TKR 21 June 2016 & 18 October 2016 Life Begins Again

@TML what a wonderful progress report. When you start driving you will feel such a sense of accomplishment, I did.

I also lost 10 lbs with this surgery, my appetite is better, but sometimes I have to make myself eat, food is not as satisfying it was before, that works for me, I want to your loose more weight.

I hope you get to see your grandbaby soon!!!
 
Thanks everyone. It's so strange to lose a taste for food and to only be able to eat small portions. I know this is not the best time to lose but there's no way I can eat more. PT went well today and I picked up a few new exercises that really help with mobility. They also added some knee bends on a Pilates reformer, which felt terrific on my knee. Fortunately, I own a smaller home Pilates reformer, which I can now use in home rehab. I'm going to be so strong! But all I care about tonight is sleeping. I only slept for 4 hours last night and have been awake since 2am. Maybe I'll take Benedryl tonight. I am truly in the ups and downs of recovery, more ups now than down though! Yeah!
 
You are doing great! Be careful when that appetite returns. I gained all I lost and a little more. :(
 
@TML you're doing so well. I love your six week report. Keep up the progress.


Diane
RTKR 7/12/16
 
Yeah, I'm worried about gaining weight back, so I need to be really conscientious about portion control and empty calories. Last night I was so tired at 11:00 pm from not sleeping for days that I caved in and took an Oxycodone. It took several hours to take effect but then it worked. I slept for 6 hours and it felt so amazing! Today I got a 90-minute massage and she worked out all the soreness in my body from the last 6 weeks. I highly recommend it. I had hoped it would help me with sleep but it didn't. It's almost 2am and I'm still wide awake. I've been in the recliner, on the sofa, and am now in bed but at least my muscles aren't sore!!! I think I'll check in with PA tomorrow for suggestions on managing this insomnia before I go totally insane.
 
Things are improving for you nicely TML. HaPpy to hear this. I love the Pilates reformer. My PT has a version of it and it feels good when I use it.
You've got to get in good travel shape to visit that little granddaughter. These baby years are so precious and fly by too quickly. (And you'll be just a puddle jump away from me in Victoria).
In another month you'll have even more flexibility and stamina. The goal of seeing the baby will get you there
Best!
 
I was up until 3:00. We could have had a nice chat. Instead I watched the news. Let me know if you figure out how to control the insomnia. I thought maybe it was caused by the ice tea I had in the afternoon. I am very sensitive to caffeine. I hope you get some answers so you can keep up your good recovery.
 
Hope tonight is your night to sleep 7hrs @TML! A 90-minute massage.. WOW! I wouldn't know how to act, ha!
 
It sure sounds nice, but I couldn't lay on the table that long. I think when I can I'll try that nice massage! We have all earned at least one!
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
@mamazipp You are so right about my need to see my granddaughter and push her in the stroller around the seawall and in Stanley Park. It would be wonderful to meet you in Victoria - I've heard it's beautiful.
:wave:

@Floridagal I never did sleep last night, not one minute. I took my Norco round the clock and felt like it was keeping me awake. So, I've only taken Aleve today and no Norco and took 2 catnaps. I'm winding down for the night and hope I will sleep. It's very cool tonight so maybe that will help. I have minimal pain now but the lack of sleep is absolutely the worst!
:bored:

@Suz and @sistersinhim if you've never had a massage, it's truly a gift to your body - very healing.
:SUNsmile:
 
@TML yes, that walk is beautiful. It's been years since I've been there. I must plan a trip to Stanley Park. We get very Island bound here. Plan that trip soon. That little baby needs her grandma. I was sitting in a coffee shop this morning and my 15 y.o. granddaughter sent a text that she saw my car and it turned out she was in the same coffee shop with a friend! It was so sweet to see her. My heart was happy. They are the best.
And they grow up soooo fast.:friends:
 
Oh, what a lovely surprise @mamazipp I can't wait to hold my little granddaughter once again.

My scar and surrounding skin including the entire knee have recently become extremely sensitive, feeling like sharp little pins pricking. Last night the sheet touching my knee was painful and then my pajama bottoms were doing the same thing. Therapist said it's time to start 'desensitizing' the scar and knee. I take a rough kitchen towel and very gently wipe upwards on the scar and the knee several times a day for 5 minutes each. I remember having to do this for my other surgeries. It's not pleasant but it's not terrible. There's always something in this recovery! :heehee:
 
@TML, does the kitchen towel trick work? My knee goes through those stages. Last night was one of them, and I had to take the sheet off of it.
 
I hope you got some sleep last night. Good luck getting that scar so it is not so sensitive. I bet that is part of the reason you can't sleep at night. Hang on in there. Remember this is a dance one step forward and one step back. Soon we will be gliding forward across that floor with the greatest of ease.
 
Have you tried the cling wrap at night for the sensitive scars? I've read about it and while it seems weird, it does appear to work.
 
Yes, the towel works in desentisizing my skin and scar. I've done it before on my long scars on my shoulders for my rotator cuff surgeries. I have friends that have not desentisized their scars from prior surgeries and complain about them for years. Therapist gave me the medical term for this weird sensitivity in my skin and also my extreme sensitivity to fluctuations in temperature, but I can't remember it. It's normal in recovery. I love my therapists. They have successfully helped me heal this far and continue to help with the oddities that are a natural part of healing from major surgery.

@LoveGiants I tried the cling wrap and almost screamed in pain when it touched my skin.

@Floridagal I did sleep last night due to Ambien! I stopped Norco 48 hours ago, and though I read from Josephine on BS that I could take them together, I wanted to wait. Those of you that have been following my thread will recall that I've tried to stop Norco several times before but too much pain returned. This is the longest I've gone, so I'm hopeful that I won't need it again. My body is starting to shake off the side effects of the pain meds. I surely needed them but I'll be just as glad to be off them.

One great breakthrough yesterday! I walked down the stairs one foot per step, albeit very slowly and with some stiffness but I did it!
 
Wow! That's something I can't do yet and you are three weeks behind me. Wonderful!
 
You've gone down the steps one at a time!? That's amazing!
I've done the cling wrap at night, but it bothers the back of my knee. Always something. I'm going to start the desensitizing the scar. That would help at night. And we need all the help we can get!
 
  • Agree
Reactions: TML
I'm seeing a slight difference in desensitizing my scar and entire knee area. I've been doing it several times a day for only 2 days now and I could rest on my side this afternoon with surgical knee on top of other knee. That's huge for me!

Also, this afternoon I got so bored and, since I'm now off pain meds, I told my husband I was going to drive myself to the dollar store and the liquor store 1/2 mile away. I had to adjust the seat differently to let my leg be more flat but did fine. I browsed around the dollar store and then parked right in front of the liquor store, went in and asked the clerk to find me a six pack of my favorite beer and carry it to the car. I made it home safely and my husband opened that cold beer as I lay back in my recliner! Awesome!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom