Guest viewing is limited

2016 August Hot Shots - Are you having knee surgery in August?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about what to get in advance of my 8/15 surgery- is the raised toilet seat absolutely necessary?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I would think it would be a big help. I already have ADA toilets in my house so I'm not getting one, but I would if I didn't have the higher toilets. The arms would be a great assist for you in getting up too.
 
@thecoll and @zammie24 - There are a few of us mid-forty something's going in this month! I have a bit longer wait but I'm so ready to be done with this crappy knee!

Karen
 
I have brought forward this month's list so that you can easily see who your surgical buddies are.

Welcome to our latest and all August Hot Shots!


[Bonesmart.org] 2016 August Hot Shots - Are you having knee surgery in August?


Feel free post your surgery date in this thread, and I will add you to the list. Start a thread of your own in the Pre-Op Knee Section to post comments and share your journey toward knee replacement. Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

01 August 16 Reanna27, maseko
02 August 16 April Hill (her first)
03 August 16 JustmeT (patellar resurfacing)
05 August 16 Aunty T
08 August 16 Doggiemom
11 August 16 thecoll (her first), Annie11 (her second)
15 August 16 FlaGranny, zammie24
17 August 16 dianehelen, Sipzener
23 August 16 jvbs
24 August 16 karena71, Deeann (her second)
25 August 16 pizzadog
30 August 16 greatlakes
 
Hi,
I wish I felt that way. I wish I didn't have to do the surgery but I pushed it for so long with shots in the knees (both of my knees need surgery) taking medicines ect. now even that does not help.
I don't like the part that I have to be a few days in the hospital and then walk with a walker and crutches and be dependent on people, I am so independent, I like to do my own thing. I realize that it has to be done I just have to do my best and be positive I guess.
 
nonagloria, (and the rest of the Hotshots) best of luck to you also. In a few more days it will be August. Time is beginning to fly by because of all the things I need and want to get done before the surgery. It is overwhelming. I am actually too busy to worry.

Living in the heat and humidity of South Florida , last week I had my leaking old awning windows replaced. The electric bill skyrockets in the summer. That involved so much furniture moving, taking down drapes and blinds and then putting things back. I'm also putting heat shield film on the windows. Not done with that yet. My account page at the electric company is already showing a reduction in usage. Then everything needs to be cleaned, the yard work taken care of, etc. My knees are screaming at me. I'm the kind of person who can let things go, like dusting, etc., but when I can't dust or clean it drives me crazy. :snork:

I haven't been to the gym in two weeks. I must go today. I don't want to lose any strength before the surgery. I hope two weeks off does not set me back. I've been going to the gym regularly for the past two and a half years and have gained a lot from it - improved balance, strength, and flexibility. The gym is my insurance against the frailties of old age.

Just an interesting little tidbit: My OS has a graph on his web page that shows how many knee implants are done in the US and Florida and southeastern states head the list. I guess that is because of retirees moving here from all over the northeast and northern mid-western states with their bad knees.
 
Ok July is speeding along and I attended my joint class yesterday. I learned a lot about how to walk heel to toe after my surgery which is Aug 1.

I heard back on all my labs and my LEG and was told they were beautiful. I plan to tell the anesthesiologist that I am very anxious about this surgery and I don't want to see or hear anything. I was told I would have a Foley inserted after I am asleep. The PA said I will be given a spinal as well.

I work at the medical center where I will have the surgery. I checked the paperwork from the surgeon's doc and thankfully my surgery will be scheduled at 8:00 am. In the joint class there two ladies having hip replacements and I was so afraid I would be last since my doc is doing their surgeries too. One of the ladies is suffering from avascular necrosis and is only 35.

I will come home after discharge and a physical therapist will come to my home for a few weeks. I'm trying mentally and be prepared for whatever pain I can endure. I have a lot of family support.

I am wishing all my surgery buddies well and am so thankful for this website!!
 
Hello all!! At pre surgical testing right now- it's taking too long!!


Mercedes Z - RTKR Aug 15th
 
I don't go to pre-op visit until the 8th, one week before surgery. Time is starting to fly by for me right now because of so much to do to get the house ready and all "ends" tied up. I haven't been thinking about it too much. I don't think I'll "panic" until the right before. One thing I'm happy I did, was ask for refillable prescription last time I had a UTI - just in case. I was worried I would get one before surgery so my doc gave me 2 refills so I could take immediately if I develop one.
 
@FlaGranny Don't think about any complications - positive thinking!! I'm trying not to think about the fact that I'm going on a plane next week (germs!!)


Mercedes Z - RTKR Aug 15th
 
Thanks @dianehelen/ it's funny I had ordered one from Amazon and then realized at the class that they would take care of it at the hospital before my discharge


Mercedes Z - RTKR Aug 15th
 
My name is Beth, and I'm scheduled for a left TKR on August 23. I have no cartilage left in my joint and the dr says I've been bone on bone for a while now. I have osteoarthritis and psoriatic arthritis, my rheumatologist says both are affecting my joints. I am officially off all my psoriatic arthritis drugs as off today as I approach surgery.

I am 55, married, I have 6 kids, some are step, but I refuse to remember which ones. I am expecting our 14th grandchild in November, and I have an 8 month old great grandson.
 
Hi Beth, Welcome to Hot Shots. I have OA and also an inflammatory arthritis (psoriatic? - not sure). What did you take Humira or Enbrel? How does it work for you? I took Enbrel (leftovers from returns) the doctor gave me, but only 4 injections, so I never took it long enough to see if it would work. I might want to try again.
 
[Bonesmart.org] 2016 August Hot Shots - Are you having knee surgery in August?
@jvbs, you have been officially added to the August surgery list! You are now officially an August Hot Shot!

Welcome to the BoneSmart forum. We’re so pleased that you have joined us here. If you have not started a thread of your own, please do so. With your own thread, you and your questions and concerns will receive the attention they deserve.

We are here to help in any way we can because We Care!
 
Hi Beth, Welcome to Hot Shots. I have OA and also an inflammatory arthritis (psoriatic? - not sure). What did you take Humira or Enbrel? How does it work for you? I took Enbrel (leftovers from returns) the doctor gave me, but only 4 injections, so I never took it long enough to see if it would work. I might want to try again.


I've actually been on Remicade for almost 9 years. Every 6 weeks I go for a 3 hour IV infusion. It's been working until the last 6 months or so. Rheumy thinks that the inflammation from the knee is throwing off the Remicade, too much going on. Unfortunately, I have to be off all my immunosuppressants for at least 4 weeks before surgery and up to 8 weeks after, depending on how I heal.

Most people with psoriatic arthritis have some place on their body with psoriasis. Do you have a regular rheumatologist? I didn't even realize that I had psoriasis until my rheumy found it on my scalp and my right foot.
 
I have had skin problems that my dermatologist thought could be a form of psoriasis, but I never got it biopsied. The dermatologist saw it when it was healed with only some faint redness left. It is extremely sporadic. I go months or even years with nothing, then it comes back. I do have a couple of spots on my head that become scaly, but not red or inflamed. The rheumatologist isn't sure because he has never seen the rash either. I do have the symptoms and CT findings that are fairly specific to psoriatic arthritis. I tried Enbrel and gave myself 3 of the injections. I wasn't sure it was working because I had Depo-Medrol injections at the same time I started and when they wore off I started to feel worse, but the Enbrel could have been working. Psoriasis does run in the family as my mother's sister had it and so does her daughter (my cousin).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom