Guest viewing is limited

THR 2 weeks post op and miserable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usual question - what pain meds are you taking, how much and how often?
 
Percocet, same as last time asked, every 6 hours, round the clock unless I happen to get 6 hours sleep in a row

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
 
@dianehelen I will keep my fingers crossed for you......throughout this whole healing process pains pop up....right now my thigh is all pins and needles.....?...our muscle pain is probably normal. ...at 3 weeks now I am feeling almost like the old me.....hopefully you can get this incision thing out of the way....how was it closed? They used glue for me....hang in there.....try not to worry....these issues usually are resolved....you are only 2 weeks out....thinking of you...:)

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
 
@chaseyboy, my post started when I was 2weeks out, this Wednesday will be 4 weeks, and I am so not even close to feeling near where I was before. I still lean pretty heavily on the walker to walk around. I was closed with staples, at my 2week followup, they were removed and replaced with steristrips.
 
@dianehelen..oh sorry I don't know why I thought you were 2 weeks out.. So I was 3/10. I have to tell you though Today is really the first day I have felt normal. By that I mean up and about and not constantly sitting. I have been up and about most of the day. But I also was up at 4 and sat on the recliner until 11...lol.. Are you using the walker because you need it or you feel more comfortable with it? Please take no offense to that question. When I was in the hospital that walker was yanked from me the day after the operation...They were like you don't need it..Yes I did...I was like are you kidding me???? Have you used the cane? Maybe once the incision issue clears you will see the progress you have made. I was starting to think I was failing at this healing thing. But I am not. I have decided not to push it...it is what it is. I will see how this next week progresses. I would like to get back to work on 4/7...but if I can't I won't. As I had mentioned before I work for Orthopedic Surgeons. Most of the people having this surgery take a full 8 weeks before they return to work..who knows I may be one of them??:SUNsmile:
 
No cannot take one step without the walker. My dr said I needed to use it ir a cane for 6weeks, at this point I can't not even see walking without it. You are doing just amazing, im.jealous, but realize we are all different. I'm.old, overweight and was in terrible shape going into this, so I'm not that surprised my recovery is slower. I co u ld handle that, but this incision thing really had me in a tizzy :-(

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
@dianehelen Greetings from a fellow unhappy customer who's been reading your thread with sympathy as well as identifying on various levels. I'm 70, also overweight, also in bad shape prior to surgery (had had a TKR 11 months earlier after years of sedentary living because of it), &was hoping for an outcome similar to many of the happy accounts we read about here. Obviously I was very unrealistic & should never have compared myself or my recovery to others'. Live & learn.

I'm almost 9 weeks post-op & totally reliant on a walker because I came out of surgery with a numb foot on that side, which I have no doubt has impeded my walking. I'm told the nerves will come back, but they haven't yet although there's feeling in many parts of the foot & I can move it. It feels like it's "asleep" & occasionally erupts in pins 'n needles-like sensations. (You can read the whole saga in my thread "Shrinkette Has Arrived", if you feel like it).

Anyway, after 6.5 weeks in rehabs & currently "enjoying" the ministrations of an in-home PT, I'm very disappointed & learning a lot about patience. I can walk with the walker, but walking on a numb foot is very disconcerting, disturbing... kind of creepy, actually. I can't clear steps easily because, although I've gained a good deal of strength in that LEG, I still can't raise it high enough. I don't have confidence, am very wobbly due to the numbness, & feel quite hopeless at times. The leg IS improving; it's the foot thing that's the big issue. I am also, very gratefully, pain-free except when my knee on op side gets too much PT activity, which I'm careful about.

Anyway, I totally identify with how you're feeling. I, too, had drainage that went on forever... maybe 5-6 weeks... then seemed to diminish, even almost disappear. Then one morning I went to the bathroom to discover my panties stained with LOTS of drainage. Uh-oh! This was while still in a rehab. Nurse redressed it, said incision looked good, but surgeon must see; they also cultured it & started me on an AB. Went to surgeon the next day; he removed dressing to find... nothing! He said he expected to find a stitch that might've been left or something like that. Anyway, I hope you escape with a "nothing," but if not, I have no doubt that this has been seen before & they know exactly how to fix it. When I had my knee done, I developed a hematoma & had to go back to OR about 4 weeks later to "evacuate" it & sew me back up. It was no big deal as it turned out, but very upsetting at the time, so I know exactly how you're feeling: fed up, tired of all things medical, wondering when & how this will ever end.

Diane, it sounds like you were beginning to see some real progress. I'll tell you what they tell me: have faith that this will all sort itself out in time. Patience --another overused but necessary word in this process. It took us a long time to get into the condition that prompted surgery; guess it will take some time to build us back up.

I know you're scared... been there, done that. It'll turn out ok. Wishing you the best tomorrow.

Ellen
 
WOW Ellen, thanks so much for sharing your ordeal. I'm about ready to head to the dr, sad/scared but sorta mentally prepared to be back in the hospital. For 3 days I saw nothing peeking thru this dressing he put on, then last night once again see about 4" diameter area of some drainage stain, which does not give me much hope of avoiding hospital, surgery, backwards progress. So at this point, no, I'm not one of those "thrilled" with this whole new hip deal.
 
@dianehelen , I am hoping and praying that the Levaquin is doing the trick and that your dr appt results in good news. I hate that you have dealt with this, please hang in there! Maybe the drainage stain is not necessarily a bad thing. I am wondering why your OS did not go ahead and just give you IV antibiotics, seems that would have been a bit more aggressive at avoiding any type of re-opening of the wound. Unfortunately, there are always the risks and complications with every surgery. Positive thoughts sent your way, that the doc is able to be minimally invasive on getting this under control.
 
Yes have had that kind of pain also - but you need to resolve the infection before you can be sure the pain is nothing. Good luck today!
 
No good news for me. Back in hospital :-(. Various options, but most likely back to surgery to excise necrotic skin, and get a deep tissue sample to see if infection is not just surface. So sad.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
Oh no. Please keep us informed! Praying for best case scenario...:friends:
 
@dianehelen Aw, I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. Let's hope the infection is just pretty much surface & that a good course of AB will turn it around once they do what they have to do. I'll spare you the "chin up" speech... sure you're tired of hearing it... Just want to say I feel for you & all the anxiety you are probably experiencing as you face this unexpected challenge. Just keep posting & vent all you like. Please keep us informed.

Ellen
 
Oh. ..saying a prayer that this all resolves itself soon...you are in my thoughts....be well

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
 
so more hospital bs confusion. never really had surgery scheduled today, after being npo till 2pm, and dying of thirst, come to find out the "procedure" the dr ordered scheduled for today was inserting a giant needle into the new hip joint to pull out fluid to see how deep this infection goes. Hurt like hell, but only for a few moments. the dr could not find any fluid to pull out to check. then injected dye in the joint, and saw it stayed right where he put it, meaning not traveling to the surface where in incision infection is. So the bit of good news is that the infection appears to be only near the surface. so now laying in a very uncomfortable bed, in a hospital with awful food, waiting to see what tomorrow brings.I took one bite of what they called a grilled chicken sandwich and literally choked. not having fun yet
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow @dianehelen I just feel for you. How uncertain this can be....
There seemed to be a few positive nuggets in your news. Hopefully your OS will formulate a sound
least intrusive scenario to handle this for good.
I said a prayer for you.
:friends:
 
@dianehelen. Oh gosh..so sorry that you are now back in hospital..I really feel for you and hope that the infection resolves with the antibiotics....so glad it's a surface infection....thinking of you and hoping things start to improve for you...Chrissie xx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom