Guest viewing is limited

2014 December SuperNovas - Are you having knee surgery in December?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,
I'm new here so hope this is the right place!
Getting both knees done at the same time on December 2nd. Almost 50 and never been in the hospital, besides emergency room..I've only had a (very) small hernia fixed that had me doing pushups in three days so I'm extremely nervous! I am, however, looking forward to being able to go up a flight of 14 stairs in less than minute, to be able to walk the aisles of the grocery store for more than 20 minutes without having to take something for pain and to be able to play with my kids, you know, besides card/board games.

OK, you may be interested in this publication although it doesn't quite apply to your case:
Bilateral TKA staged at 1-week intervals deemed safe alternative in select patients
For patients with advanced degenerative disease and deformities of both knees who desire a single rehabilitation period, staging total knee arthroplasty in each knee a week apart is a safe alternative, particularly for patients with medical comorbidities precluding a simultaneous operation, according to study results.
https://www.healio.com/orthopedics/...ents?ecp=3AFF1BFD-89A0-E111-8688-A4BADB296AA8
 
I have brought forward this month's list so that you can easily see who your surgical buddies are.


Welcome to our latest and all December SuperNovas!


[Bonesmart.org] 2014 December SuperNovas - Are you having knee surgery in December?


Feel free post your surgery date in this thread, and I will add you to the list. Please do not chit-chat in this thread. Start a thread of your own in the Pre-Op Knee Section to post comments and share your journey toward knee replacement. Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

01 December 14 Tisipoohbear, Remy, yyaggs
02 December 14 Alfie (her first), chicklady, Drachenschwanz (bilateral), Madslax11
04 December 14 Patti58, martizan46 (bilateral)
06 December 14 Ellejay (her second)
08 December 14 sumpdiver, Poppix2 (his first), wagoncab
11 December 14 Toomuchfun (his second)
15 December 14 kvhundley, Holly, msleen (her second), aliensweetie
16 December 14 lunula, fiberlady (her second), Alsvid, Poulin
17 December 14 jude2014
18 December 14 jcsmoke
22 December 14 lavender
27 December 14 kweh
30 December 14 treypops
 
I'm going in for TKR on the left knee on December 18th. I'm looking forward to getting this done. This a great site, Im glad I found it.
 
[Bonesmart.org] 2014 December SuperNovas - Are you having knee surgery in December?


December is the month of miracles and, SuperNovas, yours is just beginning! Here's to you...the soon-to-be bright new shining BoneSmart stars bursting forth into your new, more active lives!
If you're having surgery in December, please post here and join the group. It is so helpful to have the support of others who will go through the waiting for surgery and recovery together.


Hi, I have just seen my surgeon and will be having my right knee done on December 17th. I am pleased about this but also slightly nervous. I have found this site to be very helpful.
 
I am so nervous, I have preop blood work next week, my joint class Nov 24th and pt on that Friday to teach me how to walk with a crutch ...my surgery is scheduled @ 10:30 and the left knee 6 weeks after that. We need to keep each other positive.
Well, we've got less than two weeks -- can you believe it!! I'm actually very excited and ready to get it done and on with my recovery. I'm hoping for a steady recovery so my husband and I can hike the Grand Canyon and a few other national parks in September. I'm a walker/hiker for a few years and have missed that aspect of my life more than anything. It will be wonderful to get out there again. I'm keeping a very positive outlook and am sure we will both (all of us) will be fine. Have you been keeping up with the exercises recommended before surgery? I've been pretty faithful about them. Got most of my Christmas shopping done and will decorate abit around the house this weekend. Thanksgiving, and then the 1st and it's "go time". I will try to message you Tisipoohbear privately. I'm thinking of you and know we're going to be feeling pretty good in January! Stay positive!
 
Well, we've got less than two weeks -- can you believe it!! I'm actually very excited and ready to get it done and on with my recovery. I'm hoping for a steady recovery so my husband and I can hike the Grand Canyon and a few other national parks in September. I'm a walker/hiker for a few years and have missed that aspect of my life more than anything. It will be wonderful to get out there again. I'm keeping a very positive outlook and am sure we will both (all of us) will be fine. Have you been keeping up with the exercises recommended before surgery? I've been pretty faithful about them. Got most of my Christmas shopping done and will decorate abit around the house this weekend. Thanksgiving, and then the 1st and it's "go time". I will try to message you Tisipoohbear privately. I'm thinking of you and know we're going to be feeling pretty good in January! Stay positive!
Tisipoohbear - looks like I can't privately message you until I've posted 10 times. I don't think I have that much to say!! I'll check out other posts though. If I see something that can benefit us now, I'll let you know.
 
Everybody getting their i's dotted and t's crossed? It's getting close. Had my blood work done and chest x-ray today and got set up for a tens unit. Only a couple more steps to accomplish and I should be ready. Well, as ready as I'm gonna be, lol. I've got a reclining chair but it doesn't have a foot rest. Trying to come up with something that'll work. Actually found a reclining medical chair, like the one they used today for the heart stickers, on craig's list for about a hundred dollars. It's a really fantastic shade of turquoise, but it would get the job done. It even has collapsible trays built into the sides. When I'm done with it we can re-sell it. Now I just have to convince the wife.

I was up and out all day, 3 appointments for the knees, one for the kids and two hours at COSTCO, making dinner, and herding the boys through homework and bed. It wasn't all that much, really, but I feel like I've been run over by a truck this evening. Both knees are singing, sure, but I'm trying to figure out if the drained feeling is a response to hurting all the time or because I've been slacking off. Probably a little of both, lol.

Anyway, wishing all of my December buddies a great, blissful, pain free night.
 
Oh, scared the **** out of my 8 year old this afternoon...
Told him if all his legos and nerf guns were lying around after surgery and I tripped on one of them, my legs might fall off. His room was spotless at bedtime. He's a nice kid, I think we'll keep him.
 
@kweh Welcome to BoneSmart!!! We can help you with any fears you may have. We were all nervous before surgery! It's a big step....but a good one that can give you your life back. How about starting a thread of your own and telling us a bit more about yourself.
 
My bilateral has just been changed from Nov 26 to Dec 4. My anxiety was high till the call from my DR's ofc., but now have to rev back up.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom