Guest viewing is limited

THR 2 weeks post op....is it normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so this has happened twice now since I have been home. It seems like if I am vertical for too long I start to sweat profusely, I get an intense wave of nausea and start to feel like I might pass out. It happened while I was in the shower at home yesterday and when I went downstairs this morning. My son found me hanging over the kitchen sink holding on to my walker cuz I thought I was gonna vomit. My daughter suggested it might be my pain meds but I was on pain meds in the hospital too and didn't have this happen, plus I have decreased my pain meds dose to 2mg of dilaudid every 4 hours. Anyone have any idea what could be going on? Too much too soon?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Baybee Hi, I had something similar whilst I was in hospital but mine was related to the combination of pain meds and low blood pressure. Only thing I can suggest is getting your BP checked and having a word with your GP as there may be some anti sickness meds they can give you if its not that ( I used them for the first two weeks till things normalised ). Either way talk to the Dr as the last thing you need is throwing up or passing out and screwing up your shiny new hip. Don't forget you're doing a lot more at home compared to in hospital and the extra exercise will have an impact.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@ Cynthia777 As far as I know I wasn't given any anti nausea meds post op. If I was they didn't tell me they were giving them to me and they usually told me everything they have me


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Baybee
Some people have a very difficult time with pain meds and nausea. Maybe a call to your surgeon's office to get a prescription for the nausea? I have a propensity to nausea and I know the antiemetic' shave been a Godsend in the past. I'm no expert, but this has been my experience. Hope you get it under control here soon!
Ps...they will make you sleepy.
 
Sorry to hear you're getting sick. My friend threw up for three days straight in the hospital with her hip replacement. She couldn't take the medications. She switched to Tylenol. I wonder if your system got saturated over time? The anasthesia is intense. I had some mild nausea, but I felt better if I went back to bed. (For me, sometimes it was a reaction to the pain.) They were kind of pushing me to walk more than felt healthy to me. When I felt pressured, that's when I felt sick to my stomach. I also felt carsick on the Dial a Ride van. Do you have a chair in your shower? I have one, and it really helps me to sit down. The hand held shower nozzle makes it easier, too.

Hope you find a solution.
 
It sounds like low blood pressure to me (maybe some low blood sugar mixed in?). Are you having any home health checks? I had those 3x a week for the first two weeks. They took temp and blood pressure among other vitals.

Keep drinking lots of water, and make sure you are eating something regularly.
 
Hi @Baybee and welcome to the other side. I hope your nausea has calmed down by now, but I think by you taking a hot shower, so soon, might have been the cause....at least, the first time. Our minds do strange things to our bodies, especially when they have been sooooo traumatized with hip surgery. Low BP might be the other culprit. I was vomiting the first two days, in the hospital, and had extremely low BP (we're talking 88/53 and sometimes even lower). Once my BP started going back up and got my meds squared away...no more nausea. Never felt faint, but would get hiccups, heartburn and then vomit, in that order.
Drink plenty of water and eat light snacks throughout the day. This may help, as well. But, definitely give DR a call. It's no fun suffering with nausea, when you don't have to. And, as Andy said, you certainly don't want to be passing out and messing things up. Don't be doing anything yet, except bathroom breaks, until your body gets a tad stronger and I would be sure someone is in the house, whenever you venture downstairs....just in case.
Best of luck to you in your recovery phase.
 
Both times that this has happened I have been on my feet so I'm thinking that's just my body telling me not to be up in the vertical position, I should be sitting or lying down more these first few days. Thank you all for your great replies! I didn't expect anything less from my hippie friends on BS!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@ Cynthia777 Those are my dogs Harli (tan GSD) Tilly ( sable GSD) and Sadie (Rottie). We have always been Rottie people but after we lost our last one at 6 yrs old due to lung cancer we swore we could ever go through the heartbreak again so we got GSD's......aaaannndd then we got another Rottie. Anyway, long story short, we rescued one of our Rotts years ago and she came already named Baby cuz she was so sweet. We liked the name but changed the spelling to make it unique and also because we live 1 1/2 hrs from the ocean and the bay so we changed it to Baybee and usually called her "Bay" for short but that's where the name came from!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Baybee
These old eyes of mine ain't what they used to be, I didn't even see her!!! I love Rotties! My dearest friend of 36 years (passed away about 8 years ago and I miss her DEARLY), had two Rotties that I used to babysit when she was out of town. They were both the sweetest things ever! I'm so sorry you lost your beloved Rottie...it's a very painful loss. I lost my little poodle over 20 years ago and I still miss her in occasion! Adorable name!!! :doggie:
 
@Baybee Sounds like you are doing great in your recovery! Slow and steady, be kind to yourself. I had just one instance of the dizzies on day 13. (I had low blood pressure in the hospital and after but hadn't been dizzy before.) Slept the night before all night elevated. Got up at 4am to go to the bathroom and was fine getting to the bathroom, but standing up again I got really dizzy, head buzzing and felt like everything was closing in! I sat back down and started moving my arms around and blinking really hard. I was cold and sweaty - very uncomfortable feeling. I took a couple big swigs of water, then I got nauseous and threw that right up.
After that I made sure to not stay elevated so long - my legs must have sucked all the blood out of my brain when I stood up. I also drank coffee and made sure to eat enough and I used a little more salt than usual. Didn't happen again. I hope yours has passed. Slowing down helps.
 
Today is post op day 4 and I have been so tired today. First bout with the post op blues when my husband fussed about making me a sandwich. Unfortunately I couldn't make a fast grand exit and slam the bedroom door with my walker so my little temper tantrum wasn't very effective in getting my point across! I hate having to have people take car of me! Ugh! Still getting kinda nauseated and light headed if I am vertical for too long. Tomorrow is my first outpatient PT appointment, hope I don't puke on anyone! Hahaha, should be interesting. I will check back in after PT. The day after tomorrow is my post op follow up to OS.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Baybee
Oh sweetie.... I'll say it again! You are trying to do too much. I don't blame your hubby for being upset. I'm sorry, but you really need to let the spoiling begin. You will be far better for it. And the post op blues are totally normal. I only had 2 occasions where the tears flowed, but that was enough for me. I so hope you allow your husband to do for you ... At day 4 ... You only need to rest, ice and elevate.
 
@Baybee
Did he fuss about making the sandwich for you or did he fuss because you were insisting on making the sandwich? Gosh, I'm sure hoping you're nausea and lightheadedness is gone before you try to go out for PT! Wouldn't want you falling!!!
 
I hope you are having a good morning. I wanted to pop in and apologize @Baybee for sounding so harsh on my last post. That was the mother in me, coming out. :boohoo:
 
I honestly think I get myself into these situations because I'm always doing for myself and others and so I think that my family almost just assumes that I can still take care of myself. Fingers crossed for PT today.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Nana757 absolutely no apology is necessary! I didn't take your statement in any way negative! I just need to stay out of my own way and let my body heal!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom