TKR 21 June 2016 & 18 October 2016 Life Begins Again

I bought 2 pairs of sketches pre surgery too, one was go walk with memory foam and the other more of a slip on sneaker. Saved them for after surgery. They have been my second skin since. Both so comfortable and easy to put on with the long shoe horn which I don't need anymore. They're the only shoes that feel right. now.
 
@mamazipp what a coincidence. Mine are Skechers flex air-cooled memory foam. What a great marketing line!
:loll:
But they really are wonderful, especially walking on our hardwood flooring. It truly makes a difference in cushioning this baby knee and the other arthritic one. I hadn't really thought about this before, so thx everyone for bringing up new shoes in rehab!
 
I've never seen them in a store and have purchased all mine on Amazon, Zappos or QVC. The Vionic website and QVC have a 30 day return policy, if you don't like them you can return before 30 days even after wearing them. I was unsure and had never tried them, so I ordered and followed directions saying to break in slowly. Now when I get a new pair I don't need to break them in. My back actually hurts if I'm standing for a while without wearing Vionics.
 
Well I stopped in to see how you are doing @TML and ended up buying THREE pair of shoes thanks to you & Kari- LOL!! Thanks for the referrals- and I hope you are moving along well in your recovery-!! = )
 
@Suz so funny! What kind did you get?
 
9 weeks post-op

ROM 138/0, going to PT one day a week now, still doing strengthening and stretching exercises consistently at home. I can sit with my knee down for a couple hours now at a time - this is really pleasant. The knee continues to take shape with only slight swelling. It still gets hot to touch, mainly after standing on it or exercising. I ice and elevate frequently but not every time I sit and not every night. I'm still taking a sleeping pill at night as all the pain pills keep me awake now (this is so annoying) and it just doesn't feel good enough to sleep. I feel things inside my knee when I move it in certain positions. I asked my PT about it and he felt it too. He said it's really good and means that the joint is moving well. Freaks me out totally! I've had such bad arthritis in this knee for so long - maybe this is my new normal? I'm very bored, yet don't have much interest in doing much about it. My husband continues to be a saint and encourages me to rest and heal. I get out of the house at least once a day but fatigue easily and can't stand up or walk for very long without my non-TKR knee hurting from excruciating arthritic pain. I really have no choice - I need to have that surgery in 7 weeks. I'm trying really hard to keep my spirits up and am so thankful the forum is back online.
 
Your ROM is fantastic! I am so jealous. Even my good knee isn't that good of a bend! The way it looks now, I'll be blessed to get 120 on my surgical knee. I still get tired really quickly, so I think you're perfectly normal. It's amazing how long it takes to get rid of the energy drain.
 
Thx! I've been working really hard with PT exercises and controlling swelling. Remember that my knee went into this with no prior issues except severe osteoarthritis. I think that makes a big difference. PT said at 120 I could go down stairs normally so that is good flexion for all that you've been through on that knee. Remember we're all different.

I hate being this fatigued during the day. I started back on my vitamins, which I'll have to stop in a few weeks prior to the next knee, but I hope to gain some benefit.

My fav news is that I haven't gained any weight back and I've lost a few more pounds. I've been trying to lose weight for years, so this is monumental for me. PT thought I'd gain some back with building muscles but I've been careful to eat small portions of healthy food with the occasional ice cream drumstick!
 
Losing weight is a wonderful side effect of this surgery! I haven't weighed in a few weeks. But, I've been eating nuts and chocolate and they are full of fat! I will probably kick myself when I do weigh again.
I also went back on my vitamins and iron. Even you taking them for a short time, they're bound to help you build back up.
 
Your recovery report is awesome @TML! 8wks ago you had major surgery and your body has been working very hard to recover itself. You will continue to get stronger & stronger, I promise! I'm at the place now it feels really good to hang my replacement leg off of the recliner and kick my foot back and forth! I never dreamed I would ever be able to do this again! Hang in there- your stamina will return. It's in line waiting it's turn with your knee recovery! It's coming!! = )

[Bonesmart.org] 21 June  2016 & 18 October 2016 Life Begins Again
 
Thx @Suz. You know how impatient we all get. I purposely ran 3 errands today to see if doing a little more would help me build up stamina. It was a failed experiment as, when I came home, I had to elevate, ice, take a Norco, and then rest in bed!

Hahahahaha this knee's still the boss!
:rotfl:
 
  • Funny
Reactions: Suz
That's the best part...no arthritis pain anymore! Think of all the things we'll be able to do that we haven't done in years because of that pain!
 
I can't remember the arthritis pain. Just frustrated that I have post TKR pain. Still.
 
@mamazipp that is just not fair! What does the pain feel like? Is it less than a month ago?

Be glad you can't remember arthritis pain - I've still got it in my other knee and I won't remind you!

I just got home from a massage (she totally avoided my TKR leg). My shoulder, neck and back muscles were so tight - they were the muscles I use to push up from the recliner. Also I had her focus on my hamstring muscle on the other leg. Maybe a massage would relax your muscles and, consequently, give some relief to your knee?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@TML I found that out today also with my failed experiment of going to the store by myself for over an hour...ugh... You're so right that the Boss is still in control. Your ROM is amazing~~so happy for you! I hope & pray your other TKR will be just as or more successful for you! So thankful we have this godsend site to be able to learn, share & encourage each other! :loveshwr:
 
Nice to hear I am not the only one that goes barefoot at home. Today was my first post op appt and I wore my Croc flip flops. I am going to try Vionic that you all have mentioned. I am to start outpt PT next week and was wondering if you all wore sneakers for the first sessions or just socks?
 
@julesm86 thx for your good wishes. I don't know what I'd do without my bone smartie buddies either. At least we know what to do when we enter the ODIC!

@thecoll Now that I've found Vionic shoes, I won't be going barefoot any more. I have now bought 3 pair of them: one pair flip-flops (on sale!), a pair of sneakers, which is what I wear to PT; and a nice pair of loafers, so I'll have good support through my next TKR in October and its recovery. I've been breaking them in over a few days as they do have a different feel and I don't want to stress my knee or muscles in any way. I really love the stable support I get when wearing them. I found my local Dilliards had a large selection so I could try them on but DSW has better prices. I'm also thinking of a pair of bedroom slippers . . .
 
I also bought an orthotic insert from Vionic. I used it through the winter months in my sneakers. I do have their slippers, but the flip flops have the best heel bed. I drove to NYC February 5th wearing those flip flops!

I wore slip on sneakers to all my PT appointments.
 
That's a great idea to buy the insert. I could use that in all my other shoes where I used my custom orthotics. It's great to have supportive flip flops - I can see why you wore them driving - they feel so good. So thankful @KarriB that you suggested them!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom