Guest viewing is limited

TKR 21 weeks and struggling

Wondering if anyone has experienced ongoing pain down outside of calf (including behind knee) and into top of foot? My surgeon said it’s about my left “adjusting” to new knee. My gait is different. I continue with gentle stretching, walking in a pool and, although not in pt, daily quad, hamstring stretching, strengthening.
I ice after any workout.
I feel like “Groundhog Day”, wake up with same pain and, at 4 months, guess I had hopes for LESS pain than prior to surgery.

Ahhh..patience ☺️
 
Hi Dancingqueen! I’m so sorry you are having this aggravating calf and foot pain! This recovery really does a number on our bodies, doesn’t it? All these changes and new patterns and movements and compensations. I’ve had a few weird pains crop up every so often…foot, shin, hip, etc.

The most recent was a tightness in my shin that I think was caused by my walking differently but then in turn caused me to have to walk differently. Like a vicious cycle. Yesterday morning I went to see my massage therapist and she was worked on the front of my leg. As she was working her way down my shin bone, I felt these little pop pop pops, like tiny bubble wrap! She worked on the area for a few minutes and all of a sudden I felt a big release or loosening and my shin bone shifted! She said, ‘ah, there it goes!’

Apparently my fascia was sticking all along the front of my shin and preventing everything in there from moving freely. She said it happens a lot in all sorts of places in your body as it tries to deal with all the challenges in recovery. I stood up and my stride felt more normal than it has since the surgery. Then I went for a nice long walk and wasn’t as slow either!

This isn’t the first area she’s freed up for me. I thank my lucky stars for her every day! I posted on my thread a list she pointed me to of medical massage therapists if you are interested. It might be a big help for your calf and foot pain (and of course your knee!) (:
Sending you happy sunny autumn vibes
 
Hi, just read your response (I’ve not been looking at my phone all week!). I did have a massage scheduled but she notified me that she tested positive for Covid. I’m hoping she’ll be ok.
I’m really trying to just be patient, do gentle exercises every day and hope pain will go away some day.
Can’t wrap my head around not even getting back to where I was before this surgery.
Thank you for your insights.
Wishing you a peaceful Thanksgiving ☺️
 
Happy Thanksgiving, @Dancingqueen! I’m taking a break to ice in between cooking. Like you, I’m having a relatively slow recovery and have had to try to adjust my expectations and thinking. Your words stood out to me…patient, gentle, hope. Yes. I’m working on those things and trying to just be in the moment and not think ahead too far. We’ll get there!! Feeling gratitude for you and all my BoneSmart friends today! Thank you for your kindness, support, and honesty.
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary, Dancingqueen!
Hopefully you were able to get the massage rescheduled and if so, it brought you some well deserved relief.
I wish you comfort if you're still struggling and hopefully each new month is better than the last.
I hope you have a nice weekend. :)
@Dancingqueen
 
@Dancingqueen re: pain down outside calf, foot etc…. YES! I actually bought a rapid release (massage) gun to release this. The vibration makes my knee feel funky so I only use it briefly and stick to the belly of the muscle- but I am 8 months and continually have this pain. Massage (manual and gun) help. I have also completely changed my gait after 8 years limping AND went through a few different pairs of sneakers as my gait changed. Shoes make a HUGE difference. I can only wear a couple of pairs that I owned before surgery. Definitely pay attention to the shows you wear. I have an arch in my surgical leg foot again! I have had a “flat foot” for 20years!!! Lots of the foot, ankle calf hamstring hip pain is adjusting to proper alignment- shoes made a huge difference. Good luck!
 
Today I realized I’m at 19 weeks post TKR. What does this mean? I’m doing more than 6, 8 even 12 weeks ago (upstairs, walk pretty well without cane, sleeping unassisted of meds). Grateful for progress.
But, I lay here on my couch, in pain. All the time. Hamstring, tibia, foot. Different levels throughout the day. Wake up with it, go to pool, activity, no activity.
Im praying that I’m not part of “chronic pain” group. I’m usually very “glass half full” and, as I read recovery posts, I know there is a wide spectrum.
I’m going back to work January 3rd and, since “part time” is not an option (small retail store), I’m pretty uncertain about all of it.
Time will tell.
Sending thanks for all of you on this feed!!!!
✨☺️
 
I hear you, I had a very tough first year. I’ve told many members I had a lot of improvement in my second year. On the one hand, that can sound very discouraging, to think good improvement could be that far away. But on the other hand, my recovery did eventually get better.

Four months is 1/3 healed, in this average one year long recovery. I hope you see the improvement I did, and sooner. :console2:
 
Hi Dancingqueen, I’m so glad you are making progress and are able to do more! But I’m sorry you’re still having pain. That is frustrating. Are you still taking any OTC medications? I am still taking Tylenol and Ibuprofen daily. I have been able to reduce the amount a bit, but if I try to stop taking them, I pay the price. I hate relying on drugs (my liver!) but I think the benefits outweigh the risks right now if it gets me over the hump. It’s only temporary.
 
Thank you for the always gentle reminder that a year can be a reasonable thing...or, maybe longer.
Unfortunately, I have allergies to anything anti-inflammatory related. I did do protocol for Tylenol, but, stopped because never found any relief. I still have some Oxycodone, which I stopped using in September (it helps, but, leaves me groggy..). So, I ice knee and use heat on muscle area, particularly after exercise. Sitting at a chair is so uncomfortable after 10 minutes. Driving in traffic not so fun.

I have really put meditation aside during this entire TKR adventure. It may be time to PRACTICE calming my head about it all.
I know there are so many people with such worse ailments. I've shared about having gone through lung and breast cancer recoveries over the last 5 years. If I can get through that, I feel like this knee thing shouldn't be so hard!
Funny note..amazing how many "over 60" crowd there are in the pool that I exercise at..and how many knees and hips have been replaced.
It does make for good conversation!!!:loll:
 
Dancingqueen, I can certainly sympathize with reacting to certain medications. It sounds like you are being very conscientious and doing your very best. I hope your pain improves more and more as time goes by. I wish I could join you at your pool! Still haven’t found a good spot here. Your idea to meditate more sounds like a very, very good plan. This surgery and recovery is soooo tough. Pulling for you Dancingqueen!
 
Just read your reply. I am so grateful for such encouraging words. Blessed every day!!
 
When you were taking Tylenol, did you follow BoneSmart's recommendation of taking 1000mg every 6 hours on a schedule? Providing you aren't taking any other medications with acetaminophen in them and you don't have any liver issues, you can take the maximum dose of 4000mg per day to see if that works. Taking the maximum dosage of 1000mg each time on a regular schedule means the medication stays in your system and you're not playing catch up with pain. That might be worth a try for a week to see how you do.
 
When you were taking Tylenol, did you follow BoneSmart's recommendation of taking 1000mg every 6 hours on a schedule? Providing you aren't taking any other medications with acetaminophen in them and you don't have any liver issues, you can take the maximum dose of 4000mg per day to see if that works. Taking the maximum dosage of 1000mg each time on a regular schedule means the medication stays in your system and you're not playing catch up with pain. That might be worth a try for a week to see how you do.
Thank you. I did for about the first 2 months. I tapered, because I didn’t feel like it helped. Oxycodone helped in the beginning (mostly so I could get some sleep), but, I stopped taking end of September. I was just taking one around 11pm.
I just got off ice machine and use heating pad on hamstring and side of calf at the same time. I’m not sure if it’s helping but it’s such a ritual after a long day, I just do it. I do ice after any exercise.
☺️
 
That sounds good, then. Tylenol doesn't work in all cases and you may just be one of those people. You might consider giving it another try, though, as sometimes our bodies react differently depending on where we are in recovery.
 
Hello all. I’m not sure how to update my title, since I am now 21 weeks post op for TKR. I can’t really explain how grateful I am for this site.
As life goes on, I have my doubts, but, I do have improvement. My ROM is around 115, leg is straight, I walk without my cane, can go upstairs and, if I have a strong rail to grasp, beginning downstairs.
I still have pain, particularly on the outside of calf, down tibia and hamstring (directly behind knee).
Since recent check up shows no problem with joint replacement, I think I’ve accepted that I’ve been walking so differently for over 15 years to avoid bone on bone pain (husband confirms my gait is very different now).
I think my muscles and ligaments are just confused, attempting to accommodate a straight knee and it’s going to take time, gentle consistent stretching, walking and, most of all, patience. The most difficult!
I am returning to work (retail, full time) on January 3rd. Nervous? Yes.
But, if I don’t do self care (ice, elevate whenever I can AND get to the pool at least a couple of times a week), I will not be good for anything or anyone.
Wishing you all a peaceful and hopeful holiday season. Stay safe (we just had a week of black ice..I stayed indoors).
And, thank you so much for the support and sharing. Priceless:thankyou:
 
@Dancingqueen I changed your thread title for you. I know it seems like a long time. But at 21 weeks there is still lots of healing going on. And yes, muscles and tendons that didn't need to work previously are just trying to adjust.

You are so right - time and lots of patience needed.

Are you going to be on your feet all day when you return to work? Can you sit to ice and elevate at all during the day? Please do take things slow and steady. :new-year-toast-smiley-emoticon:
 
For being at 21 weeks, it sounds like you are doing really well. You might find that a heating pan will help those sore soft tissues. Of course, you can always try icing again, too.

I agree with Jaycey, try to ice and elevate your knee as much as possible while at work. Those first few weeks will be a challenge until your knee gets used to it, but it will. Is it possible to start back part-time for a few weeks? That's what my OS ordered after many of my knee surgeries. I found it easier to ease back into the workday that way.
 
Thank you. Well, it’s a small group that has worked without me for 5 months when I planned 12-14 weeks. So, part time is challenging but, if I’m struggling after the first few days, I’ll get a note! (My surgeon is cool). I’m straight commission, so really need to be there.
I plan on bringing my ice blanket to wrap my knee when I can. I do love my heating pad on tibia and hamstring so I may by another set for work.
I don’t want to approach going back with fear. Instead, I’ll keep checking in, keep it real and grant this 64 year old body some Grace♥️
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom