Guest viewing is limited

2016 April Rainbows - Are you having knee surgery in April?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Judy! Finding this group a couple of weeks ago kept me from chickening out of the surgery! I had to see a Physical Therapist to rule out that fixing my arthritic, no cartilage knees, so the insurance would give ok to have the bilateral total knee replacement. He is totally against doing both knees at once, and really tried to talk me out of it. I came home so discouraged and afraid. Later that day I found Bonesmart, and read several stories about BTKR. Even the stories with some serious challenges faced stated that the person would choose BTKR again, and that helped me keep moving forward.

My right knee has been unable to straighten for a few years, and I am now working in PT to straighten it as much as possible before surgery. In the last 2 weeks, I have gone from 22 to 12, and gotten the PT on board with my decision to do both knees. My OS is really supportive, and I am feeling much more positive! Thanks to the information I have gotten here, I am working on the PT ahead of time about not stressing the no pain no gain protocol.

I still have to work on my thinking daily to not let apprehension overcome me, but I am winning! My mom had BTkT at age 75, and breezed through it, so I can do this! April 21 will be here soon :)

Thanks for being here!
 
I have brought forward this month's list so that you can easily see who your surgical buddies are.

Welcome to our latest and all April Rainbows!



[Bonesmart.org] 2016 April Rainbows - Are you having knee surgery in April?


Feel free post your surgery date in this thread, and I will add you to the list. Start a thread of your own in the Pre-Op Knee Section to post comments and share your journey toward knee replacement. Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

04 April 16 GimpyGal (her second)
06 April 16 conrn (her second)
07 April 16 PmpknPie13
11 April 16 Annie11
12 April 16 silty1
13 April 16 Carolina Writer (bilateral)
14 April 16 beaglador
19 April 16 Jane B. (her second)
20 April 16 swmrgirl (her second)
21 April 16 Tabbycat, Geepsmom (bilateral)
27 April 16 Alaris
29 April 16 skiwizz (her second)
 
Surgery day is getting closer and closer - a week from today. I went for my consult with the surgeon's assistant yesterday to go over everything that will be done and to sign my paperwork. The anesthesiologist will be calling me next Wed to discuss all of that fun kind of stuff. I am no longer as anxious about my IV as I am about having to get a spinal anesthetic!!!!! From what I've read and heard from talking to the assistant, they give you a local to numb the area and the pain is no more than having blood drawn and then the other meds are injected. Not sure how I feel about being completely numb from the waist down. I could use to help/reassurance for this part of my experience :gaah::oyvey::groan:
 
Surgery day is getting closer and closer - a week from today. I went for my consult with the surgeon's assistant yesterday to go over everything that will be done and to sign my paperwork. The anesthesiologist will be calling me next Wed to discuss all of that fun kind of stuff. I am no longer as anxious about my IV as I am about having to get a spinal anesthetic!!!!! From what I've read and heard from talking to the assistant, they give you a local to numb the area and the pain is no more than having blood drawn and then the other meds are injected. Not sure how I feel about being completely numb from the waist down. I could use to help/reassurance for this part of my experience :gaah::oyvey::groan:
I'm sure this is much like an epidural when giving birth - which wasn't bad and I dont remember even feeling "numb' just not feeling the pain! :chillpill:
 
6 more days until I start this adventure again with a RTKR, had a LTKR 12/28. So I am now without any Nsaids and I will not cheat, I did last time and my surgeon said I bled (he didn't know I slipped myself a few doses of ibuprofen.) I am packing my "hospital undies" and pedal pushers......I can do this!!!:heehee:
 
Hi @Geepsmom, we'll be surgery buddies on the 21st! It helps so much to know we are not alone in going through this. I'm like you, trying to keep positive, but I admit the nerves are kicking in big time already :sos:
I'm thinking of you as we prepare for this experience :thumb:
Love from Tabbycat :kittykiss:
PS is that your jewellery in the picture - looks lovely!
 
Hi Tabbycat! Yes we will be surgery buddies :). And yes, the nerves are definitely working on me...trouble going to sleep with all the thoughts! I keep reminding myself that my life is just too limited with my worn out knees like they are. The new knees are bound to be better! What an adventure we have signed up for! Here's to splendid surgery and smooth recovery for us both!

Yes, that is my jewelry in the photo. I am in an art cooperative gallery in Glenwood Springs, CO. Making jewelry is my therapy :). Off to the studio to distract myself now! 20 days and counting :)
 
Hi @Geepsmom,it is good to have a therapy, and a creative one is so beneficial. I've done some jewellery making too, I love working with crystals and had a go at bead stringing patterns - they take some concentration! Lately I'm more into sewing lavender hearts (any excuse not to do the mending!).
Anytime you want to talk, just give a shout, this forum is keeping me sane at the moment :yes:
Love, Tabbycat :kittykiss:
 
My second knee April 29th!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
[Bonesmart.org] 2016 April Rainbows - Are you having knee surgery in April?
@skiwizz, you have been officially added to the April surgery list! You are now an April Rainbow!

Welcome to the BoneSmart forum. We’re so pleased that you have joined us here. If you have not started a thread of your own, please do so. With your own thread, you and your questions and concerns will receive the attention they deserve.

We are here to help in any way we can because We Care!
 
My second knee replacement will be April 21 and I can't wait to have 2 straight legs! Last surgery was Jan. 7th and recovery is slow and steady which for me is good. Looking forward to being able to keep up with my young granddaughters much better.
 
:wave:@Grandma new knee, welcome to the April Rainbows, that's three of us on the 21st :flwrysmile:
 
I'm down for April 4th *gulp* Do I really have to be first? Can someone give me 'credit' for my LTKR? Monday will be my second!

Now, I need to follow all your posts. We can do this!
 
April 18th surgery date. Seeing anesthesiologist, pt, ot, and nurse tomorrow.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom