THR 2 weeks post op

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Maeve!!
12 days out is still in the early stage of healing!! You need to take it easy! Strengthening is important but so is healing! I believe I did too much too soon and now my muscles are mad at me! Do what you can but don't let the PT push you too much. If you hurt when you're done , tell them! I am having more trouble witht he muscles in my leg than my hip. You can tell if you are getting good PT ..stay on top of things..you are your best advocate!!
 
acbelmar, do see if your doctor would let you try a muscle relaxer instead of the valium. I take flexeril (generic name is cyclobenzaprine) and haven't had any problems with muscle spasms. It doesn't make me sleepy but that is a side effect. You can ask for something like Skelaxin, also a muscle relaxer on the lighter side. They can always adjust the dose to keep the drowsiness at bay. It would be a good time to try it out while your still off work. I'm curious to know what your PT thinks.
 
Maeve,
I agree with acbelmar, you are doing an awful lot for just under two weeks out. Bless your heart, I don't see how you are getting by. I was only doing in-home therapy at that stage. Are you at a rehab facility?
 
Weezi ell, my PT told me she didn't think Muscle relaxer would help. She said I am still swollen..that she can feel the fluid in my leg all the way down to my foot! She said I am still healing and I need to just relax and take it slow. She gave me a good exercise to do..laying on a low surface and putting the operated leg over the side to touch the floor with my hip extended out. It really stretched the muscles that needed it. I am resigned to the fact I am a slow healer and I need to walk slower, a shorter time and go easy on my hip. No more pushing. Besides..when I think about what I do around the house ..I'm no slouch!!!
 
:thankyou: Thank you Weezi and@acbelmar.
You have confirmed what I thought....don't overdo it! I am in rehab and since I'm here I guess I just tend to push myself...andbthe physios push too!!
On Sunday I go home and come back here twice a week for back to back gym/ hydro on Mon and Wed. Apart from that I am going tto learn from both of you and only do walking and hopefully some massage as well.
On an intellectual level I knew it would be a long hard haul but the reality of what. That means is only just hitting!
I am following your threads very closely so I can try to "shadow" the improvements you make. Thanks so much for your support.
 
Hi Everyone!!!
Well, I am finally going back to work! It will be 3 months exactly from the date of my surgery. I am not 100% but getting there and my new PT has helped tremendously! I am still stiff when I get up after sitting or driving in the car, and I'm still learning to walk properly again! I am limping a bit, and bring that darn cane with me because if I get tired I feel I need it! I'll be working in First Class going to Hawaii, with very good friends, so I'll have help and understanding. I got super-duper support hose to wear and I will practice pulling my luggage before I go. I wanted to thank everyone on here who went through this journey with me. I couldn't have done it without the support of the people on here who understand and are so knowledgeable about hip surgery. I will stop in and catch up with everyone..I'm still worried about our Eagle friend..good luck to all of you!!
Adrienne
 
[Bonesmart.org] 2 weeks post op
Hope everything goes well with getting back to work. Always cut yourself a little slack---good to know you'll be working with others that will be helpful. Do keep us updated---we want to know how you're doing!

Take care and don't be a stranger. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] 2 weeks post op
 
What a star acbelmar!
That's a big call but you are so well prepared...mentally too.
Very smart move to take the cane and I'm sure you'll pace yourself as well as you can in such a busy environment. Hope you plan restbonly when you are home for the first few weeks! :)
 
acbelmar great to see that you are ready to go back to work. We all have to face that day. I hope all goes well for you. Traveling to Hawaii should help somewhat too...lol. I suppose you have been there tons of times, it goes with the job but still the scenery should uplift your spirits. You said you felt that the stretching helped you the more than the exercises while doing PT. I am starting PT next week and I might have to impress my PT to go that route. The stretching makes sense to be able to work the muscles. I had very little muscle stretching my first time around with hip surgery and I got lots of spasms. Take care and please continue to post, your recovery journey isn't over yet and we are all still here to support you as you support us too.
 
acbelmar Adrienne what a wonderful jolt, to be able to go back to work on the best route of all :) I've enjoyed your posts wherever they pop up, and I wish you a "honeymoon" maiden voyage, and a looooong layover in Hawaii!:yes!:
 
Hi my Hippy friends...
Well, not such good news to report on my trip back to work. It seems my head was ready to fly again but my poor hip wasn't!! I started off great but as the flight out continued, my leg started to really bother me. My groin and the back of my leg really ached. We take a 3 hour break on this 10 hour flight and I think sitting for that long hurt me. I rested on the layover and went to the beach..the water really felt wonderful!! I stretched and iced my bad spots, and I felt better at the start of the return flight, but by the time we landed in Newark I was limping bad. Almost asked for a wheelchair!!! I made it home to some very happy animals..iced and relaxed. I have PT today so I am sure she will tell me to take another week off. I am so disappointed but people don't realize how physical our job is and I used muscles all over I haven't used in a while. So I guess I will be grounded for a bit until I can find my aches gone!! Hope everyone else is doing great!!
 
Oh dear acbelmar,
Too much too early! I can't even imagine being a passenger on a flight so early in recovery let alone working as crew. It must have been exhausting and quite traumatic. I really feel for you.
A few more weeks recovery are called for! :console2:
 
I'm sorry your first day was so rough. I know you are ready to get back. Your job is very demanding. hours on your feet for the first time in months is quite an adjustment. Maybe if your first flight wasn't a long one it would not have been so bad. I know if I sit too long I get so stiff, so I can imagine what it must have felt like after sitting 3 hrs. Rest, ice and regroup. next time will be easier.
 
oh acbelmar "the good and the bad", right? Good thing it was a beach you could unwind on :) I have the utmost respect for the stevedore aspect of flight-attendant-ing. Wrestling that cart uphill for hours.... etc etc. I bet it was wonderful to be with your friends, and I also bet they will totally understand you having to be grounded for a little while longer. Maybe you can sign up for some really short hops to start with? :)
 
acbelmar, sorry about the set back but it's probably just going to take time to get all those muscles working again. You did well your first time back. Your work takes a lot of energy and stamina, it will come back. I hope the PT works fast for you....take care, don't push too hard.
 
Hi everyone..thanks for the encouragement! I was supposed to go back to Hawaii on Sunday but I gave it to a friend and I'm going to try a Punta Cana turn on Tuesday. Went to PT yesterday and she worked out some of the stiffness..she thinks its a combo of cabin pressure, working new muscles, and my hip and leg still healing. If Punta Cana doesn't work I guess I will try Florida..these are turns so I end up home again, and these days can be long as well because these are the flights that tend to be delayed because of weather, traffic, etc. I'll keep my fingers crossed that by the 19th I'll feel good enough for Hawaii again!
 
@ acbelmar, You need to continue posting about your travels so I can live vicariously through you:heehee: Hawaii is my most favorite place to be. We are actually planning on going there again in a few years. Our next trip will be to Oahu and the big island again. We were in Maui and Kauai last year for 2 weeks. When we retire we are planning to go there and stay until I get tired of it or homesick for my kids... Anyway a little sidetracked, sorry. It sounds like you have a good plan for getting back to work and a good PT that's working well with you. You have challenges in your job, I suppose you can't just sit down and relax if you feel your leg is starting to ache. I hope your next flight goes so much better.
 
Hello everyone

It really is encouraging to read people's journeys on this site following a thr. While all are different positive progress towards health and wellness comes with time. I need to remember that as things have been a bit rocky since my rthr 11 days ago ..... It seems a lot longer than that. I had to be re admitted due to a spinal fluid leak and off the chart headaches ... Sorted now I hope. Still have really painful muscle tenderness above and below the knee and as for the pain at the back of the knee don't ask. Coupled to this my haemogloblin is only 9 so I feel washed out most of the time. He'll I sound like a wreck here but I console myself with the fact that my hip was pretty much trashed from 30 years of surfing, triathlons and anything else that got the adrenaline flowing so I just have to dial back my enthusiasm to get on my bike for a few weeks anyway.

Thanks again everyone for your stories it puts perspective on my journey to recovery.

Patrick
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom