TKR 21 June 2016 & 18 October 2016 Life Begins Again

Great list! I've got it all, I think. I added an electric shawl (like a little electric blanket) and big fluffy socks. Also a thermometer for obsessively checking temperature.

I'm getting car serviced for winter today. Husband is out on business this weekend, so I'm staying busy and away from thinking about worries. It will be over before we know it and we'll be able to dance with New knees on NYE!




Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
@Majella I'm curious why you think your pain is less. I really like that idea!
 
I seemed to have less pain after my revision than with the first surgery. I think it might have to do with that you know what to expect the second time. I'd like to hear what Marella says.
 
@sheliac oooooh, I like the electric shawl idea. If I didn't have a large heating pad, I'd go buy one. Thx for the reminder on a thermometer. OS told me its pretty normal to have slightly elevated temperature for 2 weeks but if it goes over 101* F to call. Stay busy. We're almost there!
 
At my hospital pre op appointment last week, the nurse said I could take Norco for October knee's pain right up to surgery. It relieved the pain enough today that I could my do pre op quad and hamstring strengthening exercises! I'm also cycling 15 minutes twice a day in the lead up to surgery on October 18. I know how much these exercises helped in recovery of June knee. My muscles fired up one week after surgery, which took the pressure off the new knee joint. I remember how surprised home PT was that the muscles came back so quickly. I'm actually getting excited! Am I crazy? :happydance:
 
No! Not crazy! We're getting a new lease on life. I actually felt excited today, too. Very soon we'll have two knee knees. It'll be tough, but the pain/ discomfort is for healing purpose rather than the slow degradation of our bones.

I got all my preop labs back - perfectly normal :). My checklist is complete except for haircut on Monday. I got a nice bag of candied ginger -- putting it in the freezer for tummy comfort. I do look forward to the day my little freezer is not filled with ice bottles :).




Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Good for you finishing your checklist. It's not long now for you - it helps to stay busy. Please tell me about candied ginger - that's new to me.
 
Majella, that is so encouraging. I had a very easy time with knee 1, so I'm trying to remember that they are not twins!

TML-- I buy candied ginger at World Market. You can get it at grocery, too, just make sure it's 100% ginger. I get the lightly sugared kind for taste. It is a natural antiemetic and very soothing to the tummy. Last surgery, I lost my appetite for several days. Popping a piece of frozen ginger before taking my meds really helped. It gives a slight burst of energy and makes you feel warm inside. I started using it when I was pregnant (25 years ago!) and have used it ever since.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Ooh it sounds perfect for recovery. I think I'll have to get some.
 
Good tip. I use it as a snack but I'll keep it in mind for tummy issues.
 
Ok! My #2 has been easier than #1 so far. I think knowing exactly what to expect helps tremendously, as does telling everybody up front what you need (I didn't speak up as much the first time).

So, we've got this. I'm saying prayers for you right now, knee-twin sister. :)


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Oh, @sheliac how sweet of you to think of me and post me a note on the day after your surgery! I'm so happy it's easier for you and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers every day until we're both fully participating in our lives. Here's us soon knee-twin sister! :dancy::spin:

All preop appointments are done and I'm getting the house ready, exercising, and watching 'The Tudors' with hubbie. We're so lucky to be retired. He's making grocery runs as I'm putting myself in hibernation to avoid germs. OS had me stop shaving legs 2 weeks out as they won't operate if I have even a tiny cut on my leg; it's to prevent infection. I'm also slathering body cream on skin to keep skin moist and supple.
 
Knee-twin sister your signature says the 11th. Did you already have it or is it really next week? Just wondering if you were in recovery mode now. I know that is when the work begins.

I've been singing about going up stairs to the tune of "Breaking Up is Hard to Do". It makes it easier LOL. Luckily we live in a rambler so I don't NEED to go downstairs but do so sometimes. I'm exploring options if the sciatica flares up such as acupuncture, PT and if it will not go away then a microdiscectomy to get rid of the issue once and for all I would hope.

I had my pre op testing done yesterday including an x-ray as I have an extra vertebra in my lower back that may be an issue for a spinal (in addition to herniated discs).

My other concern which will address again with the surgeon on Tues is that my left leg is slightly shorter than the right due to a injury in high school that disrupted the growth plate. It has made my back a little crooked. My left leg is very knock kneed right now and I don't want him to measure what the length of my right should be post surgery based on it. Of course if they make the left the same as the right when it is done that is going to throw my back etc out of whack after 50 years of walking a different way. We shall see. The left was supposed to be being done first but my "good" knee blew out on me in May so we have to do it first. I think I am getting more nervous as it gets closer. I tend to be snacking to self medicate I suppose and that is not a good thing. I certainly hope I am one the bonesmarties that loses 10 lbs!

I certainly hope those icons are us. I needed that chuckle.
 
I'm not sure why I had less pain this time, the nurse at the hospital made a comment: " your knees are like sisters but they are not twins" I so agree with this. :yes:
No knee TKR recovery is exactly the same. I had a BTKR, and my left knee was the "angel" and the right knee was the "problem child."
 
@qwilter It's easy to get confused on dates when reading all the threads! I'm scheduled for next Tuesday, October 18 - same as you. I'll look for your thread in 'Recovery' when we're on the other side.

Let's hope sciatica does not happen for either of us but, as you have such a history of it, it's good you have some options if it occurs. Be sure you share all concerns with OS about leg length before surgery and keep your sense of humor! It'll help get you through recovery.

I understand the nerves setting in as surgery gets closer. I'm keeping as busy as possible but I do have my moments. Hang in there. Next week at this time, we'll be in recovery!
 
I understand the nerves setting in as surgery gets closer. I'm keeping as busy as possible but I do have my moments.
I was great and excited about reclaiming the life that arthritis had stolen from me, but as I got closer to the date, I did have to get busier to take my mind off of the surgery.

As Josephine has routinely pointed out, this is the most-performed surgery in the world, and you have chosen an excellent surgeon---have faith in his ability and you will be just fine!
 
Back
Top Bottom