2014 June Sunbeams - Are you having knee surgery in June?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I have had this bum left knee for over 10 years now. I went thru arthroscopic surgery, physical therapy, injections, supplements, celebrex, etc. and now have come to the last recourse - replacement. I held out as long as possible because I am a naturopath-type at heart. While I am a bit scared, I am thankful the surgery is an option, as it was for my hip replacement two years ago. Looking for relief and returning to activities I love, like kayaking.

I will look for a photo to update profile - perhaps one with a yellow kayak crossing Narragansett Bay - kayaking in the ocean.....I love it! Hope to get out one day before surgery June 9 but the ocean temp is still in only in the 50s in RI.

Wondering if rehab is what most do after knee replacement vs going home. I think my Dr. sends patients home. My husband is there to help, but goes to work also. I went home right after THR but I the Dr. said the knee surgery is not so easy or quick recovery. I will look in the library here for more info. Thanks for the support and info you provide here! I have recommended this site to others and will continue to do so.
I received some therapy in the hospital, at home therapy, and then the doctor released me to drive so I could continue therapy at a facility. The therapy is as important as the surgery. My first surgery was so successful, relatively pain-free, and the new knee is so great, that I'm having the second knee totally replaced on June 2, less than 6 months after the first. Best of luck to you. It's not as bad as you think, and soon you'll be pain-free!



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hi, I just signed up for the forums here on Bonesmart, my LTKR is scheduled for Friday June 6 in Wilmington, DE.
 
I have brought forward this month's list so that you can easily see who your surgical buddies are.

Welcome to our latest and all June Sunbeams!


[Bonesmart.org] 2014 June Sunbeams - Are you having knee surgery in June?


Feel free post your surgery date in this thread, and I will add you to the list. However, please start a thread of your own in the Pre-Op Knee Section to post comments and share your journey toward knee replacement. Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

02 June 14 @busylizzie (her second revision), @kneeper (her second), @lori2869 (bilateral), @truckinguy (his second),@Gatornet, @Tina65 (her second)
03 June 14 @tschrade (her second), @Pjcopela, @htrevino76, @SunnyMorning
05 June 14 @Tina65, @kloewent, @Goofyme9
06 June 14 @ldecker888
09 June 14 @Midwest knees (her second), @DanaDelight, @woodsy, @Gweilo19
10 June 14 @Touretteswalker, @sf-slim, @Gingiebot, @megabrew
11 June 14 @Texan (her second), @blowin1 (revision), @GrandmaKatie, @Layla290 (bilateral)@Racey (bilateral)
13 June 14 @Lemonslikethefruit (her first)
16 June 14 @Lemonslikethefruit (her second)
17 June 14 @limpy7 (revision), @charlie776
23 June 14 @Loislu, @cocodelight, @Big Tuna, @Mommy5
24 June 14 @Josie B (her second)
26 June 14 @tenncatfan (bilateral)
30 June 14 @lemsyd
 
Regarding Wheaton jewelers, window shopping was about as far as I ever got. I will have to ask my friend Linda.

So I have now learned I am to be envied for having an excuse for not having to shave my leg(s) for a while (LOL) and have moved on to obsessing about nerve block catheters being inserted.

8 more days!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Gweilo
Any chance your are getting your new knees at Lutheren General? If you are, I'm two weeks behind you and I'd be interested to hear about your experience.
 
Hi, big tuna--I'm actually out further northwest. At a centegra hospital. It's been interesting doing the research and seeing there are so many different protocols. You're in good hands at your hospital. I work pretty close to it and have heard only good things from previous patients and their family and friends.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@charlie776 Welcome to this site and this odd collection of broken-down parts people. I heard they are lasting longer as technology has improved. I look at it this way, the younger the better your recovery. And we don't want to wait until our legs are curved and really a mess. So now is the time!

I also am going to rehab, my OS says about a week. I'd rather get the pain meds under control and mobility before I come home. I'm in July a month after you so you can show me the way. tee hee.
 
Please add me to the June Sunbeams. Scheduled for BTKR on June 11 (postponed from 5/21) in Austin, TX. Shout out to all the Sunbeams. Really loving this site.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum


Let us know how it goes for you!!! I'm scheduled for bilateral TKR June 13 & 16. Good Luck!
 
Hi, this is my first post.
I too am having TKR on June 10th.
I'm fearful, not so much about the surgery, but the aftermath and especially the outcome .


My surgeries are June 13 & 16. Sounds like we are all in the same boat, the fear and apprehension boat!
I, too, am not worrying about the surgery, I think it will be the easiest part. Like you the aftermath and outcome scares me. I have talked to numerous people who have or know someone who has had the surgery and they have had good outcomes. Everyone says that it will be a painful process but gets better as it goes. EVERYONE has stressed to make sure you do all the THERAPY that you can and don't skip any!! Sounds like therapy will be the key. Good Luck. If you can, let us know how it goes on the 10th!
 
Please add me to the June Sunbeams. Scheduled for BTKR on June 11 (postponed from 5/21) in Austin, TX. Shout out to all the Sunbeams. Really loving this site.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
Post how you are doing, if you can!!! Good luck!
 
I WORK for a total joint replacement surgeon and I am still very nervous!! I am not worried about the surgery as they could do these with their eyes closed...they wont but they could!!!! As an independent woman I am nervous about how long it will be before I can take care of myself again and get my life back !!
 
My left TKR is scheduled for June 23rd at Froedtert in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I had a knee injury in 2009 resulting in surgery and subsequent fungal infection requiring 5 surgeries in three months time as well as a PICC placement and 8 weeks of daily IV treatments. Looking forward to getting my life back! Prior to my injury I walked 5-10 miles per day.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Please add me to the June list. Confirmed LTKR on June 24. I had RTKR on May 20. I think things have gone pretty well for the first one considering the surgery itself, but I'm not jumping for joy to do it again so soon. That said. I think I'd be depressed to keep putting it off too. Long summer.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm having my RTKR on June 2. I had my left knee replaced on January 15, 2014, and it has been so wonderful, that the unreplaced knee is impeding my recovery and HURTS! I'm opting to get the right one done sooner rather than later.
I need to move over to post-op now, but am unsure just how to do it. This second knee was not as easy for me or the doctor. The surgery lasted over 3 hours! My doctor had to correct 14 degrees. I'm no longer bowlegged, in fact I'm knock kneed now, although only a few days out it's hard to say what will be permanent. Because of the length of the surgery and the correction needed, I'm much more bruised and swollen, but still glad I did it. I just couldn't take the pain anymore and the lack of mobility.

I do have an odd question I haven't seen addressed. Following surgery, I noticed a feeling of something catching underneath my ribs. What I imagine a hernia would be like. It s a bit painful when it catches. Anyone ever hear of this?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom