TKR 21 June 2016 & 18 October 2016 Life Begins Again

It's still very soon since you're surgery and it's not uncommon to get fatigued easily. Please read the following articles.

Since it's only two months since you had this major surgery, you will still feel tired for some time. That's because most of your body's energy is going towards healing your knee and there isn't much left for anything else:
Energy drain for TKRs

Activity progression for TKRs
 
@TML and @newlybionic, how do the Vionic shoes run? Are the true to size or do they run large or small. I am thinking about buying a used pair from Ebay to see how they do before I pay for a new pair. Right now I'm wearing MBTs and Ryns. They made my knees and back hurt less, but I'm afraid of the rockers until I get more strength in my new knee.
 
TML, it is only natural to test our limits and sometimes we will go over a little much. It's all part of the process. At three months out I am still seeing changes. What I couldn't do yesterday I can do today. Soon running errands will not be such a challenge. I think it is healthy to keep pushing ourselves, of course, within limits. Have a good day.
 
I don't have the Vionic shoes. I have some sneakers for over pronation. My foot wants to turn in. I have some specific sneakers chosen for that problem one is by asic and one by brooks.
 
@newlybionic, Oops, sorry about that! I am flat-footed and need to find shoes to deal with that.
 
Vionic Orthaheel shoes: I've been wearing them for years for their support for my bad knee. Very good orthoic footbed to help with different foot issues. They are true to size. I have a bunion on my left foot from walking to overcompensate for my bad knee so I wear a wide width and they fit great. I've tried some from QVC basically for sizing and then sent them back and found them on eBay new and 1/3 of the price. They are great and very comfortable! I just ordered a pair from eBay today to wear with my new & improved knee.
 
@newlybionic Thx for those articles - the images of energy drain are excellent. I'll keep pampering myself for awhile longer!
:chillpill:

@sistersinhim I agree with everyone that Vionics run true to size. Look on Vionics.com for excellent descriptions on styles. They all seem to have roomy foot beds, which I love so my long toes aren't squeezed!

With all our discussions about shoes, I started thinking about posture and how I'm walking with my newly aligned leg in my well-supported shoes. I watched some good videos on this subject on YouTube this afternoon. After my other bowed leg is fixed in my October TKR surgery, I'll be able to focus more on this but thought I'd do what I can now.
:chuckmarch:
 
@TML it surprises me at how the same and yet how different we all our in our recovery process. I've been fairly hard to keep down from the start ( which has probably caused me some of my delayed ROM issues) but yet in the beginning I napped, but the last few wks I get a good nights sleep and go all day, not a full bore some times but at a steady pace. Shopping does seem to tucker me out some so when I go to a store lately I am in and out quickly. I've enjoyed going to bed a bit earlier than I had prior to the surgery, my appetite is still so so, crave more types of foods I shouldn't have then should, and sometimes I am not hungry at all at meal times. Have that wound that is healing, but no heat and most of the time minor swelling. Heading back to work full time this next week expect to be tired and adjusting for a while down the road. I guess over all I am finally satisfied where I am at in the recovery process, so many more of you are further ahead here and there but have other issues, the issues some of you have I don't so I guess it's a trade off.
We are just all the same ..............yet different and unique
 
So true @zzevi. Be careful going back to work. It'll be good to get your mind off your knee but plz do all you can in advance to accomodate it.
:flwrysmile:
 
10 weeks post-op

138/0 ROM and walking more normally. Pain and stiffness are minimal but I still can't sleep at night without sleeping pill, due to general discomfort. PT modified home exercises today to focus on strengthening v range of motion and wants me to continue icing and elevating 3x day. I have 2 more weeks of PT, once per week. My goal is to preserve ROM both before and while I am recuperating from my next TKR, which is 7 weeks from now. Fatigue is lessening but I'm limited in activity due to right knee's painful osteoarthritis. I am really happy with my progress and thankful to my OS, PT, and bone smarties! I hope my posts are helpful to others going through this.
 
Wonderful numbers you have there! I don't think you'll lose them during your next recovery. Your new knee now will be taking over all the duties and will really be used!
 
Things are improving for you nicely. In 7 weeks you'll probably be even more agile.

I just ordered a pair of vionics! I've never ordered shoes online before...taking a chance that they run true to size. We'll see.
 
Those are wonderful numbers, your new knee is ready for the upcoming challenge!!!
 
Fantastic numbers!!! :yes!: So happy for you! Like everyone is saying, your knee will improve even more before your next TKR, and you'll be a pro for the second one!
 
11 weeks post-op

138/0. It's been a good week. One day I noticed the swelling on the lateral side of my knee was gone and I could clearly see the outline of my kneecap! Also, a portion of the feeling is back, although it's far from normal. PT suggested I start desensitizing it.

I stopped taking Aleve 2 days ago as I was concerned about the length of time I've been on it and, thankfully, I have been fine without it. Fatigue was still so strong that my PCP did bloodwork, which came out normal. With my next TKR only 6 weeks away, we needed to be sure that I wouldn't fail my pre-op physical in a few weeks.

My muscles are getting stronger and I'm committed to daily exercises, icing, and elevation so that I'll be in the best shape for my next and last TRK October 18. Everyone thinks I'll be ready and I'm starting to believe it myself!
 
Good to hear about your improvements and your upbeat attitude going into your 2nd and LAST TKR. You're giving yourself the best possible physical advantage.
 
Greetings TML,
You are doing so well for 11 weeks post-op and your ROM is simply amazing! :flwrysmile:
Are you having a TKR on your other knee?
I'm having my other knee done Sept 19, so I will be a month ahead of you.:wink:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom