TKR 21 June 2016 & 18 October 2016 Life Begins Again

Happy Anniversary. Enjoy your take out and beer.
You'll get to that tropical paradise soon enough, and will enjoy it.
Your ROM is amazing. Mine measured the same today, but that's after 5 months! You're doing very well.
 
Thanks everyone! Our Chinese take-out was delicious and we enjoyed leftovers several days afterwards. Yum!
 
8 weeks post-op

ROM is 135/1 and most of the swelling is gone. I can see the shape of a kneecap and indentations of a knee instead of a blob! PT has the scar moving freely now - it's no longer stuck and doesn't feel restricted. The sensitivity is mostly gone but I still desensitize it occasionally. I remain fatigued and occasionally ice and elevate when swelling occurs. OS and PT say I'm ahead in recovery and caution to be patient.

PT yesterday introduced a new hamstring stretch and a hamstring strengthening exercise. I'm feeling stronger. I went to the pool and stretched and walked. It's another way to rehab and fight the boredom. I also had my ladies book club over yesterday. That forced my hubbie and I to put away all the 'sickly' things tossed all over the first floor, which is a big mental boost! I organized pain meds, pillows, walker, cane, etc. and put them in the bedroom closet as I think I'll be needing them again.

Lower back pain on the left side is becoming an issue. A few nights ago a shooting pain extending from my back to my left calf woke me up. The only thing that seems to bring temporary relief is heat and doing the hamstring stretch. The PT receptionist is calling OS to request a prescription for me to start seeing the therapist that deals with back pain.

My biggest issue now is that my non-surgical knee has become so painful that we have had to adjust PT exercises to not make that knee worse. I think what's happening is that my TKR pain is much less. My strongest pain is now from the arthritic non-surgical knee and no pain medication touches that. So, as I write this, I'm getting a sickening feeling in my stomach as I realize that I will most likely schedule my other knee for surgery in October (I have had a tentative date reserved).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulation on the excellent report on your new knee. I am sorry about that other knee. Can't you wait awhile until you are totally healed and maybe forgotten what TKR is like? I'm not sure I'll ever forget but they say women forget what it was like to birth a child for the joy of having a new life. Maybe you'll forget the pain of this TKR and be ready for the next when this one is well. Just a thought.
 
I know what you mean about your other knee now seeming to hurt more. You might be right that now that the worse one I'd feeling better you finally feel the pain in the other one.

I also developed back pain and it seems like there are many of us with the same complaints. My PCP recommended a chiropractor who has helped me with massage and adjustments. I also use a heating pad when it's at its worse. I also made sure to get new sneakers from a store who caters to runners. They checked my size, looked at my gait and suggested a couple of pairs to try. Your gait can be different now which can also affect your back.
 
I've had back pain for hundreds of years. I just tend to ignore it most of the time. I find a hot shower helps in the morning to get me going. I have also noticed that many of us have similar problems - knees, back, carpel tunnel. It is some how reassuring that there are people out there like me and they are managing to have a fun full life. I have a massage scheduled next week and he'll work on the back and the knee. He is extremely knowledgeable and does a "medical" massage.
 
Good idea @newlybionic on checking shoes. I've been going barefoot at home and need to start wearing my sneakers with my orthotics, even in the house. After my other knee is done, I should get my orthotics checked.

Great ideas @Floridagal and I appreciate your comments on the next knee surgery. If this knee was mildly uncomfortable, I would put it off; however, I am actually limping from the pain in this knee and it's the one keeping me awake now since the surgical knee pain can be controlled with meds. I know the only way to relieve the arthritic pain is TKR, since the euflexa and cortisone shots stopped working over a year ago. I called OS yesterday and they can order my special 100% titanium knee for October 18, which is my tentative surgery date, but we'll wait to finalize the decision until my 3-month post op appt. with OS, which is in September. I'm 99.9% certain I'll do it. It's strange - I'm 8 weeks post-op and am contemplating next TKR in 8 weeks. Ugh!
 
Oh dear, TML, you are brave. Of course if the pain is unrelieved my euflexxa and cortisone that is time to do it. What about that trip to Vancouver to see your granddaughter? Will you have to postpone that? If your knee is getting stronger I suppose it's better to get it done and then not have it looming over you.....
 
My thoughts exactly. We will miss the Vancouver trip in the fall but I can't do it limping. So sad.
 
Thx for your support. I'm actually terrified about going through another TKR in 8 weeks but these next few weeks will confirm if it's necessary as the pain and stiffness from my new knee lessens. My husband wants me to try and change my attitude and be excited I'm getting the other knee fixed and looking forward to the end of knee pain and the freedom that will come with it. Since I'm still having pain and stiffness with my TKR, I'm afraid I gave him a big smirk on not being excited yet. Only one who has been through it knows the sickening pain from surgery and rehab, even though he's see me go through it. I know what he means, though, and will work on my attitude.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@TML, just found your recovery thread-sounds like you are doing fantastic, in spite of all the extra medical procedures you had to endure (I can't imagine bringing oxygen home). Good for you for having your book club over-I dropped out of mine a year ago-it was always scheduled on a work day and with all the knee problems, plus rushing home to get food and house ready was too much for me.

I simply cannot imagine having another knee replacement in 8 weeks -bless your heart!! I have a saint-like husband like yours, too, but can't imagine him making it through one more recovery. Best wishes!

PS Your ROM is my goal!!
 
TML, if you have custom orthotics, take them out of your operative knee shoe. You have new ergonomics rendering them inappropriate now.

I recommend new shoes (if you've going to do the other knee soon, don't buy too many new pair -- just enough to get you through the second knee).

For me, the limiting factor of the non-operative knee became apparent very early in my recovery. It sounds like you've discovered this, too. October will be a good time to get this done and begin moving forward with two good knees.

I'll be asking to a referral to podiatry to get new orthotics now that both knees are done. I'm wondering if I'll even need them? I'll find out.

My lower back is doing better, but it still has some minor issues. You're doing great, covering all issues like a champ.


Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016
LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@LaylaHips thx for your comments! Looks like you're a little over 4 weeks out and your ROM will come. How are you doing? I'll look for your thread. I really pushed hard on the flexion exercises early on. Everyone told me there was a 'window' and I think I must've found it. I do feel really good about my progress and am grateful to all the professionals that are helping me recover. I hope to repeat it with this next TKR - ugh, I actually said it.

@PolarBear60 great idea on removing the orthotic and new shoes. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we didn't need orthotics? I'd love to just be able to put on a pair of shoes without the struggle of squeezing in orthotics. I think I'll hold onto that thought for awhile! :eyebrows: And thx for your positive attitude. I'll reread your post when I need it, which will most likely be often!
 
@TML I totally get what you mean, my left knee has some arthritis but it very seldom bothers me, I'm hoping that I will never need a TKR, if I was in need of a TKR I would have it, I would not wait and suffer with arthritis pain the way I did before. I really have a tremendous amount of respect for those that have bilateral TKR or a second one weeks after the firsT.

You have had an excellent positive attitude and a good recovery, you will do just as well next time:flwrysmile:
 
We are coming up on the 2 month mark on Sunday. Can you believe it? Thank you for the tip about Chattanooga Colpacs. I bought 4 and have 2 more on the way to keep at work!!

I wore orthotics for a decade and no longer need them. Fortunately, I saved all of the insoles for the shoes I have taken them out of over the years. Now, I just have to match them up :unsure: All in due time. It is nice not to have to worry about fitting an orthotic - now if I only needed new shoes!!

I made the decision to do bilateral when I realized that both my knees really hurt and if I didn't do them at the same time, I would have to wait a year to do the second one, meaning that I would have gone through the pain of the replacement and still had pain in the other knee. I'm still not sure I would recommend doing it that way, but it worked out well for me. I know you will be happy to have it behind you.

Happy Surgi-versary coming up on Sunday. I wish I could say I was going to dance the night away, but no. Perhaps ice the night away!

Kay
 
@TML have you ever tried Vionic shoes? I never had a problem with my feet until my TKR. The OS eels I spent so much time with my leg up it shortened my fascia, leaving me with plantar fasciitis. I was so desperate last summer I ordered a pair of Vionic flip flops. Although I had to start off slow, wearing them a few hours a day, they gave me great relief. It is nice to be able to wear sandals in the summer without an orthotic. I have one pair I wear just in the house and slippers for cooler weather.
 
  • Informative
Reactions: TML
@KaseyDoodl so glad you like the Colpacs too. They've been wonderful for me. Congrats on your recovery with your bilateral. You are very brave and I'm really glad it worked for you. You're all done now with surgery and can focus on recovery. I've not regretted my decision to do one at a time, especially since I developed that terrible sciatic pain in the first week after surgery - it was worse than the surgery! Unfortunately, I am still dealing with it.
 
@KarriB Thx for the tip on Vionic shoes. I looked online and there are several stores nearby that carry them. I'll take my cane and limp over to check them out!
:old:
 
Went shoe shopping at DSW today and found several pairs of Vionic shoes @KarriB but couldn't find them in my size. They look like they have great support and I'll keep looking for them at other stores.

I did, however, buy a comfy pair of Skeechers slip-on gel-cushioned sneakers that will be perfect to wear now and, also, for recovery with Knee 2 in October. It's so nice when that happens. :happydance:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom