Guest viewing is limited

2017 July Sparklers - Are you having hip surgery in July?

@gaulsuerou this is a great place to find support. Ill be watching you progress with interest and want to read all the details! :) I hope your pre-op goes really well!
 
I have brought forward this month's list so that you can easily see who your surgical buddies are.

Welcome to our latest and all July Sparklers!


[Bonesmart.org] 2017 July Sparklers - Are you having hip surgery in July?


Feel free post your surgery date in this thread, and I will add you to the list. Start a thread of your own in the Pre-Op Hip Section to post comments and share your journey toward hip replacement. Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

03 July 2017 KiKi60
04 July 2017 maggie23
05 July 2017 Sutree
06 July 2017 gaulsuerou (bilateral)
07 July 2017 Hippalong
11 July 2017 BlueSkys, Lerwick8
19 July 2017 Steelergal (her second)
20 July 2017 zauberflote (her second), nanato1
27 July 2017 sandyB
31 July 2017 fenway09 (her second)

 
Hi @BlueSkys, my pre-op went ok but just learned a may be having spinal block too, at which I was surprised as my letter said I was having a general anaesthetic which i quite frankly would prefer? Thankfully no catheter though so thats a small bonus! I dont have any 'gadgets' yet although have to go to a group physio meeting soon so will probably acquire some! Wont be long now
 
Hi@BlueSkys, just got back from my preop, I have to go back for my blood work as I am more than two weeks out, rats, but everything went well asked a lot of questions, I got to hold an implant similar to what I am going to get and play with it, it's an older version but I I took a photo
[Bonesmart.org] 2017 July Sparklers - Are you having hip surgery in July?

I am having a spinal as well, all of the nurses at the hospital rolled their eyes when I said I was having bilateral anterior, my surgeon is new and he is the only one in this hospital that does it, he actually brought it here as we are in a rural area but he comes highly recommended, anyway
there's no turning back now


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Hi @Hippalong, I'm Home from my preop, now we get to wait..., I got to see my physician's assistant not my physician himself but spent quite a bit of time asking questions and working it out


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi glad all went Well, I still have to go to a group physiotherapy meeting yet but got to know a lot today, are you having spinal anaesthesia?
 
Yes, spinal anesthesia hoping I don't need a catheter but it's a long surgery because they are doing both hips probably 4 to 5 hours, I was hoping to be back to work in 8 to 10 weeks but he said it would be more like 12 to 16 which was discouraging but again you never know till you're on the other side which I guess we will find out soon, they are not sending me to a class and I have no PT other than what they give me in the hospital for at least two weeks and then we will decide at my first appointment post op


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I attended my pre-op class last week and received a reacher and some other tools. A PT talked about the various restrictions and showed videos on navigating safely with the walker, dressing using the reaching tool, and other routine activities. A nurse practitioner talked more generally about what to expect, and answered questions.
A nurse who works on the orthopedic ward also talked to us about pain control, what to expect during the stay, not trying to go to the bathroom on your own in the hospital, because then you may fall--that one surprised me; apparently it is enough of an issue that she talked about it and made a point of saying they are professionals who are there to help and are prepared to see you use the toilet :scaredycat:. She also talked about the narcotic induced constipation; it seemed to me she spent the majority of her time talking about poop!:heehee:

Next Tuesday I have my pre-op appt and meeting with the anesthesiologist. Getting closer!
 
@gaulsuerou thanks for the picture! I played with the one on my surgeon had on his desk. I think he was watching carefully to make sure i did'nt take it home with me ;) I thought a catheter was inevitable and unavoidable, but anyway i hope its out of there before i know what going on ! On what Ive read and heard, your estimated recovery should be plenty of time yes? Its best not to rush though , i talked to a couple of people who regretted being to active too soon with their THR, because they feel( and i think their drs told them) that the life of their hip was greatly reduced because they were to active too soon.
 
@Hippalong Hi hip buddy ;) yes i got a "grabber" in the mail. I can see it coming in very handy picking things up. I hopefully will be home in 4 days, self caring, so i want to be all over the details. I have a thing to sit over the toilet, and a shower chair. Heaps of food ready. But if the surgeon required it, ill go for a week of rehab, but id rather get home. I think its going to help that i have strong abdominal muscles( for sitting up in bed etc). I also try to stretch as much as i can. Hamstrings yes!. It helped a great deal to get my sock on my left foot!!! i.e. i can bend down there, though still its dizzily, exquisitely, painful :) Also as luck would have it , i have foot fungus to treat with steroid cream ( never in my life but it would now!), so i'm damned if anything like that will keep me from getting my hip fixed ! :) So spinal anesthesia is a bit scary, but he said its all smoothly done and i may not even remember it. And that in terms of pain levels, and recovery generally, its a helpful tool they use.
 
Yes, spinal anesthesia hoping I don't need a catheter but it's a long surgery because they are doing both hips probably 4 to 5 hours, I was hoping to be back to work in 8 to 10 weeks but he said it would be more like 12 to 16 which was discouraging but again you never know till you're on the other side which I guess we will find out soon, they are not sending me to a class and I have no PT other than what they give me in the hospital for at least two weeks and then we will decide at my first appointment post op


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
Oh dear you have double the trouble then! It will take some time to get back to normal but will be so worth it, don't you just wish you could bring it forward to tomorrow though and then no more worrying
 
@Hippalong Hi hip buddy ;) yes i got a "grabber" in the mail. I can see it coming in very handy picking things up. I hopefully will be home in 4 days, self caring, so i want to be all over the details. I have a thing to sit over the toilet, and a shower chair. Heaps of food ready. But if the surgeon required it, ill go for a week of rehab, but id rather get home. I think its going to help that i have strong abdominal muscles( for sitting up in bed etc). I also try to stretch as much as i can. Hamstrings yes!. It helped a great deal to get my sock on my left foot!!! i.e. i can bend down there, though still its dizzily, exquisitely, painful :) Also as luck would have it , i have foot fungus to treat with steroid cream ( never in my life but it would now!), so i'm damned if anything like that will keep me from getting my hip fixed ! :) So spinal anesthesia is a bit scary, but he said its all smoothly done and i may not even remember it. And that in terms of pain levels, and recovery generally, its a helpful tool they use.
Hi BlueSkys, i will take any gadgets they give me and will do everything by the book (even though the raised toilet seat will make me feel old) as long as I'm rid of the pain and can go for walks without payback pain
 
Hi nanato1 welcome to july sparklers, you are almost 2 weeks after me, this waiting around is the worst part or so im I'm told
 
[Bonesmart.org] 2017 July Sparklers - Are you having hip surgery in July?
@nanato1, you have been officially added to the July surgery list! You are now officially a July Sparkler!

Welcome to the BoneSmart forum. We’re so pleased that you have joined us here. If you have not started a thread of your own, please do so. Here's a link to tell you how:Starting a new thread and posting With your own thread, you and your questions and concerns will receive the attention they deserve.

For additional help, look in the white heading under the blue, click on Help & Info, then click on How to Use This Forum. Lots of info there to help you navigate the forum.

We are here to help in any way we can because We Care!
 
Hi@BlueSkys, just got back from my preop, I have to go back for my blood work as I am more than two weeks out, rats, but everything went well asked a lot of questions, I got to hold an implant similar to what I am going to get and play with it, it's an older version but I I took a photo
[Bonesmart.org] 2017 July Sparklers - Are you having hip surgery in July?

I am having a spinal as well, all of the nurses at the hospital rolled their eyes when I said I was having bilateral anterior, my surgeon is new and he is the only one in this hospital that does it, he actually brought it here as we are in a rural area but he comes highly recommended, anyway
there's no turning back now


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
Hi gaulsuerou apologies as not getting alerts and this is the first time I have seen the pic you sent! You seem to be well advised and being able to see the implant is amazing! I have not had the pleasure of that yet but it's nice to be able to see your new 'body part' I have spoken to physio today and they are sorting all the gadgets I will need, Ten days and counting
 
@Hippalong . That i need to have the procedure makes me feel prematurely worn out! But just looking at you tube, there are many younger people having them now. Because its down to such a fine art, the materials are so much better, and they will last so much longer. Hopefully ;) That said i met a lady the other day who had hers done in 1978, and she still thinks its great :) Its one of those charnley ?? original ones. Its going to be so great. Its psychological i think, without that constant nagging pain, we shall be revitalized people. @gaulsuerou that will be 2X the outcome for you I'm sure!
 
@Hippalong . That i need to have the procedure makes me feel prematurely worn out! But just looking at you tube, there are many younger people having them now. Because its down to such a fine art, the materials are so much better, and they will last so much longer. Hopefully ;) That said i met a lady the other day who had hers done in 1978, and she still thinks its great :) Its one of those charnley ?? original ones. Its going to be so great. Its psychological i think, without that constant nagging pain, we shall be revitalized people. @gaulsuerou that will be 2X the outcome for you I'm sure!
 
I spoke to a lovely physio yesterday @BlueSkys and she said it's rubbish that surgery is refused because of age (That was one excuse I was given) she said younger people recover really well and i am lucky to have such a forward thinking surgeon! I most certainly will need my right hip replacing in time and possibly both knees. You are right that materials and research are so advanced now and will continue to be, I can't wait to get rid of that constant aching and be able to walk the distance I choose to rather than what my hip allows!! Hopefully we will all have a new lease of life!
 
Back
Top Bottom