TKR 21 June 2016 & 18 October 2016 Life Begins Again

Don't you wish you could use a lie detector on those that never had pain,,,sure!!!

Yesterday my son,his two little ones and my dad came over, I cooked dinner...guess what, I was in pain, I had to ice and take meds...today I'm still very uncomfortable, resting and icing, I asked hubby to pick up dinner on the way home.

It doesn't take much to set you back...

I think that even though we may have rough days, when we stop to think, just the difference between last week and today, we are seeing improvement and the ability to do things today that were not possible last week.
We are our own worst critics.

if there is someone out there that didn't experience pain, slept all night from day one, was able to go back to work after one week, we'll good for them, they are very fortunate and I'm happy for them....that's not me and I'm fine with that, my new knew is an investment in my future quality of life and I will take good care of her.
 
@uva55, if there is that person out there then there's something wrong with them!! To not feel pain after this surgery is not normal. Sure, people can have a quicker recovery, but not like some of the fairy tales we've been hearing! And no, it certainly doesn't take much to set us back. But, one day we won't be facing those set backs. So you baby that baby of yours and kiss your hubby for bringing you home dinner and just relax. Tomorrow will be better! Just remember that the knee is still the boss! I love your statement about this being an investment in our future lives. So true!
 
Let your hubby care for you. I regret that I wasn't more supportive when my husband had his knees done. I had no idea how painful this is. He was so stoic that I just went about my normal business. At least that's how I remember it. Some people feel pain more than others and he was one of the few that didn't seem to feel pain. By helping you your husband can show how much he loves you. Let him do that.
 
Thanks for your support and understanding. I did go back on Norco full-time at the lowest dose and it has helped me sleep; cope with PT and home exercises; and get through my days without struggling. My husband said not to think of it as a setback - only temporary. I had a good PT session yesterday and slept fairly well the last two nights. A friend took me to breakfast this morning and I finally felt human again, wearing makeup and @mamazipp pretty earrings!

@Barnmom22 you bring up a good point about withdrawal symptoms from the heavy meds. Just a few weeks ago I was on oxy and Flexeril as well. I was also on Dilaudid in the hospital. These must take a toll on our bodies. This is a tough recovery. Hugs to all.

@sistersinhim In my humble opinion, I believe those who brag about unrealistic healing aren't being totally honest. And, they certainly are being thoughtless. We need to put on our 'Teflon Skin' and let thoughtless comments slip away.

@Floridagal you are echoing my husband's words. Thank you.

Hugs
 
@TML it is not a setback, this is a very slow process. Things will be better:flwrysmile:

I woke up this morning bottom inch os my incision is red and tender to the touch, I couldn't figure out why then I remembered that yesterday a wore of long slacks that were not tight but tighter than what I have been wearing around the house, so I assume that the incision got irritated rubbing against the slacks, so now I have to watch what I wear:beg:
 
Yes, 'slow' is definitely the word for this recovery. Wow I hadn't thought of clothing irritating the incision - it's a good thing it's summer and we can wear shorts. There's always something!
 
I have found that even some capris, if at the incision level, will irritate it. I have to wear really loose cuffs at that area. Sometimes even the sheet will aggravate the incision. And then sometimes not. I never know when or why!
I hope yours clears up. Anything around our incisions is scary!
 
@sistersinhim it should be OK by tomorrow, I wore shorts today, put triple antibiotic cream on it. The skin is not broken, just sensitive to the touch :(
 
It sure doesn't take much, does it?
 
My scar area was very sensitive in the first maybe 6 weeks. Couldn't really tolerate clothing or sheets touching it. That has gone now thankfully.
@TML I'm glad you remembered your earrings, sorry you are having a setback.
If you need your meds again, well, then, you need them. There is no set time that says you must be off meds. If they help get you through a rough patch then they are doing their job. I still have to take an occasional oxy, but I've come to accept that I need them now and then. You are still sooo early in your recovery.

Lucky to have that hubby to help. Allow him to be there for you.
You'll feel better.
 
Yes, 'slow' is definitely the word for this recovery.
True, but a hard thing to remember! No matter how many times I remind people that complete recovery takes a full year, it is still hard to be patient.

You're still in the early days. Don't feel discouraged if you occasionally seem to take a step backward. There's nothing wrong with still needing to take pain medications, even if you don't need them all the time.
 
Well, I'm taking Norco around the clock again and feeling better. I appreciate modern medicine now more than ever!
 
Oh yes! This would have been agony without it!
 
I wore shorts today, put triple antibiotic cream on it. The skin is not broken, just sensitive to the touch :(
I think your scar was just irritated by your clothes.
It's not a good idea to use antibiotic creams "just in case". Save them for when you actually have an infection - and then get the appropriate one prescribed by your doctor. Prophylactic use of antibiotics can increase the number of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
 
TML, sistersinhim, and others bemoaning progress in this thread, you're all doing well. You're experiencing the ups and downs of this roller coaster ride. You know this. You will get through it and be much happier even just a few weeks from now. Thankfully, pity parties are normal and allowed. We've all been there.

TML, looking forward to our six week anniversary on Tuesday.


Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016
LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
6-week anniversary of new knee!

OS grinned from ear to ear at my progress and gave permission to shave my legs (finally) and get in the pool but cautioned me that it's still early and to pay attention to what the knee tells me. He cautioned me that there will probably be more ups and downs to come. He wanted me on anti inflammatory, Naproxen, and took me off aspirin. I'm cutting Norco dose in half but should stay on it longer to prevent the breakthrough pain/agitation. The pain in my hamstring tendons is lessening as I continue on my bike at home and working with outpatient PT. I now 'prance' around the house, raising each knee really high as I focus on walking upright. It looks silly but helps with balance and stiffness and gait. I've lost 15 pounds without trying, which is a pleasant surprise. I plan to keep my portions small so I can lose more weight. My appetite is slowly returning but food doesn't taste the same. My OS is a fan of being lean.

Sleep is still an issue. I'm lucky to get 4-5 hours a night. I've been able to sleep on my side for quite some time but find it hard to be comfortable in any position for very long. I rarely nap during the day and have a general feeling of fatigue. I suspect that'll change once I'm off pain meds and can do more.

I'm not driving yet due to pain meds but am getting out now with friends for short periods. I am so grateful for the handicapped parking pass. I take my cane, to alert people around me more than for balance. Everyone's in such a hurry that I've taken to exaggerating my plight when I'm out. I've had a door slam in my face as a woman rushed around me and didn't hold the door. Another man elbowed around me at the cash register and I held out my cane so he wouldn't knock me over.

OS reminded me to give my knee 3 months before we make a decision on surgery for the other knee. With total healing taking a year, he is hopeful my new knee will take over enough for the other knee that I can put off the other knee surgery for a bit. I'd like to travel this fall to Vancouver, B.C., to see my 6-month-old granddaughter. We've only seen her once this spring when the new family came to visit here in Colorado. Distance is very hard on new grandmas!
 
@TML congrats on your excellent six week report. I filed mine an hour ago. I have just started sleeping a little better thanks to an Advil pm at bedtime. I very much hope you don't need the other knee done. Your granddaughter is good motivation for staying fit and mobile. Congrats and I hope you get to hold her in your arms soon.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks for sharing your report, @TML, it's encouraging and helpful to read your progress. Congratulations on the weight loss, that's wonderful! I'm also keeping my portions small and working on losing weight, too.

I hope you can see your granddaughter, that's a wonderful age.
 
What a good report! Up to two years for healing? Wow! More reason for us to be patient. And wonderful news about the weight loss. That's another one of the benefits of this surgery! It was quite a while before my appetite came back, but now I'm eating too much and am going to have to cut back. I with you on the sleep. That's my biggest problem, too. But great that you can sleep on your side now. I'm still working on that, also! Keep up the good work and you'll be healed before you know it!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom