THR 2 weeks post op

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, if you click on the heading "Patient Forum" you can see which moderators are online right now, and Josephine isn't, but I'm sure someone will pop in soon.
 
Hi acbelmar, Call the MD asap. Even if they aren't open yet, and have the doctor who is on call, call you back. My post op instructions say to call right away if you have pain that cannot be relieved by the usual methods - ice, rest, elevation, medication - or if you can't bear weight on the limb. They'll evaluate what's going on. Good luck, honey. I'm sorry you're in pain, but I know they'll figure it out and get you back on track.
 
After PT yesterday and a normal grocery shopping trip, I came home and watched tv for a while. When I went to get up, I experienced the most awful pain on my operated side on the outside of my leg between my hip and my knee and it is still there!
And what, pray, were you doing a "normal grocery shop" for at 5 weeks? That is asking for trouble! My best guess is that you have angered your Ilio-tibial (ITB) band and it's complaining like mad! That can be a very severe pain. Most of these issues start with the offending activity and don't reveal themselves until you've had a rest - often in a position of poor posture! Now you need to rest, take pain meds and use acu-pressure massage the painful area.

Acu-pressure massage is applied by making a tight fist of your hand and with the finger knuckles, press really hard on the painful area, making circular motions. This is the one and only occasion where I will ever say, press until it really hurts and then press a bit more! If the pain you are creating this way doesn't stop immediately you lift your hand away, then don't continue but contact your doctor for advise. I'm betting it will though, which will validate my advice. Keep up the pressure for a couple of minutes and then repeat every 10-15 minutes. This will encourage the inflammation and spasm in the muscle to die down.

I very much doubt it's a clot, DVTcs or anything like. You have just done far too much!

BTW, did you do any clamshells or side leg lifts in PT that morning?
 
Josephine..you are right!! The area of the Ilio band is exactly where my cramping has been and this intense pain came on when I was resting! I got up to go to the bathroom and pow!! I couldn't even walk!While waiting for my ride to the Dr.s this morning I walked around as best I could and it seemed to let up. I was finally able to walk normally and then without the cane! It is obvious I disturbed my muscle and it needed to be stretched and massaged. I tried your knuckle method and it has helped. Its so hard to figure out when you are doing too much..I felt great after leaving PT..that is why I stopped for some groceries. My Dr. said WALK WALK WALK..so I walked a little more this weekend..I guess that is why my leg was cramping all weekend. I will slow down and take it easy...like most people I worry about clotting and living alone doesn't help! Thanks for helping me through this...I certainly appreciate it!
 
acbelmar, the clue is in your first sentence - you went to PT and then normal grocery shopping. One or the other but not both! And please don't let anyone push you through PT! If it hurts don't do it.

Dr said walk, walk, walk - that means walk - not chores or all the extras. I know it seems slow at first but recovery is all about finding your limits and resting to be able to try another day. You'll get there!
 
[Bonesmart.org] 2 weeks post op
acbelmar, I have merged your multiple recovery threads. We prefer that you keep everything about your recovery in one thread as we have all your information in one area. This makes it much easier to answer questions or discuss concerns about your situation. Thanks for your cooperation.


Remember that you can "tag" admins or moderators or other members by putting an @ in front of their user name with no space between. Be sure that you have the user name exactly as it appears under their avatar.
 
acbelmar, did your PT give you IT band stretches to do? You stand up and put your hand on a wall, then tip your hips (surgical side) towards the wall. You can do it with your unoperated leg crossed over your operated leg for a bigger stretch. Josephine, thanks for the massage tip. I have IT band soreness on both sides. Your massage tip really helps.
 
Don't thank me, thank my chiropractor! :snork: But I'm glad you found it helpful. Remember to do it often and everywhere there is tenderness.

As an example of its effectiveness, I had a severe episode of combined piriformis, ITB and trochanteric bursitis about 18 months ago. My chiro treated the first two with acu-pressure and my GP the bursa with a cortisone shot! But the ITB has always been chugging away under the surface, out of radar range, so to speak. A few weeks ago, I got caught in a traffic jam, much of which was on an uphill gradient and constantly inching along with my foot hovering over the gas pedal for about an hour really made it hurt. The only way I was able to get through it was to frequently apply this acu-pressure though being in the car, obviously I was a bit limited in area, but it was enough. It was actually so effective that by the time I got home I had no lingering pain or even discomfort. :yay:
 
acbelmar, I am 2 weeks today post surgery. I agree with PT being brutal. I went today, my second time and I have been icing all evening and took pain pills that knocked me out for awhile. I will see how much it helps tomorrow. I think and hope my pain will be so much better tomorrow I feel like I ran a marathon and lost.
 
Thanks everyone!!I will try all these when I get out of bed! Every time I rest for a while that pain is there, but not as bad as it was the first day. I go to PT today and I'm afraid to do the exercises because I am sure that is where I hurt myself! Hopefully the therapist will be kind to me!!!Have a great day everyone!
 
Don't do anything in PT that hurts. You are in charge, and no one but you knows what you're feeling.
 
Amen to that, Sissy!
@Josephine, I want to thank you and your chiropractor, too. I've been doing the accupressure you scribed off and on since yesterday, and it helps tremendously.
Oddly enough, I saw him just this morning and told him how members here are trying out his do-it-yourself acupressure and finding it helpful. He beamed like this :)
 
Hi acbelmar,
Congrats on your surgery! I had mine the same day!!! Second hip. Let me confirm, no 2 surgeries are the same. My first was a breeze. This one? Not so much. OP leg is still longer and causing groin, knee and lower back issues. My pelvis appears to be off. I see the Doc on Tues for confirmation. Since I didnt have any big issues first time I'm trying to be patient. Patience is very difficult for this "A" personality.
Otherwise, I'm feeling good. My stamina needs some time, as does my attention span, but both will come with time. That I know.
You sound like you are doing great, but it does sound like you are pushing. Exercises every hour might be a tad too much. Are you going for outpatient PT? They can guide you.
Ha! I shouldn't be talking. I'm doing the same thing! I'm obsessing about my long leg. I'm doing exercise every time I think of it. If I could, I'd hop on that long leg all day long to push the darn thing down! Just kidding, LOL!!!

Did you get yourself a sock-putter-on-er? That gadget is a godsend! And may I suggest the curly shoe laces that do not need tying. I put the sneaker tongue up and through the first row of laces to hold it in place, put the sneaker on, stand backwards to the bed, and reach behind to untuck the tongue. Magic! I got mine at Payless last hip. They may still have them.
I bought stretch pants for PT. And wear a sweatshirt. I tuch the shirt in the pants so I can look in the mirrow to be sure I am doing my exercises right [I'm leaning left with the pelvis thing].
I am so jealous. My Doc will not let me drive for 6 full weeks, even though it's my left hip. I know I can, but if anything happened my husband would kill me, so I'm waiting the very few more days.
Take care. Mend well.
Don't you love that you have a place to go where people actually understand what you are going through? I love it in here!!!
:-)
Joanne
 
Hi Everyone,
I am not a happy camper. I went to PT yesterday and my therapist told me I would know which exercise aggravated my IT band..I was able to do them all but came home and I am worse than ever! I had no pain while doing them but obviously something is making my leg angry! I am cramping and still having that same pain in my thigh until I walk it off, but it hurts so bad I don't even want to get out of bed! I made an appt with my OS but he's not in until Tuesday!! I feel worse than I did the first week home and I'm walking with a worse limp. I have been so optimistic until now..I was progressing and seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Now these pains are getting to me...the bottom of my foot is even cramping. Ice and heat help temporarily but I feel like just staying in bed. I don't even want to go to PT tomorrow..I'm afraid its making it worse! Sorry for being a cry baby..
 
Hi acbelmar sorry to hear that you are having a tough time of it. Sounds to me like the physio is causing this pain? I understand the muscles etc in the area of our ops need to be working on, but it doesn't sound right that this is debilitating you so much. Are you able to change the person that you see?
 
acbelmar, ouch! I think you're very wise to listen to your body. Skip PT tomorrow, ice, rest, take an extra pain pill if you need to. I think Firebrand has the right idea-- maybe this protocol is the wrong one for you? Did you have anterior approach? I did, and I am not allowed to do straight leg raises-- are you doing them? If so, that could be aggravating your IT band. During the anterior approach, your quads are all stretched out, and it takes a while for them to come back. The home PT wanted me to do the leg raises, but it hurt so much I wasn't doing them and then I found out that the surgeon didn't want me to. (I am doing them on my good leg because my knee is weak on that side.). You are not a crybaby! 5 weeks after surgery I don't think you should be doing anything that causes you so much pain. As you know, I've been overdoing it, too, and I also canceled PT today. Right now, working and a little home exercise and stretching are all I can manage. So I decided that I'll just got to PT on Tuesday-- my day off-- for awhile, and I'll add exercise as I can tolerate. We're so used to being active, but sometimes we have to listen to what our bodies are telling us. Feel better. XO
 
Called the Dr. this morning and he prescribed oxycodone and valium. He said the valium will help the muscle spasms. That's all I really want..to get through this healing time with a little sanity.I feel more relaxed already so I am taking it easy and vegging on the couch!
 
acbelmar, I really feel for you. All of us have gone through so must and to now be taken back a few steps does have its affect on you. One of the worse things that I have noticed is people who have not had anything done knowing more about what you are going through than yourself. I finally told someone this week that I more than anybody should know what I am going through and feeling and no two people feel the same. We have enough to deal with! Hope to see you better soon!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom