THR 2 weeks post op....is it normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Baybee
You do sound a bit like an over-achiever! Relax like everyone says. This healing is a slow steady process with its ups and downs. Pampering and TLC from others is strongly recommended.

My daughter is fairly good, but it's not natural. She's use to Mom doing everything and I'm having to remind her that I'm still healing, even after 16 weeks. Don't rush yourself and give others a chance to do all the mundane activities plus the loving ones.

I hope you keep posting and keep improving
 
Glad to hear you backed off a little. I found that ice, pain meds and elevation are life savers during this process of recovery. And, yes, the combo is the big culprit. I felt the same way in the beginning....like...this isn't so bad...I can do this! Here I am, 34 days later, cane free! I wish the same for you, if not sooner!
 
@Baybee Hi, just catching up after sticking my head under the duvet for a few days, how is the recovery going?
 
@ AndyH99 I feel like I'm doing pretty well. I get around my house usually without an aid. I really really have to try to remember that just because I feel like I CAN do it doesn't mean I SHOULD do it! Hope you are doing well!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Lol - I know that statement very well, I'm getting up out of the chair occasionally and thinking should I take my sticks or try walking unaided, the very fact that I have to ask myself that question is its own answer thank heavens May common sense prevail for all of us!

As for my recovery, it's getting back on track again now I'm out of the slump. Fingers crossed it keeps that way.

Have a great recovery day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Stopping in to say hello @Baybee
Your PT sounds amazing. It's hard to imagine doing those things so soon after surgery. oh, jeez.. the stomach butterflies are back!
Thank you for your updates!!
 
I was 2 weeks post op yesterday. I have had only 2 rounds of outpatient PT due to last weekends holiday weekend and my therapist being out and then I had some tummy troubles. Ever since I had those 2 PT sessions I have had increased groin pain. I must admit to being a bad girl and not doing my PT home exercises as I'm trying to give my groin a chance to feel better. So far I'm still having some groin pain and I find myself feeling guilty about taking any pain medicine. My OS and my family have asked me if I have started to "cut back" on the pain meds so I guess I feel like I'm being a weakling if I take it. I also feel guilty about not being at work. Granted I have been working from home and in the 2 weeks since my surgery I have wracked up 34.5 hrs of working from home.....are these feelings normal?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
What you're describing is perfectly normal for someone who is a mere two weeks out from major surgery and who is over doing it in terms of activity. Sorry to be so blunt, Baybee, but please go back and reread the recovery articles posted for you earlier in your thread. Pay special attention to the information about how long recovery takes. You're pushing it by trying to work and not resting, icing and elevating. And it's obvious with that groin pain that you should still be on some type of pain medication. You have surgical pain! You're still healing both inside and out!

Please ignore the people (yes, even your surgeon if he himself is telling you that....or is it one of his staff?) who are advising you to cut back on meds. Put aside those guilt feelings about work or home chores. This is your time to heal. Your body must be allowed to mend. You have pain and it needs to be managed. If your surgeon is insisting that you need to taper off whatever medication he has prescribed, ask for a step down medication such as Tramadol. Or work with your GP for pain management. You have the right to insist that your medical team helps you manage your pain. If you've tried using the full dose of Tylenol (1000mg each dose up to 4 times a day at least 4 hours apart) and that's not working, it's time to communicate that to your surgeon or your GP. They should be your partners in this healing process.

You may notice that I have merged your two threads. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you.

Oh, and you are definitely NOT a bad girl for not doing your exercises at home. Walking about is plenty of exercise for hips and to do them when you are hurting will just make things worse. Get the pain under control and then you can think about increasing exercise.

What exercises have you been given to do at home and how often? You know, hips don't really need a lot of formal exercises. They do just fine healing all by themselves supplemented with some walking.
 
@Baybee my only comment is to refer you back to the mantras, only a couple of weeks in and taking so much on is a major strain irrespective of how good progress might feel. Please, give yourself the chance to recover and heal, work will wait and home stuff can always slide till later when you don't hurt so much. My OS said one key thing to me, 50% of the work is him, 50% is me, if I screw up my bit of the recovery by not looking after myself and healing right it will be on my shoulders!

Please take care and try to have a great recovery day!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Baybee I think you're doing great and can't believe anyone is encouraging you to cut bad or stop pain meds s soon! I can't even imagine cutting back my pain pills as soon as next week, I'm not too far behind you, 8 days out. By 3.5 hours I'm waiting for the time I can take that next dose. My doctor did cut back my mg when I left the hospital and reduced it to the minimum, 5mg every 4 hours at home which is working well enough until it starts to wear off. Maybe in a week or more I'll be able to change to a lower level pain med, but I really dont anticipate being able to stop any time soon. Also, my OS doesn't believe in PT so I haven't been doing any except walking and ankle pumps. I have tried a few times t do the seatd knee presses an boy does that hurt, glad he doesn't prescribe them and can see how PT could cause issues and more pain so early in the healing process. I just try to walk gently, slowly, every hour or two at a min for just 5 min...usually ends up being more like 10-15 min. Take care and I hope your groin is feeling better. My thigh is what hurts me.
 
I still have groin pain (well...more like an ache now....it's not like it was pre-op) and have found icing really helps. But, I have determined that it only hurts when I over do it. So, guess what? I don't do that anymore and the pain has disappeared. Hope your pain subsides soon. :)
 
Had my third outpatient PT session today and discussed my groin pain. He told me to take it extra easy on my groin and if any of the exercises bother my groin then don't do them. He did some gentle stretching before I did my exercises and I actually felt better. I mentioned to my PT that I thought my op leg was now longer than my non op leg and he said that many times it just seems that way because of a tight tilted pelvis. He stretched hips and pelvis 3 different times and guess what?!.....I was right, my op leg IS now longer than my left non op leg. Any idea if this is fairly common after THR? It's much less noticeable if I have on shoes but if I'm barefooted it's really noticeable.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Baybee, please don't assume that one leg is longer than the other just yet. You're barely out of surgery and it can take months for your tilted pelvis to normalize. Please read this article from our library on this subject:

Leg Length Discrepancy


It is quite normal to feel this way for a while. Walking will help things readjust. Just don't use any lifts in your shoe to "equalize" your legs. If you do that, your hips will not be able to realign themselves.

I don't know why your therapist would say this to you after he told you the correct information about having a tilted pelvis from compensation for your bad hip. But it's not possible for him to just stretch it out in one session. It doesn't work that way. It takes time and your body will readjust itself....no stretching needed.
 
@Baybee Hi, Bilateral Jim here. Healing is the only option. Most of the people here know what you're going through, been there and done that. The question is if you are helping the healing process or are you not helping the process. When you have groin pain? When you get Dizzy? 34.5 hours of work at home? All in two weeks? Relax and heal! Slow down and smell some roses. It will work, oh,sorry, it will get better.
 
Hi @Baybee I don't know whether or not an "actual" discrepency is common or not, but I'm thinking the "feeling" of one is pretty common like Jamie said. My leg feels longer too. This is one of the questions I've written down to ask at my follow-up appt. on Thurs. I hope yours resolves for you soon. Take care.
 
Hi @Baybee
I thought for sure I had a leg length discrepancy for about a month. It was due to my tilted pelvis. As I progress with my PT and conscious effort to my stride when I walk, I am noticing that the idea my op leg is longer has disappeared. In the beginning, there is a definite feeling of a discrepancy, but it does go away, some sooner than others, though. Surgeons are so precise in their procedures, during the surgery itself, it's only a matter of time when that feeling disappears. What helped me realize that, in addition to what I already do, I asked for a copy of my surgical report. I was amazed reading it. The surgical team did no less than 3 separate measurements and confirmations to be sure everything was "even" and stable. Hope this helps alleviate some of your angst. Have a great day! :)
 
6 weeks post op tomorrow and had my second post op appointment today. I have been released from all restrictions and have been physically back to work for 3 weeks now. My hip has been feeling really good for the most part and although the surgeon told me today that I will need to have my left hip done he said he hopes it won't be for 5 years or so. (Me too!)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
This great news @Baybee! Is your job physical at all? I am curious for my own point of reference.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom