Guest viewing is limited

THR 2 weeks post op....is it normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's exactly what happens to me. I was always the one who took care of everything for everyone. I have two daughters and one has taken my surgery with a grain of salt. Because I have done so well, she is thinking...oh...that wasn't so bad...mom can handle it. Of course, she doesn't fully understand exactly how major this surgery is or how traumatic it is on your body. All she sees is that I have come through it with flying colors and I'm good to go. While my other daughter is amazed, knowing the full impact this surgery has on your body and now has an increased respect for her mom. And, then, there is my DH. All he wants to do is spoil me, take care of me and protect me. He watched the video of the full operation and knows, in detail, what they did to my body. I wish you the best with your PT today and hope you have a family member going with you, so they can see first hand, what you are faced with.
 
@Baybee
Beyond the tremendous insult your body has gone through, our family members will never fully understand the emotional impact this surgery has on us (I'm already going through it BEFORE I've had surgery). I can remember thinking (prior to any problems with my hips) that hip replacements were no big deal. I really could never understand the implications until I was facing this surgery. I really don't think too many people are like
@Nana757's DH! He's really one in a million! I'm thinking it might be a good idea to sit our family members down and make them watch a graphic video on what we are going or have gone through!
I pray today sees much improvement for you!
 
I so agree Cindy. Even the animated version, for those with weak stomachs, would do the trick. I actually showed my grandson that version and he couldn't believe what all they had to do. He loves me even more now, if that is possible! :)
 
Well I felt like PT superstar today! He had me try a leg lift that he said most THR patients couldn't do right away and I could do it! He only let me do 2 of those. Don't wanna overdo anything. I must admit to my sheer amazement when he gently put my hip through its ROM. I was stunned at how easily it moved. I guess I didn't even realize how much mobility I had lost. Tomorrow is my first post op appt with OS and they are taking off the dressing. I have some swelling and the bruising has begun so not looking forward to having this dressing removed.....ouch!!

@ Nana757 great news and keep up all of your great work!

@ Cynthia777 that's a great idea! I may just have to do that!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
That is wonderful news! You deserve to feel like a superstar! Having the dressing removed shouldn't hurt..but be prepared for a little ugliness. Good luck with your appt. tomorrow and thank you. Have a great night.
 
@Baybee Congratulations on your new hip! You sound great!!
I am sorry to be so late to the post op celebration.. I swear, my brain these days..
You sound great, have I said that yet? :loveshwr:
 
Brilliant update, great to hear it's going so well. Have a great recovery day and keep the good news coming.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Had my first post op appointment with my OS today. Very uneventful appointment. All he did was remove my dressing (Ouch!) and say I looked great and no signs of infection. I go back on Oct. 7!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Josephine Any Idea why if I am on my feet too long I get light headed and nauseated? I am almost 1 week post op.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
How long are we talking @Baybee?
BTW..saw your badge of honor....ouch! But it still looks pretty darn good.
 
@Nana757 even when I get a shower I start to get nauseated. I have made it a point not to take long or hot showers but it still seems to keep happening. It goes away if I lay back down for like 10-15 mins


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
How is your blood pressure? If it's low, that could very well be the culprit.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Baybee I'm with @Nan757 on this one, get the blood pressure checked in the first instance. Only 1 week post op you're not really expected to be on your feet that much given the major trauma your body has undergone, also the majority of the bodies energy and function will be focused on the repair area & work. Not to mention the fact that pain meds can not only cause nausea they can also contribute to lowering of blood pressure. I was told off by the nurses for a very similar excursion I tried in hospital with the same results as you are having. As for the showers, buy a shower stool, about £14 on Amazon, height adjustable and I use mine in the kitchen as well to help prep food when feeling rough.

Good luck, take it easy and have a great recovery day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Baybee Snap - how goes?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I had my second outpatient PT today. Went pretty well. They had me doing some stuff that was kind of uncomfortable so I told them I wasn't gonna do many reps on those and they were cool with that. I am finding that I am in a little bit more pain these last few nights so I'm going to make sure to take my pain meds around the clock to get over this hump. I ice and elevate A LOT. I just think it's all a combo of still being very very early in this process and my lack of patience and trying to do too much too soon. All in all though I'd say I feel much better than I ever thought I would at this stage!

@Nana757 & @AndyH99 how are you both doing? Feeling well I hope!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom