TKR 21 June 2016 & 18 October 2016 Life Begins Again

Yes! Two new knee sisters. I was so dreading the repeat, as you know, but so far this is easier except for muscle weakness. You are right about muscles atrophying. But you have been much Mir active than me -- I bet you breeze thru. And NO sciatica-- saying prayers for that right now


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Thanks for your prayers and thinking of me. I'm anxious to get this party going!
 
TML, have you tried adult coloring books? I was so insulted when a friend gave me one, but preop, it really helped me distract.

Just think, this time next year we'll have new knees dancing. Heck, we'll be able to do a little jig by NYE.

We got this :)


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
I was teaching HS British Lit at the time, so I had all kinds of lesson plans and assignments to prepare, as I had my BTKR on November 8th and did not return to the classroom until after Christmas break (which was too soon!) I was very, very busy.
 
@sheliac
I used a Lassie coloring book years ago as a relaxing thing to do. (It has since disappeared!) Got the idea from a college friend. Never thought anymore about it until my son's girlfriend got me an "adult" coloring book for Christmas and I spent the whole holiday coloring! When I had my knee done, I got a couple more. It was something I could focus on to keep from getting bored and didn't really require any concentration. Now hubby has one of his own! They seem to have their place, although some have too many short narrow spaces that I cannot see to color. I like markers better than colored pencils too, because they are brighter. But you have to have a book that has nothing on the reverse side of the pages!
 
I have a coloring book app for my iPad. It's a nice way to fill some time and more portable than a book and pens.
 
Oh, thank you for these great ideas! @referee54, I'm picturing myself assembling a model airplane while taking oxy. Wonder if I'd get nauseous sniffing the glue! :rotfl:

As an artist and former high school art teacher, I know I can't create quality artwork in recovery; so, this morning I cut a sketchbook into 3.5" (9 cm) squares and plan to 'Zentangle'. If you're not familiar with this drawing method, it is an easy-to-learn and fun way to create beautiful images by drawing patterns. It requires neither art training nor expensive materials yet allows you to focus on the moment and relax. Craft stores sell how-to books/kits or you can cut your own paper and use any pen. Search 'zentangle' on YouTube for a variety of easy-to-follow instructions.

Tomorrow I start my 3 straight days of Hibiclens showers and washing bedding and pajamas. No turning back now.
 
Wow, TML, it's almost time. You've got lots to do with your 3 day prep. I'll have to google/YouTube zentangle as I've not heard of it before. Keep busy, keep calm, you know what to expect. We'll be here.
 
Only one more day of the sanitizing shower and washing everything in sight! I forgot how much time this prep takes. Yes, @greatlakes I'm sqeaky clean!

June knee has been very stiff and sore - maybe it's working too hard to support October knee? I'm so disappointed as I thought it'd feel really good.

I've been keeping busy today with ordering Christmas and birthday presents online for my darling granddaughter, who will be 1 year old January 6. She and her parents live in Vancouver, B.C., so we'll ship Xmas and birthday gifts together but have to allow for several weeks of shipping. My husband's been giving me that 'sideways glance' when I tell him how much money I'm saving! :heehee:

Tomorrow is my last day of sanitizing prep with surgery on Tuesday. I'm thinking of keeping busy by shopping for Xmas cards. I think I could address and sign cards while on oxy. :flabber:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I had my Revision TKR on December 9th, 2011, and I did all my Christmas shopping online. It was my laziest Christmas and the easiest Christmas for buying presents.

Best wishes for your Big Day! I'm looking forward to hearing from you after Knee 2 is done.
 
I want to wish you good luck with your surgery on Tuesday. You know what to expect and you will do well.
 
Just don't shop on line while on oxycodone. My washout was Thanksgiving Eve so all shopping was done on line and I didn't end up with what I thought I'd bought. Get those Christmas cards now, because in a month you'll be good for addressing and signing. One day I'll order a stamp so I don't have to write them out.
 
Hahahahahha @KarriB I did shop online after rotator cuff surgery a few years back while on oxy! I was watching QVC in the middle of the night and I bought a Pilates reformer, which I thought would be really nice to have in recovery. I forgot about it until a few weeks later when a huge, heavy box arrived. :loll:

I really do love it and it's been wonderful in rehabbing my June knee. However, Hubbie hides my credit cards now when I'm in surgery.

I wonder if any stores have Xmas cards out now?
 
So we'll add that story to Shelia's pink sundress. Walmart has trees and other Christmas decorations, not sure about Hallmark stores. Call around before you go so you aren't wasting precious time before surgery.
 
TJ Maxx has the cards out!

I won a free entry to an online casino. Good way to recover right.

I just chopped my compression stockings into fishnets. Probably do just about as much good :)



Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
TML, best wishes for a successful surgery day on Tuesday. Just think how wonderful it'll be when you can go to Vancouver on 2good knees and see your granddaughter!
 
You have a ton of friends here all cheering you on and hoping that you have an easy speedy heeling process, including me.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom