THR 2 weeks post op and miserable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again. For what it's worth, I've been on Vancomycin a number of times. It's one of the most powerful of ABs; I believe I've seen it referred to as the "AB of last resort." It helped me fight bacterial endocarditis many years ago as well as a few other things, & was given to me prophylactically after i accidentally gouged a chunk of tissue out of my leg emerging from a car, & prior to a colonoscopy, my TKR & THR. (They are super careful with me to avoid/prevent infection because i had a heart valve replaced 17 years ago.). It's good stuff & hopefully, it will clobber your infection & you will be good to go in due time. I don't remember any ill effects. Obviously, Josephine will give you better info.

Meantime, here's hoping for the Vanco magic & for you to resume life-before-infection. This is but a blip in the radar of recovery... I know it doesn't feel that way now, but you will soon be up and walker-ing again on your way back to a cane. I was a mess when I went back for my knee hematoma, so I know how difficult this is. Just
try to keep it in perspective... Take care.

Ellen
 
Thanks Ellen. Trying to stay focused and positive that he found no fluid near the joint. OMG the food here just sucks, I mean really inedible.Just brought "dinner", it says pot roast, but its a card deck size/shaped piece if rock hard meat, that I would not give my dog.
 
wow, tough day - too bad they have such bad food on top of it. My hospital has wonderful food at least.... but hoping that what you found out is really good news - as good as it gets when you have an apparent infection. And will say a prayer you are out of there and home and mending better than ever very soon!
 
@dianehelen. ....when all this is over and done with you deserve a nice big vacation..I don't remember being told this would be fun....ain't that the truth.......keep strong...:)

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
 
I'm so sorry. Hope all goes well for you this time. Prayers are with you


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart
 
@dianehelen So sorry that things didn't go as you had hoped, but are still better than what it could have been. Hope everything gets better quickly and you are home and moving forward with your recovery soon. Just remember we are here for you!!
 
I'm gonna need back surgery if I have to spend much time in this awful bed. I'm in the surgical wing and the beds are just so uncomfortable. The orth ward was so much better. The beds were reasonable. Here, NOT! My lower back is just screaming at me, and that's after 2 vicodin. Ughhh gonna be a long sleepless night

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
I remember bad beds when I was on bed rest during pregnancy - awful on the back. I agree on the joint replacement ward where I was, they had great beds. You'd think they'd figure out everyone could use that!!
 
Vancomycin is THE abx for peri-prosthetic infection.
 
How are you feeling? Hope you got some rest in that uncomfortable bed!! Also hope you feel a little better knowing you're on the right AB for your infection. Now all you need is some decent food! Any talk about how long you'll be on the IV? Hoping things improve for you...

Ellen
 
Those beds and that good sound grim....hope they get you a good bed soon and you can get out of there!!!! Chrissie xxxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Quick pop in from not happy me. Surgery Tuesday, infection was pretty deep, drew out about a litre of fluid and sealed with an open dressing with a woundvac machine that I will have to go home with for maybe a month or more along with iv antibiotics.

I came out of surgery very dizzy and nauseous. that's cleared, but I'm in a lot of pain from this deep surgery and have developed some new deep muscle like pain in my left thigh front (surgery side) that the Dr doesn't know what that is from, just watching for now. Trying to find the positive, but so far not working too well. Hope everyone is doing well, I'll check in when I feel up to it, but may seem MIA for a bit. Love to all
 
Oh my and I sometimes throw a pity party for myself....I promise I will save that energy and send nothing but good wishes to you...I guess theses infections though rare to happen....so sorry for you.surgery was traumatic enough...now to deal with this...just keep in mind you have a new hip that I am sure will give you years of happiness....thinking of you..makes me realize I am lucky...this can only get better....some how find a positive.:)

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
 
Diane, Oh goodness on the infection. I hope this becomes less painful for you quickly.
Will they be sending in a home visiting nurse I hope?
Perhaps a positive here is that they feel confident in the approach, and sending you home for the month or so.....
Big hugs to you.... :friends:
 
Thinking of you and hoping you feel better soon xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Well they finally identified the infection, its e coli. I think I'm going home tomorrow with a wound vac that I have to wear 24/7 for up to a month, but not sure. As well as a push AB, Cifepime hydrochloride, that had to be pushed by syringe into my power port every 12 hours for 3 weeks.

I'm just miserable over this, and playing the very non-productive 'why me' game. I am walking a tiny bit better, but have new thigh muscle pain from the new surgery.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@dianehelen Sorry your recovery got pushed back to day 1 with the new surgery but glad they found out what the villain is and are taking care of it.:ok: I am glad for you that they found this early in your recovery rather than later after you were completely healed. Hope this gets resolved soon and things start getting better for you!! Gentle hugs sent your way!!:friends:
 
Hon, I am so very sorry to hear of all you are going through. I know it must seem overwhelming at times, but just try to take one day at a time. We'll always be here so that you have someone to talk to. Don't hesitate to post. We care about you. I'm glad the infection was identified and treatment has started. It sounds like your surgeon is going to stay on top of it and for that, I'm thankful!
 
Diane,

My heart goes out to you. Why? I was where you are (when you were 2 weeks post op) last year. I hated being 2 weeks post op. I'm 38 and overweight as well. I had a THR and it was posterior. I had an infection as well sometime around 2 weeks or 3 weeks post op. I went to the ER to get antibiotics and in two days after that I saw my hip doctor.

I couldn't go up stairs (to get to my bedroom or bathroom) until 3 weeks post op. I had to continue to use Norco until . .. about 20 days post op. I tried to stop it at day 15 post op, but the pain was too much. I had to take the other pills to keep me regular. My doc gave me lots of pills. (not all were good, one was high level Zinc and it made me really sick).

I didn't start to feel a jump in progress until week 6-7 post op. That is when I noticed my knee wasn't numb anymore. Then I noticed another jump in progress at 12 weeks, then again at 13 weeks. I was on a cane - until week 8 post op.

you are in the very early stages of recovery. You are going to be in pain. You are going to feel tired. You are going to get frustrated with things that you can't do right now on your own. GET HELP. I didn't like my mom having to do things for me and I'm 38. I promise you - you will feel better. But at 2 weeks out - it is very hard to see that. It is hard to see real progress at 7 weeks out since you expect so much so soon.

With regard to the PT pain. There is a "good pain" and that is when you know you are getting a benefit from the PT. Then there is the "no way, stop this hurts like hell" pain. That needs to stop. I'd let your PT know about this pain. If it hurts, don't do it so much or so hard. Go easy. I got home at day 6 post op. I didn't walk any more than about 400 - 500 feet the first 2 weeks after surgery. I think I was told to walk 3 times a day. Did I? Not during those first 3 weeks. I was too tired and in pain too much. Listen to your body. You know your body more than you PT or doctor does. It will tell you when enough is enough.

I found that stretching helped me more - in weeks 6-16 post op. I know they want you to focus on strengthening exercises in the first few weeks after surgery to build up that muscle. I had to red, blue, yellow bands from the PT office. They had me take them home to use at home. I used them more once I got to week 4 post op. I'm sure they wanted me to use those bands sooner, but I did what my body told me I could do. I made sure it is a "good burn" or "good pain". If I was in pain all day the next day I knew I did too much and I'd cut back. With me - I was more on the safe side.

My entire story is listed under the title sometime like "r sock off at 33 weeks post op". You will find great support here. Don't try to do too much too soon. It will get better.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom