TKR 21 June 2016 & 18 October 2016 Life Begins Again

@TML
I'm doing well for 2 weeks post-op today aside from feeling blue at times:boohoo:
Experiencing the similar post-op pain and swelling I had with the first surgery but I feel like I'm moving better with this knee. I start PT the end of this week...I will remind them to take it easy on my new knee!
 
@greatlakes Yes, I am so happy with the timing. OS was the one who suggested the 4-month time difference between surgeries, since both were bone-on-bone for years. June knee hurt more, so that's the one he fixed first. He won't do bilateral. It will be interesting to see how June knee progresses along with October knee, as they have differing needs. I'm also wondering how the rest of my body will adjust and align, hoping that's not too painful!
 
@Majella We are all here for you, especially during those blue moments.:flwrysmile:

I had a great PT experience that aligned with BS and hope that yours will be as well. This second time around, I'm not as worried.
 
4 months is sounding smarter and smarter to me. It gives the baby time for attention and healing. Right now I'm thinking it was foolish of me to schedule mine so close together.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Hey guys,

I did one on 6/12 and one on 7/11 and have popped out pretty well!
Rode my road bike 5.5 miles yesterday and clipped into the pedals...and survived, although my muscles are reminding me of my new chicken legs today, big time!
 
  • Friendly
Reactions: TML
Thx for your input @tpellerin I think we sometimes focus on the problems we might face instead of the victories!
 
Hello, my knee-twin (almost). Thank you for your kindness and wisdom in responding to my day of freaking out.

I did not realize you had such bad pain and feel so badly. You always come across as so positive and upbeat-- I can learn a lesson from you.

I'm bagging up sheets/linens today (remember Dianeshelen's hermetically sealed preop prep)? :)


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Hello back, @sheliac my knee-twin. I'm so glad I could help. Yes, the pain has really increased but there is an end in sight! I'm sure I'll have my low moments, both physically and emotionally, and will need support from you and all my bonesmartie friends. I don't deal well with surgical pain, so if you don't hear from me, it's probably because I'm trying to get it under control. June knee pain was very well-controlled so I hope to start with that cocktail mix.
:martini:
Like you, I am staying busy preparing. Yesterday I went crazy organizing clothing in my dresser. I can now tell hubbie which drawers to open to get me what I want to wear. I washed my new pretty pajamas, lounge clothing, and warm fleece jacket. I have my Vionic slippers to wear, which support my knees and legs. I ordered another set of my Colpacs since I'll now be icing 2 knees! Next week will be the rest of the house, including the sheets/linens that you're doing today - and I do remember dianehelens prep!
 
Which vionic slippers do you have? I need to invest in a pair for the winter. My OS warns me to only wear slipper/shoes with backs. I wear Nuat shoes but their slippers aren't comfortable.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Mine don't have backs but are very secure due to the recessed heel bed. Check out: www.vionicshoes.com Slippers are in whole sizes only. I normally wear an 8.5 but the 8 fit well.
 
You two sound quite prepared. Some things I bought I never used, such as the toilet raiser ( my comfort height toilet was ok). And I stocked my hotel room with lots of food I never ate. But the protein drinks and bars were used. Juice tasted pretty good too on days when I didn't want to look at food. I think it helps to make all these preparations. Keeps us from dwelling too much on the operation itself. I've still not watched any of those operation videos and doubt I ever will!
 
  • Informative
Reactions: TML
I had no interest in watching TKR videos until about a month or so ago. Then became obsessed and watched many, then lost interest.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
All the best with your preparations, thinking about you in the run up to knee no 2. Your positive attitude has got you through some tough times, but when you feel low, lean on us.
Tabby xxx
 
You sound just like me getting so organized before surgery, I had all my PJ's and slipper socks washed and lined up ready to go! This time I made several loafs of banana bread and 6 dinners ready in the freezer which really helped. Then I got hooked on a Netflex show called "Velvet" just loved it!
I think you will breeze through your next surgery!
keep the faith :angel:
 
You are a pro...sounds like you are very ready, just think in a few weeks you will be feeling so much better.

I wish you the best:flwrysmile:
 
So good to hear from all of you. I am thinking of everyone in the path of the hurricane and hoping that everyone remains safe.

@Majella Thx - I'll check out Velvet. Your banana bread sounds yummy and I'm sure it's helped to precook meals. Has your appetite been affected this time around? I lost 15 pounds with June knee, and then 5 more, as I lost my appetite and was slightly nauseous from the pain meds. I have kept it all off by continuing to eat smaller portions and snacking on fruit, which also helps with constipation. I'd like to lose more and am so lucky that my Hubbie loves to cook and is helping to reinforce my eating nutritiously. Once October knee is healed, I plan to get into a good exercise routine. OS wants me to be on the thin side to prolong the life of the prosthetics and I don't want to ever go through this surgery again! :no-fin:

This week has flown by with preop appointments. The only one left is next week with the surgeon. Time is moving quickly now. The good thing about having recently gone through this surgery is that I know what I really need this time and it's really pretty simple: walker, cane, hand rails on the toilets, my Colpacs with pillowcases, many pillows, warm blankets, fleece jacket with hood, prunes, fruit, crackers, vanilla wafers, Gatorade, Coke, water bottle, notebook/pen for pill schedule, cellphone, and Hubbie!
 
I cannot imagine having another TKR done so soon. I intend to never have the other one done! It is under VERY STRICT orders to stay healthy!!! Knee is listening so far. Now if only I could get my foot to listen! LOL
 
@TML
With my first surgery I lost 10 lbs. with my second surgery I haven't lost any so far, but I'm not having as much pain, so I'm eating better. constipation is the worst! Prune juice and lots of stool softener has helped. Glad your hubby likes to cook...mine can't boil water :heehee:
 
  • Funny
Reactions: TML

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom