TKR 21 June 2016 & 18 October 2016 Life Begins Again

I fully agree with all the responses about your second knee. To have two good flexing straightening knees. That's worth this!
 
3-month post-op appointment with OS

I saw OS today and he was pleased with progress on June knee. He said knee had no swelling but soft tissues still do, and will be swollen with knee feeling warm (from healing) for up to 6 months. Extension was great, thanks to exercises from @Celle. I will remain conscious of extension daily so quads work properly and I don't develop a limp. Knee was stiff today, so flexion was not as good as it has been. I'm not worried about that.

i confirmed October 18 replacement for right knee and we discussed my allergies to nickel and adhesive. He's again ordering 100% titanium knee, will not use staples, and will close with glue. I'm making pre-op appointments and it feels real now. I came home and took a 2-hour nap - felt a little fragile.
 
Wow, it's coming up soon! This knee is doing well, though, so all is going well. Of course you are feeling fragile! It is a lot to go through, again. But you'll have two good knees and that's worth it.
I never thought about the staples as an irritant. I have a titanium knee and my OS doesn't use staples.
 
What a wonderful report! You will do great one your next birth day!
 
14 weeks post-op LTKR (June knee)
3 weeks pre-op RTKR (October knee)

I'm naming my knees based upon their birth month. June knee is strong and stable but still stiff, warm and sore. I continue to ice, elevate and do my exercises, although with not as much gusto. Mainly, because my failing October knee now limits how long I can walk, stand, sit and sleep. October knee runs my life now and I can say with certainty that I'm now mentally ready for this next surgery. Pre-op appointments are all made. I splurged on some pretty pajamas for my recuperation during the holidays and am making my last lunch dates with girlfriends before I go into healing hibernation.
 
I know you'll be so glad when this is all over with. There is an end in sight for you!
 
Wow! October knee is failing rapidly. The leg bowing is intensely painful and I'm experiencing adjoining muscle aches and pains. TKR is a little over 2 weeks away and I can't wait to be on all those narcotic drugs!
 
Leg bowing sounds very painful. You'll feel so much better when it's straightened and your on those pain meds!
Two weeks will pass and you'll be all fixed!
 
I am so sorry your old knee is making your life miserable. Hopefully, you're going to be so busy getting ready to swap it out, that the time will fly by.
 
hang in there! soon you will have a new knee and" no arthritic pain"...only surgery pain.
I noticed the difference almost immediately after my surgery and relieved to be moving forward.
Like you I went out and bought new PJ's and lounging clothes to help me feel better while recovering
 
I appreciate your encouragement so much! I have finally transitioned to focusing on the future. You're all correct, it will be great to have 2 knees fixed and to focus on entire body healing. The next 2 weeks I am busy with pre op appointments, blood work, hospital MRSA test, etc. My hospital has a patient advisor that I meet with next week - it's an awesome oversight position that helped my June hospital experience. We review all my special needs from the inpatient point of view; such as, getting me a gown that ties instead of snaps. (The nickel in snaps makes me break out within minutes.) Second time around, I'll be able to mention my BS requests with nursing and therapy staff. It's really nice to have first-hand experience. :rolleyes:

We went out to a nice restaurant last night with my sister and her husband. It was fun but I got lots of stares hobbling with my cane so October knee wouldn't collapse.

My husband did the grocery shopping today and, while carrying in bags from the car, told me not to get up. He said he could handle it. I recalled that Monty Python scene from the plague where the body wagon goes through town and I said, "I'm not dead yet. I'm getting better!" We both collapsed in laughter. :rotfl:
 
@Majella please tell me how you are doing. Is that new knee behaving? Are you comfortable?
 
We review all my special needs from the inpatient point of view; such as, getting me a gown that ties instead of snaps. (The nickel in snaps makes me break out within minutes.)
I'm glad your hospital has a patient adviser. It's a great idea.

Having grown up in the UK and now living in NZ, we wear our own nightclothes in hospital. I'll never understand the concept of making patients wear a hospital gown that ties up at the back and has the potential of revealing more than I would wish to, when I moved around.

Yes, we wear a gown like that to go to theatre, but we can change into our own nightclothes afterwards. I wear nightgowns that are like long T-shirts, made of T-shirt material, with panties for modesty. Even if you have a drip, it is possible to wear these.

My husband wore his own nightshirt (also in T-shirt material) with underpants when he was in hospital in Canada, 3 years ago. When given a gown with ties, he wore it back to front, as a dressing gown. It occasioned some hilarity, but nobody asked him not to.
 
Oh, I'd love to see them change the gowns in the US. I was so out of it in the hospital I wore the gown for three days. I have no idea what I revealed walking down the hall.
 
When I walked I had my friend or the therapist hold my gown closed. The second day I was able to get a bath and put on my own clothes. That felt great! I went home the next day, which was even better!
 
@Celle at my hospital, I have to wear a sterile gown in surgery and the first night. The next day I can wear my own short gown or very loose pajamas and my own robe. It feels wonderful. I can bring my own pillows and blankets too. It's funny how different hospitals can be.
 
I always asked for a second gown to put on in reverse. Sometimes the nurse would just go get one. Never understood the reasoning behind open backed gowns. My mother always said it was so the patient could be changed easier. Most patients don't seem to have that problem though.
 
Glad you seem to have timed this just right! My rightie seems somehow more comfortable since the op, but maybe it's because it's been resting so much right along with leftie. I certainly do feel more discomfort from the old knee than from the new when I do my ten minutes on the recumbent bike.
Audrey
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom