TKR 21 June 2016 & 18 October 2016 Life Begins Again

@Majella September 19 is almost here. I'll be thinking of you and watching your thread. At least you'll know what to do and not do this time. Do you feel ready?

Yes, I'm scheduled for TKR on my right knee October 18. Won't it be great to have both knees replaced - no more pain!
 
Tms, sounds like your planning is paying off with being in a good position for October.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm hoping once I routinely go up and down stairs with both legs, my left knee will quit complaining. I wish you gals well but don't want to follow in your footsteps!
 
@Floridagal I hope your left knee settles down as well. This recovery is so very hard and I hope you never have to do it again.

I ran several errands today, walking more than normal, which isn't much. The TKR knee did well, just still stiff and slow to get moving when I first stand. What stopped me from doing more, however, was the agonizing osteoarthritic pain in my other knee and the pain from bowing in the lower leg. I know you can all relate.
 
I know you are anxious to get that one replaced, too. My left will show itself if I'd done a lot, but just sitting around, it's fine. I want to put off having it done as long as possible. My Brat is far from healed and shows its anger way too often!
 
@TML
oh my, you and I will be in the same boat again :heehee:
There are days when I feel really ready, and then I have blue days :cry: and think to myself, can I really go through this again? trying to keep my spirits up right now :praying:
 
  • Agree
Reactions: TML
I'm right behind you - having second knee on the 20th. We know what to expect this time and hopefully how to make it easier on ourselves. I'm trying to stay busy reading/watching mindless TV this preop week.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
 
@sheliac and @Majella I am sending you strength and support as you prepare. As you wait, plz remember to get your home totally ready and brief your caregiver with instructions, especially those things you want to do differently!

I bought extra firm pillows this week to prop my leg on - will have enough for the bed and the recliner. My biggest change is to 'prop my toes above my nose with my leg in a straight line' immediately when I get home. I also made small pillowcases to fit my gel ice packs to make it easier and bought myself some Vionic bedroom slippers to wear on my feet, so I don't get leg aches from walking without arch support.

We discovered the HBO series the Tudors a few weeks ago - check it out if you haven't seen it. It will keep you busy watching several seasons.Drop a note to update when you can and know that after this surgery, you are done! I look forward to being 'on the other side' with you.
 
12 weeks post-op

138/2. Extension has worsened so I worked on that yesterday at my last PT appointment, I've been sitting in the recliner too much with a pillow under my knee. If I could walk more, I don't think extension would be a problem; however, my right knee is now occasionally giving way and the leg bowing pain is excruciating when I walk. So, I continue to do what I can, which is strengthening and stretching exercises and riding my stationary bike. My husband helps keep my spirits up and I get out each day, just not walking much. My TKR knee is taking over for the arthritic right one and I'm actually starting to look forward to my next (and LAST) TKR October 18. I must be crazy!
 
TML. I doubt you are crazy. With the pain your right knee is giving you, you'd be crazy to keep living with it. The new knee will force the old new knee to work harder and your extension will return. I know you'll feel glad when it's behind you. I hope I can find some Vionics slippers for the house. When I get up from a chair I find myself very "gimpy" without support.
 
I remember wishing that my surgery would be soon and they moved it up twice! It will be wonderful when you can walk with NO pain. That day is coming. You are nicely prepared to meet the new knee which is coming and take good care of it. You know that there is a great group of people here to support you on the down days.
 
  • Friendly
Reactions: TML
Thx Celle for the exercises - they are excellent.

And thx everyone for your support. Why is it I'm feeling like . . . I've been here before! :scare:
 
Thanks TML for all the great advice! where did you find Vionic bedroom slippers? I'm always looking for good foot support, even tho I'm guilty off wearing flip flops around the house:heehee:
I look forward to reading your posts going into your second TKR and wish you all the best :console2:
 
I found the slippers at my local DSW. I believe they are also at dsw.com. The ones I bought come in black and khaki and have Velcro, a closed toe and an open back. They stay on well because of the Velcro and the recessed heel bed. I normally wear 8.5, but the 8's fit well (they only come in whole sizes). I also love the Vionic flip flops.
Thinking of you these last few days before surgery. :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I could plan to get my other knee replaced but I don't have the time. Even after having to have a revision 8 months after the original surgery I totally trust my OS that did that surgery. I would do it tomorrow if I could.

I think you'll be much happier when you have a matched set of strong knees.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom