TKR 21 weeks and struggling

It’s 2am, I just hooked up ice machine and waiting for pain pill to kick in. I have been taking one around 11pm so I could rest, but, dozed. Now, pain pretty bad.
I’m grateful for this forum. I have reread posts and several helpful articles. I don’t want to say anything on social media. Nobody that hasn’t experienced joint replacement will get “it”. At 6 weeks, I think I’m understanding that recovery is not the same for everyone (I had a rep say to me “oh great, 6 weeks, should be feeling pretty good by now!”)…oh brotherThank you
 
Hello. I’m 5 weeks post op (TKR right knee) and feeling so frustrated and depressed...I keep thinking (probably severe lack of sleep), that I wish I hadn’t done the surgery.
I'm at week 10 and feeling a lot better but at week 5, yeah, I was wishing I hadn't done the surgery. I was totally unprepared for how painful and disabling a total knee replacement is. Now I'm in the "what was the point when I'm just right back where I started" stage. Not much pain and I sleep well, but my knee is so stiff that it throws my gait off and I really have to concentrate to walk right. It's very helpful to come to the forum and vent, and be reminded that this is a long recovery. In the early stages it's real easy to get discouraged, and you're in a very early stage. It does get better!
 
Thank you so much. At almost 64, I practice trying not to live in fear. The “what if’s” (future tripping!), but, really had no idea how insecure I’d be feeling about just getting back to where I was before TKR. But, I’m not alone. Mentally, this is so crucial right now.
Appreciate your thoughts!☺️
 
Insecure is a very good word for early stages of this recovery. Most of us are so unprepared for this recovery, they really should tell us more what to expect. (The excuse that “if they did tell us we wouldn’t have the surgery“ well, that’s our decision.
 
I think this is where I write…
PT was just a little awkward. I’ve known my pt for over 10 years. He’s intellectual and very kind. BUT..it’s like he “heard” me when I said no leg press, no squats, etc. Gentle quad work, a nice walk around the block together.
Yet, upon returning, got on the bike, did my partial rocking back and forth..he then measured ROM. Last week..a painful, yet, exuberant 105. Today? 92. After being on this lovely forum, I thought, who cares. I’m, overall, able to walk.
He suggested that by next week, we may need to “slowly” push again.
Oh brother.
TBC
 
Good morning! I was checking on your recovery. You are a few weeks ahead of me, and wondering about pain levels, state of mind, etc, if you don't mind sharing?
 
Last week..a painful, yet, exuberant 105. Today? 92. After being on this lovely forum, I thought, who cares. I’m, overall, able to walk.
He suggested that by next week, we may need to “slowly” push again.
Oh brother.
TBC
And if it was his knee, he could push it all he wants. It's your knee. You're the one who has to live with the pain if he does something your knee does not like. You're not even at two months, take it easy and let your knee be in charge.
 
Last week..a painful, yet, exuberant 105. Today? 92
Painful wasn't really your true bend, it was a forced bend. Not good. Throughout this recovery, your ROM will fluctuate up and down. This is completely normal. We all had that rollercoaster ROM. Some days you are more swollen than others and some days you are sorer. All this is normal in this recovery.
 
Hello. I’m 5 weeks post op (TKR right knee) and feeling so frustrated and depressed. I found this forum and it has been helpful. I keep thinking (probably severe lack of sleep), that I wish I hadn’t done the surgery. Seems like there are so many success stories.
Thank you for being here☺️
I felt the same as you. For the last week I have been seeing positive results and I’m at almost 6 weeks out
 
DancingQueen - You mentioned 'rest!' In terms of your cancers (and big kudos to you!), but I think that's the only mention of that word in your posts. REST is so important in helping your body to heal. Baby yourself - lay down, nap, take a rest…whatever…as often as you can.

(our first dog was named Bruno )
 
Good morning! I was checking on your recovery. You are a few weeks ahead of me, and wondering about pain levels, state of mind, etc, if you don't mind sharing?
Well, it’s been a rollercoaster. I think part of it is I can’t get any handle on my pain. It is constant (can’t take anti-inflammatories, Tylenol doesn’t do much).
Rest, elevate and increased icing. Slowing on aggressive pt. I’m, normally, pretty optimistic and enjoy life. Grateful. But, after another spotty sleep cycle and a screaming knee, I’m not too sure about anything. I do love when I can get up and hug husband and dog♥️
I do know that, without the support and seeing what others are experiencing, I don’t know what I’d do.
I like to think I’ll be the one, in my knee future, to help others!!
It’s just got to get better. Faith☺️
 
@Dancingqueen I feel your pain literally. My LTKR was Monday 9/12. I’m still in pain even though I’m taking oxy around the clock. Trying to widen space between doses today from every 4 hours to six. My leg is stiff and swollen. It is so hard for me to get in and out of bed and chairs. I have attached a yoga belt to my foot and use it to help lift my leg. I feel like I’m 100 years old. I went to PT yesterday and it set me back. I thought she had been gentle but it was too much. Here’s hoping everyone’s pain is less tmo than it is today.
 
@Dancingqueen one's perspective can definitely be influenced by the amount of sleep you're getting! I had a bad night last night due to GI issues brought on by the pain meds, and today is not as bright and shiny because of it. I am sorry to hear about your pain. Have you tried taking something right before bed? PT was rough this morning...not because they pushed too much, just low energy! Walking in was tough! Fortunate that the therapist recognized today was a different vibe than the others and had an easy day. I think I am finally coming to terms with the fact I will not wake up tomorrow and be better!
Although each day is better than the prior 2!
@Bridgy...sounds like you're not ready to change your pain med schedule yet! Good luck and wish you both a better day today!
 
Thank you
Great reminder that sleep (or lack of) is emotionally draining.
 
Tylenol doesn’t do much
I always thought the same thing -- that Tylenol didn't work for me -- until someone explained the correct protocol for taking it.

The key to pain control with Tylenol is taking the correct dosage and keeping up with it on schedule: 1,000 mg (2 extra-strength tablets) every six hours (4 times a day) is the effective regimen. (Just be sure none of your other medications contain acetaminophen. It's important not to exceed 4000 mgs/day.)

It may take several days for you to find relief. Once you do, it's important not to skip a dose if you start to feel better. You need to maintain a constant level of the drug in your system for it work. I set an alarm to be sure I was dosing every 6 hours (even in the middle of the night).

It worked well enough for me that I will never dismiss Tylenol again!

​

 
Tylenol doesn’t do much
I always thought the same thing -- that Tylenol didn't work for me -- until someone explained the correct protocol for taking it.

The key to pain control with Tylenol is taking the correct dosage and keeping up with it on schedule: 1,000 mg (2 extra-strength tablets) every six hours (4 times a day) is the effective regimen. (Just be sure none of your other medications contain acetaminophen. It's important not to exceed 4000 mgs/day.)

It may take several days for you to find relief. Once you do, it's important not to skip a dose if you start to feel better. You need to maintain a constant level of the drug in your system for it work. I set an alarm to be sure I was dosing every 6 hours (even in the middle of the night).

It worked well enough for me that I will never dismiss Tylenol again!

​

My concern is taking high dosage for 5, 6 weeks and beyond.
But, without good options, I’m revisiting the med schedule..taking a couple in a day makes little sense. ☺️
 
My concern is taking high dosage for 5, 6 weeks and beyond.
I understand; I was also concerned about that. But you likely won't need it at full dosage for that long. Once you have the pain under control for a few weeks, you can also start to wean off it (3x a day rather than 4) and see if a lower dosage works for you.

The pain you are experiencing now isn't forever, but it's hard to heal well when you are in constant pain. :console2:
 
@Bridgy you‘re only four days post op. Everything you’re experiencing is new and is going to take time to get better.

Marie
 
Another night/day in pain. Trying regular Tylenol regimen, icing regularly and no pt since Thursday (which was very light).
7 weeks. Trying not to lose faith in process, yet, I’m just feeling really blue today.
Sorry..my “warrior” has flown my coup.
Why do they say “most” people are getting back to normal activities when I can piece together 3 hours of sleep without narcotics (a single Oxycodone..I’m down to 10 before I’m cut off).
Sorry. Not sure where else to talk
 
Don't forget that this is a year-long healing and you are only a little over 1/6 of the way healed. For such a short time out, you are doing well and nothing out of the normal complaints. Look back and see how far you have come from 7 weeks ago. What a huge difference!
 
Back
Top Bottom