THR 2 weeks post op

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All! The valium has helped my spasms but it definitely knocks me for a loop! I cut them in half for daytime use as I don't want to be a complete blob! I canceled PT today..I just feel it was aggravating the problem and my PT doesn't believe in just massaging and icing and stretching...he is on a mission to strengthen my hip and it has definitely worked but right now it needs some TLC. I hope everyone has a great weekend..and Happy St. Patty's Day!!
 
I am at 6 weeks and I'm not where I was at 4. I canceled PT again today and have an appointment with my OS tomorrow. In the morning I am stiff which I do expect, mostly with cramping in my front thigh between my hip and my knee and walking it off lets me function around the house and do some housework. Usually I take my coffee and cereal back to bed and after eatting something I take 1 Oxycodone and 1/2 a valium. In about 30 minutes I get up and start the day painfree. A little achy but that's workable. The weather here isn't helping me because it snowed and now rain is expected, which definitely affects the joints. Plus it makes going for a walk difficult, so I do laps around the house. Yesterday went to lunch with my friend and drove up to look at the ocean..I walked a bit with the cane and got in and out of her car a couple times. By the time we got home I was cramping and needed a valium. My biggest disappointment is that I am limping worse...I use the cane and try so hard to stand up straight, but that darn cramping on the bottom of the foot works against me!! I can't take a whole valium or I would be sleeping all day! Please..do NOT get discouraged by my setback..I am sure it is something that I did at PT that I probably wasn't ready for..plus living alone with a dog, 2 cats and 3 parrots doesn't help!! Great company....but MESSY!!!LOL
 
[Bonesmart.org] 2 weeks post op
We all need a laugh!!
 
@acbelmar- You poor thing. I suffered terribly with cramps/spasms for about 5wks and still get them on waking. Have you tried all the natural remedies out there such as:-
A teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water(be careful as some baking sodas contain salt)
Magnesium(one a day) supplement taken with B vitamin complex(for absorption)........this really helped me.

Why not check out other natural remedies on line? I guess if they're natural and you are sensible you've got nothing to lose.

Hope this helps

Queenie xxxx
 
Thanks Queenie..I just started taking B complex because my girlfriend who is a nurse said its great for healing. Today the Dr. examined me and he feels I have bursitis in my hip..when he poked it I almost flew off the table! I thought it was just left over from the bruising from the operation. He gave me a cortizone shot (OUCH!) right into the sac and it seems to have eased up. He wants me to forego PT for 2 weeks and just walk. I sure hope this solves some of my pain...time will tell. Thanks for the support!
 
Well that might explain a few things eh? You poor thing. I can only imagine how painful bursitis is.
Spring is in the air. New beginnings on their way. Hopefully now there'll be a more positive feel to your recovery which in turn will fire up your MoJo. :flwrysmile: :happydance:
 
Okay Ladies. This has been weighing on my mind and you are the only ones I feel I can ask this question to. I am going to be 60 on March 30th. I was already feeling old before I found out I needed this surgery..this didn't exactly make me feel young again!! I am a single lady with many single friends with whom I socialize with and I still have hopes of meeting a good man with whom I can share some great memories . I'm embarrassed to ask this..but is it possible to have relations again in a normal way? I don't know if this is a taboo subject..I apologize if I have offended anyone. But there are a lot of young ladies on here younger than me and I'm sure they have the same questions. My doctor says no restrictions..but when you can't even turn your leg enough around to shave it...how can you possible go on to have normal sex? Believe me..I'm not talking about a week from now...but any input on this subject would be greatly appreciated!! And you can say anything..I am very open and not much offends me. Remember..I'm from New Jersey!!LOL
 
Yes you can!!!!

Without being too graphic I can speak from experience and I've had BOTH my hips replaced now. I insisted on being treated like a china doll at first with only certain positions I was willing to try but as time goes on and your body heals things get right back to normal.

Hope this helps.

Queenie xxx

P.s I would advise you to avoid swinging from the chandeliers for a while! X
 
Hi acbelmar. Early happy birthday! There has been a lot of discussion about this-- I asked the same question a few weeks ago-- and there's info in the library here: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/sex-talking-about-sex-after-hip-surgery.3448/

I'm married and we've slowly resumed relations-- I'm only 5 weeks postop so not with great vigor as Queenie said-- but I think things will only get better from here. I get that leg cramp at you're talking about, too-- side effect of anterior approach maybe? -- so I can't easily shave my legs either (fortunately at 58 I don't have a lot of leg hair), and there are some positions that are more comfortable than others, but I had gotten to the point where my hip was so stiff and painful that it was really uncomfortable before surgery; I look forward to having fun again as I heal.
 
Thanks so much for answering!!! I have been dormant for so long(talking years) because I am fussy in my old age..and a few moths back I met a very adorable younger man on vacation. We didn't do anything then..I'm not THAT kind of girl..LOL..but I've decided that if he was the last person I was intimate with before I die..I would die happy!!!!!We've stayed in touch and I am hoping we will connect again..and if the chemistry is the same..well..I am hoping I am healed enough to enjoy a little something something!! Oh yes..and I told a little white lie to him. He was on his way to where we met right after my surgery and asked if I'd be down there. Well..being a few years older then him ( at least 15!) I told him I had a skiing mishap and needed my hip operated on!!! God forgive me but I just couldn't tell him I needed replacement for anrthritis..but of course now I look on here at all the young girls and guys and I know its not neccessarily for seniors!!!Oh well..I'll take it to my grave as far as where he's concerned...he's kind of my fantasy guy.... :blush:
 
BarbaraR Hi Barb!! Yes...the shot of cortizone helped tremendously! I am walking so much better and doing so much more. I'm stiff in the morning which goes away after a few walks around the house and achy at night because I'm doing so much more! Laying off PT has helped rest my IT band too so the cramps have eased up. My podiatrist told me to wear different shoes to stretch my foot muscles because I tend to get plantars fasciitis..I wore different shoes last night when I went out with some friends and I had no cramps last night. How are you coming along? You went back to work,right? I can't believe I have more than a month before I can go back...but I'llbe back a week and have some nasty passenger and I'll wish I was still out!!!LOL!!
 
7 weeks post op. SO much better!!!Hardly getting any cramps and getting around pretty well. I have to concentrate on walking correctly so I don't limp. When I go back to PT I hope they will help me with that. Today was terrible weather wise so I didn't get to walk, but went to lunch with friends who surprised me with an early birthday lunch!! I'm beginning to think I may be able to go back to flying in May...keeping my fingers crossed. Taking the break from PT helped alot..I think I was just doing too much. :egypdance:
 
Hi Everyone!! Hope you all had a great Easter weekend. I have a question for the experts..I went out Saturday for my birthday with a group of friends. Felt good enough to leave the cane home. Had a few cocktails...it was great being out. I woke up today and at first felt fine. but when I tried to clean up a bit because my sister was cooking dinner for us, I had the horrible spasms back in my leg!! They were in the front between the thigh and knee..and I also got them in the back of my leg as well. They were off and on all day . I really thought they were caused by the bursitis and my IT band being irritated. Please tell me...should I take the valium for the spasms and knock off walking for a few days? I didn't walk today because it just hurt too much. I was doing so much better and now this again. I did not dance or trip or fall or anything... I'm at a loss. Please help!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom