Guest viewing is limited

TKR 21 weeks and struggling

Hello all! Just checking in. I finished my first week back at work (full time retail) and I think I was prepared. I packed healthy lunches, brought my ice blanket, heating pad (my hamstring enjoys) and actually mixed sitting, standing and moving pretty well.
If you would have asked me 6 or 8 weeks ago about what returning to work would look/feel like, I’d break down crying. I’d talk about my fears, my pain here on this forum and, gratefully, felt heard:)

I had my TKR on 8/2. I still have discomfort and am challenged at many things (walking down a hill by my house-not ready), but, I am able to use my elliptical, navigate stairs and I see progress. I’m really understanding that this process of recovery takes time.
Funny, I seem to attract people that are about ready for their own TKRs and I find that I’m not as negative, but, just able to talk about my own experience. I did not have realistic expectations prior to surgery. I couldn’t take anti-inflammatories and PT’s early and grueling exercises were too much (thanks to those that recommended standing up and speaking up!).

In hindsight, I may have waited, but, bone on bone for a decade was never going to get better.

I do suggest bonesmart.org for helpful guidance and an amazing, supportive community!

Wishing everyone a healthy and peaceful 2023!
 
Last edited:
@Dancingqueen Thanks for checking in! Sounds like you are doing very well.

We are very glad this site was helpful during your recovery!
 
Happy New Year @Dancingqueen ! I was wondering how you were doing! It sounds like things are going well! Congratulations on getting back to work. That’s got to feel good! And sounds like you were well prepared and did the right things to ease yourself back in.

I think you and I have been on pretty parallel tracks as far as our recovery goes. I’m feeling hopeful these days! In some ways I am glad I didn’t know how hard this was going to be. I might have had a little break down if I had realized what I was about to go through. But we did it and we are doing it and we are on our way!

Thanks so much for sharing your progress Dancingqueen (:
 
So great to hear your feedback!
One more goal achieved just now. We live in a very hilly area and, so far, only walk on flat road, about 8 blks max. This has not allowed me to even think about walking our beautiful dog, Bruno, who is a 78 lb terrier/boxer mix.
(Before surgery, I struggled with hills, too).

This morning, in the beautiful NW pouring rain, I went with husband and pup. Down one hill, up big hill and 1.2 mile loop. Gotta admit that the small, steep path made me cringe, but, I took it super slow. Stopped twice. Made it home!
Now, ice, elevation and so proud of myself☺️.

Baby steps. And, self talk that nothing is impossible. Happy Sunday and Go Seahawks !!
 
This morning, in the beautiful NW pouring rain, I went with husband and pup. Down one hill, up big hill and 1.2 mile loop. Gotta admit that the small, steep path made me cringe, but, I took it super slow. Stopped twice. Made it home!
Now, ice, elevation and so proud of myself☺️
That’s so wonderful! I can hear the elation in your words! So happy for you :) It’s these moments that remind us we made the right choice, right? You should be proud!

I’m starting to think it’s time to try some little hills. I’ve been walking in my nice flat neighborhood and haven’t really attempted any hills yet. But you have inspired me! Not ready to walk my 90lb big boy yet but he’s gonna be so happy when the time comes :dogwalk:

Stay dry Dancingqueen! I’ll be taking my umbrella today for sure.
 
It’s been 10 months since my TKR and felt like I wanted to check in. I never thought I’d be able to say that there is less pain! My ability to go up AND down stairs has improved and I notice walking UP a hill finally feels better than pre-surgery days. Downhill is still a little tough, but, I know it’s about strengthening.
Unfortunately, in February, I had a second breast cancer diagnosis. But, I’m approaching chemo, bald head and life like I have with the other challenges, including my first six months of knee issues. This site allowed me to not feel so alone in the struggle. For that I’m grateful.
I’m wishing everyone good health, both physical and mental.
One day at a time!
 
@Dancingqueen,
You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as it's best if members in recovery only have one thread. We find it much easier for everyone.
This is because:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier for others to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. We won't miss your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.


:prayer:for a successful cancer treatment.

Going down hills is rough for most of us. I still find myself extra cautious when doing so. At least with steps there are usually rails. Not so when doing down hills.
 
@Dancingqueen , it’s so great to hear from you! I have to admit though, when I read about your diagnosis I said a very bad word. I’m so sorry you have to go through that just when your knee is almost healed! You have such a positive and resilient attitude about it all. You are amazing! I hope you get the best treatment and come through with flying colors. :prayer:

As for the knee, I know what you mean about downhill being harder. I tried to do a little hike up a hill today and had to turn around pretty quickly. Not because it was too much going uphill, but it was so steep it was very tricky having to go back down. Yikes! But it sounds like your knee is doing great! You were just a few weeks ahead of me, so it’s nice to see how your recovery is going. Hugs!
 
Back
Top Bottom