TKR 21 weeks and struggling

Yesterday a cool thing happened. was looking in my area for a massage person just to talk to. Everyone that looked like they may have some knowledge around TKR were booked for weeks.
I called a woman and though she wasn’t open yet, picked up her phone. Long story short, we talked for 30 minutes about ourselves, what I needed and, bam! She gets me in 3 hours later.
I’ve had terrible experiences with massage in the past ( someone not listening to my concerns, leaving an area too “hot” for a week).
She was so attentive, let me move my leg throughout our session, always checking to see if I was ok). She was transparent about not being able to relieve pain right away, but, helping me “connect” with my whole body, breathe and relax. Since TKR, I’ve struggled to relax any muscles and I’m pretty sure this is why my calf and foot scream all night.
She checked with me today to report anything hurting from massage.
I feel, emotionally, like I was given a gift yesterday. Not sure how much I can go ($), but, scheduled for next week.
The pool and massage feel so loving to myself❤️
Happy weekend all.
 
Isn’t it amazing what the right person can do for us. (And likewise what the wrong person can do to us) I have also had massages in the past that took me 2 days to recover from. (Seriously??) Finally a few years ago I tried again, and for the first time I really understood what others meant about feeling so relaxed.
 
I, also, appreciated how she described what she was about to do and why. We started with massage on non-surgical leg to get a sense of how sensitive I am to touch, pressure, etc. When we moved to TKR, my fears were unfounded and it’s the first time a professional was gentle, not forcing bending, etc.
☺️
 
it’s the first time a professional was gentle, not forcing bending, etc.
Same thing with the good massage I had. And I was several years post op. Late in my first year of recovery my leg was so tight and I wondered about a massage, but thanks to my medical team, I couldn't bear to let anyone touch it.
 
Dancingqueen, I am so happy for you!! What a gift. I know my massage therapist has been a huge blessing to me and made such a difference. Isn’t it wonderful to have someone touch and move your leg that doesn’t hurt you (I almost wanted to cry the first time, it was such a relief) and sees you as a whole person and body, not just those metal and plastic parts inside your knee? I’m so glad you found her!
 
I feel, emotionally, like I was given a gift yesterday.

@Dancingqueen, this does sound like a gift from God! What a wonderful, uplifting post. It just goes to show you that the right person can make all the difference in our recovery.
 
I called a woman and though she wasn’t open yet, picked up her phone. Long story short, we talked for 30 minutes about ourselves, what I needed and, bam! She gets me in 3 hours later.
Sounds like divine intervention to me in so many ways!
You found her, she took the call, she saw you only hours later and treated you with genuine concern and tender loving care. Such a blessing.
Happy Sunday! I hope you have a great week. :)
 
I wish I could afford massage. I've never had one. I do have a massage cushion and that's pretty good. I use it on my leg and my back. Another thing that I have found enormously helpful is a breathing straw. If you go to Amazon and put in "breathing straw necklace" there are lots of options, both in wood and in metal. DO NOT get the Komuso! There's nothing wrong with it, it's just ridiculously expensive. They're all the same, a little tube that you can wear around your neck and breathe through to slow your breathing down when you feel anxious. Very calming.
 
Thank you! Happy Sunday to you, as well. We “fall back” an hour. If not for my cell phone’s clock, I’d still think it was an hour later
 
Hello. I’m 5 weeks post op (TKR right knee) and feeling so frustrated and depressed. I found this forum and it has been helpful. I keep thinking (probably severe lack of sleep), that I wish I hadn’t done the surgery. Seems like there are so many success stories.
Thank you for being here☺️
Hi! I'm 16 weeks out and only sleep sporadically and I may have some tips that may help: 1) if you're on your cell alone, look to see if there's a setting to change the screen light (e.g., Read Comfortably or Night Mode)
2) try not to eat past 6 pm and nothing sweet or caffeinnated for sure.
3) get an old book like Moby Dick and read a chapter 1 hour before bedtime.
After your reading, set your phone to play soft, relaxing music or sounds and don't pickup your cellphone again
4) close your eyes, meditate on your "Happy Place" as you listen, you will drift off to sleep
5) practice this or a modified version, but just like everything else, I needed to retrain my brain to let go of anxiety and fear! Good luck!
 
Hello,
I’m not sure if anyone has dealt with vaccinations and TKRs. I’m about 4 months post op, still struggling a bit with pain, but, stopped pt 2 weeks ago and stick to more gentle exercises in a warm pool.
I had my 2 doses and booster for Covid in 2021. I am signed up for additional booster and can’t really find any info. My surgeon said he didn’t know how it could affect me, knee, etc. A month ago he said to hold off.

I, also, get a flu shot every year. I am 5 years post lung cancer, so any disease that affects breathing is not cool. I understand we avoid medical advise, just more curious if vaccinations affected anybody.
Thank you☺️
 
I had my flu vaccination the day I had my followup visit to check the incision post RTHR (10 days list op). There is really no reason to hesitate getting any vaccination you need.
 
Hi-8 weeks out from RTKR and had both flu and COVID vaccinations last week. Minimal headache and sore arm for a day.
 
Same here. Flu and Covid vaccines did not affect my knee at all. Just the usual sore shoulder and feeling poorly for a day.
 
Thank you! I decided, with the advice of my oncologist (check up this morning with her) to get my flu shot. She administered and so far so good. I think I’ll get Covid booster next week.
Staying healthy is important while slow progress of TKR❤️
 
Hi Dancingqueen:
How are you doing now? I had my left knee TKR done in April and honestly, I felt like it wasn't quite that bad so I scheduled my right knee for 9/15 and boy was this one a totally different experience! With my left knee, I was off of the Tramadol in 2 weeks with very little pain - all the pain was from the unoperated knee at that point. I was off the walker and on the cane at 3 weeks. The right knee TKR was very painful post op with a lot of thigh pain and difficulty in switching from straight to bent. I was on the Tramadol until just three days ago (so almost 8 weeks) and I used my walker for almost 6 full weeks. So I had two very different experiences but I am feeling better every day and I hope you feel the same! I have a great physical therapist so I think that is helping me build my strength and confidence too.
 
I've had 2 Covid boosters and the flu shot this year. My OS sanctioned the vaccinations. With the 1st booster, I was super tired and even had some increased pain in my knee (which could be 100% unrelated, who knows). With the 2nd booster, which I got in one arm and the flu shot in the other, there was no knee pain but I had just passed my 1 year mark.
 
I've had 2 Covid boosters and the flu shot this year. My OS sanctioned the vaccinations. With the 1st booster, I was super tired and even had some increased pain in my knee (which could be 100% unrelated, who knows). With the 2nd booster, which I got in one arm and the flu shot in the other, there was no knee pain but I had just passed my 1 year mark.
Thank you..I think I panic a bit with anything that will add to knee, leg pain. But, I’ve known too many older folks that still struggle after having the virus, so, I’m going to stay updated.
 
Hi Dancingqueen:
How are you doing now? I had my left knee TKR done in April and honestly, I felt like it wasn't quite that bad so I scheduled my right knee for 9/15 and boy was this one a totally different experience! With my left knee, I was off of the Tramadol in 2 weeks with very little pain - all the pain was from the unoperated knee at that point. I was off the walker and on the cane at 3 weeks. The right knee TKR was very painful post op with a lot of thigh pain and difficulty in switching from straight to bent. I was on the Tramadol until just three days ago (so almost 8 weeks) and I used my walker for almost 6 full weeks. So I had two very different experiences but I am feeling better every day and I hope you feel the same! I have a great physical therapist so I think that is helping me build my strength and confidence too.
I think this is such a longer, more complicated recovery than I thought it would be. I’m mostly contending with pain down calf and foot (I’m very used to knee discomfort). But, moving in a warm pool each day sure helps.
I stopped the more aggressive PT about 2 weeks ago (and insurance ran out). I do all my exercises (ROM, quad work, other movements), but, I do them in water.
I’m glad you have a PT you like to work with. So important!
Have a peaceful day✨
 
Hi Dancingqueen, I just wanted to let you know that I got my Covid booster yesterday afternoon. I was a little worried, like you, that it might set off inflammation in my knee. Inflammation and swelling have been a challenge for me through this whole recovery. I’m happy to report that all is well. I felt fine last night, then woke up this morning feeling kind of icky. Tired, achy, foggy head. My knee hurt a bit more than it has been, but so did the rest of my body! I took it easy the first part of the day: lots of resting, elevating, icing my knee, and a nice warm heating pad on my hips and quads. Lots of tea. By this afternoon I was feeling much improved. I went for a little walk of about 1/3 mile and have been puttering around the house. Knee is feeling fine!
 
Back
Top Bottom