that the reason my husband is asking me why I'm limping is because I'm "plonking" my left foot on the floor flat instead of heel-and-toeing. It's not really a limp, but is making me do the penguin waddle! More to think about when moving about.
Healing vibes and hugs to you
Anne
 
Queenie
On another point, I realised this week that the reason my husband is asking me why I'm limping is because I'm "plonking" my left foot on the floor flat instead of heel-and-toeing. It's not really a limp, but is making me do the penguin waddle! More to think about when moving about.
I've noticed that I'm plonking as well - particularly when tired, and have to make a conscious effort not to slip into bad habits when walking.
 
Plonkers of the world unite. Me, I'm sticking with the penguin brigade.

I am just back from what I naively thought was to be "a holiday". Turned out to be an endurance test. If it were possible for any aspect to go wrong, then go wrong it did. Too zonked today to do anything but stare at a computer screen, I'm sorry to read that you have had your OS appt put back.

If you want my advice... No, I know you don't, but here it is anyway.

Rather than talking about making a formal complaint at this stage, I'd get yourself psyched up to tell him clearly that you are not at all happy with your aftercare. You say he seems a decent bloke. You are paying him for a service. Tell him quite clearly that you have definite concerns about your recovery, and you would be grateful if he would give you a thorough examination. Have everything quite clear in your mind (written down too if you think you'll forget something), and say that you would greatly appreciate his comments and advice.

I bet you he probably genuinely thinks that you are doing OK, from his academic point of view. When you think of the number of people he sees every day, it might not be that easy for him to realise the ones who have genuine concerns. Make a lot of eye contact and make it quite clear than your discomfort and concern are seriously affecting your everyday life. Be as persistent as you would be if you had bought a washing machine, and it turned out to be faulty.

Give it a try. Get in there. Sit down. And don't budge till you've got the answers you came for.

Glynis
 
Queenie oh I'm sorry I missed all this-- :( I hope the flu is abating now, that's an awful thing to catch. And as to the OS, well, I know you will find exactly the right approach! You've gotten mroe good advice here than I can shake a stick at. You will rebond, spring will come, and the sun will shine in your life once again!:SUNsmile:
glynis oh I am sorry about your 'pseudo-holiday...."
 
Hi there folks

Thank you so much for all your kind words and advice, I really appreciate it.

OK so here's the latest news.........
Went to see a different consultant who is a partner at the same practice(he's the surgeon that first diagnosed my Osteoarthritis 7yrs ago). He gave me a very thorough examination and although the implant is good and solid the area on the underside of my scar is still very swollen. In his opinion the problem is probably one of the following:-
Infection.......Doubtfullnuu
Muscles not knitted back together on one side, possibly due to stitches not doing their job properly.........A possibility, but I'm hoping not as they won't operate to correct the problem and I'll be left with a lump at the top of my thigh leaving me looking delectably British(pair shaped) and completely quirky(lump only on one side). British and quirky.........That's not so bad. :wink:
Fluid retention and inflamed muscles and tendons........He's putting his money on this explanation and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he wins the jackpot!
Only time will tell. Waiting for test results on blood and hopefully having an Ultra sound this week...........So watch this space.

Sorry peeps but I must sign off as Husband has gone to pick eldest daughter up from a netball game and I'm squeezing in a few lines whilst he's gone. We are half way through the concluding part of a TV detective/thriller called Broadchurch............It's really good......half the country are glued to their TV sets tonight. Had to pause at a crucial moment to pick up daughter. Really excited about watching the other half when husband returns.

I can hear them. Sorry, must fly. All those watching Broadchurch will understand.

Speak soon compadres.

Adios

Reina xxx
 
Infection doubtful is good news....we'll take that.
British and quirky.....aren't you already in those categories? So definitely not so bad.
Fluid retention and inflammation....fixable!! Time heals an awful lot. And anti-inflammatories help in the process. This all sounds promising, Queenie.

Sharon
 
I'm with Sharon :)
Netball=volleyball? Girls in ponytails and knee pads yelling unladylike things under their breath? May the Royal team win! LOL
 
So glad you're getting some answers at last, Queenie. Let's hope this is the beginning of, well, a new beginning.

ZF: Nicely brought up English gals do not "yell unladylike things under their breath", doncha know? (They just yell them right out loud and have done with it.)

Broadchurch: What a cop out. I knew it was him from the start. Reason: he was the least likely suspect. So many loose ends... Why did Pauline Quirke take the skateboard? Why did they spin it out over 8 episodes? Why does David Tennant always play... David Tennant?

They are talking about a new series. No, ta very much.

Keep on keepin' on, Queenie.
 
Dearest Queenie, you sound like a lovely warm and vibrant women who is just a little stuck in the slop of recovery, you are an inspiration to me and I wish you could feel my lopsided smile and bear hug ! I hope the sun will catch you smiling tomorrow :console2:
 
Hi Queenie, I am so so sorry I have not been on the forum to chat with you lovely lady, I have been inundated with house guests one after the other and am barely caught up with my work after the last month of entertaining, cooking. cleaning omg!!!, after each guest left I was icing for two days!!, although not just to whinge, it was of course on a mental level wonderful and got my mind off being self obsessed for a bit :)
I have just read your last few posts, when do you get your test results?, is it possible that time will sort this inflammation, tenderness?, I am going to have special prayers for you lovely lady and I reckon you are going to get some very good news, please keep us updated and know that you have so much support and good wishes here it is inevitable you will have a wonderful outcome xxxxx :flwrysmile:
 
Good news Queenie,
that infection is doubtful. The other two explanations are logical. I don't know about anyone else but prior to surgery I really didn't give much thought to the healing process except walking again without pain. The surgical healing and the fact that they have to go down to your actual skeletal frame to achieve the desired results (duh, lol)
I personally was focusing on just getting through the surgery. Skin, nerves, muscle, tissue
,etc. , that's quite a lot of your body to heal in addition to the implant itself. In retrospect I guess it is good we don't think about all of it , it's frightening enough as it is. It is for these reasons this site is so very helpful.
 
Hi queenie - I guess a list of possible answers is better than no answers. All of those sound like something that is deal-able-with, and will hopefully/probably settle with time (fingers, if not legs, crossed for you...)

Can you be British and not quirky?

I didn't do Broadchurch. This is my second full week back at work and I'm afraid that by about 6pm my brain has no capacity for concentration - although I have managed the wonderful series on BBC2 on Tuesday nights about the NHS - very watchable stuff.
 
'Ello 'ello 'ello..........What's going on 'ere then? ............Sorry, you'll only get that if you were living in the UK back in the 60's!

Queenie here. Ive got a spare 5mins to report what's been going on in my life over the last month. Now then where shall I start?...........

Well I guess my life has pretty much gone back to 'normal' mode. I still can't walk longer than 30-40mins without feeling extreme muscle fatigue and my incision is still very tender and swollen(more about that later), but apart from that all is good in the hood. I'm in a much better place emotionally and life is pretty good at the moment. I've come to accept that I'm a slow healer. I'm planning on checking into BS in a years time when I'm expecting to be feeling super bloomin' duper. A year, that's how long I'm giving myself. A much more realistic goal methinks. Not the ridiculous 6wks that most people give themselves(me included).

I've had a blood test which came back normal and I had an ultra sound scan where they couldn't find anything to worry about. All good. Although I have been told that I'll probably have to live with the swelling, so sarongs on the beach for me......wouldn't want to be scaring all the young kiddies! I can live with that. Never had the best legs in the world in the first place.
Been taking Diclofenac for inflammation. This seems to have helped a little. Then I went to see a smashing new physio on Thurs and she's sorted me with some exercises. Gently gently catchy monkey. So watch this space in a years time and I'll be positively BIONIC! :dancy:

I went to a very close friends wedding last weekend and danced my socks off all night. My husband was spinning the tunes and he played such a fab set that I just couldn't sit down.
The wedding was held in a glade in Cornwall and the weather was glorious. The kids swam in the lake all day. It was the most beautiful wedding I've ever been to.

I exhausted myself yesterday getting all the housework done and all the other bits and pieces mums have to sort out so that I could sit in the sun with my fabulous book today.........The knife of never letting go by Patrick Ness....Anyone read it? It's brilliant.
Needless to say its now 2.30 and I've only just sat down!

So if you don't mind lovely people I'm going to sign off so that I can make the most of that very rare thing we call sunshine.

Happy thoughts and wishes to you all.

Keep on keepin' on you fabulous warriors.

Lotsa lurve Queenie xxxxx
 
Ps Forgot to mention...........I haven't forgotten you Hippo if you're reading this. Will be emailing soon. Xxxxxxx
 
[Bonesmart.org] 26 days and I need a hug.
Great update, Queenie. Even with the glitches, being able to be back into your life is a better place that where you were. And those things will resolve over TIME. As you know, I always say that the secret to recovery is having the PATIENCE to give your body the TIME to heal at its own pace. YOU WILL GET TO THE END OF THE LONG RECOVERY ROAD!!! And we'll all be waiting, no matter how long it takes, to celebrate with you.

Take care and keep us updated. We care. [Bonesmart.org] 26 days and I need a hug. HUGS
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom