TKR 21 June 2016 & 18 October 2016 Life Begins Again

I had surgery on 8/2..all went as expected, Surgery went well although there was far more damage than anticipated. I was released the morning of 8/4 as pt and vitals were all great. I am still trying to get the meds correct and icing, but otherwise doing great !
 
Great progress TML. I bet that was one of the best beers you ever drank. You earned it!
 
What a good goal you've met. Driving and a beer in the same day, but not at the same time!
 
  • Funny
Reactions: TML
A nice treat...a beer now that you're off pain meds. Good for you. Was that your first time driving?

Also, awesome about your stair walking. Another step( no pun intended) towards recovery.
 
  • Funny
Reactions: TML
7-weeks post-op

At PT this afternoon, I measured 135/2. We could not believe it! Evidently 140 flexion is the maximum. Therapist tells me each week that I'm advanced in my recovery and I feel very blessed. He pushed me hard today but I was ready for it. Also, my scar was feeling and looking like it was 'stuck' so he massaged quite vigorously and it released quite a bit. It was very uncomfortable but not painful. It's much better. He also looked at the scar, which I thought was becoming keloid. He doesn't think it is and thinks it will lower into the skin in time. I have new exercises and will continue to work on extension. I continue to desensitize the scar and entire knee at least twice a day, which is helping. It doesn't feel normal yet, but the sheet or clothing can touch it now. He reminded me that complete recovery takes at least one year. It will not feel normal until that time. Oh, patience!

I'm still off pain meds but taking Aleve twice a day. Late afternoon into evening, my knee starts to hurt and gets very warm - sometimes really hot - so I ice and elevate until bedtime. The only way I've been able to get 6-7 hours of sleep is to take Ambien and go to sleep while icing my knee. Sometimes I wake up but can always get back to sleep. I still lack energy and rest most of the day. My appetite is coming back so I must be careful to eat healthily and keep smaller portions. I want to lose more weight.

I'm planning to get in the pool this week and stretch everything out. I am terrified of falling, so I'll be that little old lady creeping along with a cane!

Wishing everyone a peaceful night's sleep.
 
Wishing you the same! That was an excellent report. You are doing so well.
 
You are so good, that is great ROM...

My scar is also very sensitive to clothing, thank goodness I have a number of maxi dresses because that is what I have wearing to work, pants/Capri bother me.

I'm back on weight watchers because my appetite is back also, but I have been getting full on smaller portions.

Enjoy your swimming this weekend :swim:
 
Thanks, Amy Jo and Clara. This is quite an ordeal isn't it!
For me, smaller portions are my goal. OS wants more weight off. :scare:
 
Mine too, he was happy today because I lost weight on the TKR/NAUSEA weight loss plan, by the time I see him in 10 months I would like to be 40lbs thinner, that's doable :)
 
Hey, TML, great report. My scar is raised right now, too. My left knee was this way last year at this time, and it's nice and flat now. I wore long pants for a couple hours Saturday evening, and I noticed the scar seemed more "subdued" when I took the pants off. I anticipate you'll be pleased with it in a few more months.


Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016
LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
You're doing great! I can't wait until I can drive and have a beer! I can taste the Ninkasi right now :cheers:

I didn't have the loss of appetite that many have had. Darn it :snork:! But I'm being careful with what and how much I eat.
 
@LoveGiants you aren't too far off from driving and that beer. Don't be too hasty getting off the pain meds, though. Be glad you didn't lose your appetite - it wasn't good and my sense of taste isn't totally normal yet.

Well I'm off to ride my stationary bike. Relieves the stiffness. Then I get to do my extension exercise. There's always something . . .
:upright:
Let me know when you're ready for that beer and we'll toast to each other's health! I'm not familiar with Ninkasi - plz tell me about it. My fav these days is Negro Modela.
 
I'm still taking Tramadol and the extended release tylenol and that is working well for pain. I'd LOVE to be off it, but don't want to rush things. I'm trying to be smart and patient in this recovery so I can have more adventures with my hubby. We're already talking about getting back to Colorado!

I saw my car this morning and can't wait to get back in it and find some twisties :driver:.

I love a good, malty beer. I'm not big on the very hoppy varieties. I also like a good stout. Ninkasi is a brewery out of Eugene, Oregon and they have delicious beer! Their oatmeal stout is fantastic and their Dawn of the Red is one of my very favorite beers. I also like Sierra Nevada's offerings—their Narwhal stout is wonderful, as well as their Celebration Ale. You know Christmas is coming when Celebration Ale hits the shelves :cheers:.

BTW, I am using your idea of sitting on the edge of the bed to stretch out my leg/knee. It does seem to help. I sit on my bed to do my makeup and I just let hang and stretch. Thanks for the tip!
 
@LoveGiants thx for the info on beers. Can't wait to try Ninkasi. Wine and many mixed drinks give me migraines so I love learning about other beers. I'm actually having one right now as my hubbie has gone to pick up Chinese carry out. It's our 25th anniversary and we were supposed to be somewhere like Hawaii, but we all know that didn't happen!
So glad my idea helped you. Thanks for sharing! :yes!:
 
Happy 25th! All this talk of good beer almost makes me want to go get some from some local breweries.
 
[Bonesmart.org] 21 June  2016 & 18 October 2016 Life Begins Again

Enjoy your yummy dinner!!!:cheers:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom