Guest viewing is limited

THR 2 weeks post op and miserable

Status
Not open for further replies.
@dianehelen so glad the muscle spasms have calmed down and hope the incision heals quickly. You will get that walking under your belt.....it's just going to take a little time. You are not alone in being impatient.....patience is the best thing I've learnt from this whole experience.....I'm much calmer than I used to be and have learnt ( the hard way) to kick back and let it happen. One day you think you've cracked it..only for another niggle to crop up....but eventually you get your life back. Take it easy...take it slow...thinking of you...Chrissie xx
 
The law of surgery - so let it be written!
. Yep, lesson learned.

so how long should this drainage go on before im concerned and need to call the doc?

its very high up at the very top of the incision, and its a light to medium brown color. very little overnight, but more during the day
 
@dianehelen....you sound just like me...in fact when I saw your post 2 weeks and miserable I thought omg someone else is miserable. ...you made me laugh with your routine..keep doing it. It is 2 weeks for me and I pretty much I have been reclining icing watching tv...trips around the house....and boom back to the recliner. I now have come to the realization that this will take some time to heal....if I look back to two weeks ago verses now...yes I am much better..a little stronger to..the pt was killing me. I have eased up on that to. In fact I cancelled today....I rested and elevated...and I feel good....still very sore...and still on the pain medication. My problem was patience...but I have accepted that I had major surgery...what I am doing is good for me. I was starting to feel like a failure if I sat all day...with little tiny trips around the house...not now. ...I want to heal....I'm not getting a prize if I do 30 leg lifts....instead I get a sleepless night....since sticking to this I feel good....body and soul....I cooked a little dinner...that was my exercise for the day...told my husband I couldn't clean up...he said that's ok....you just had surgery...yeah...that's right I did...and so did you..:)

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
 
wow @chaseyboy You cooked dinner? How do you do that while leaning on a walker? My husband took an FMLA leave from work and has pretty much been my full time caretaker. Just today I'm able to walker myself to the kitchen to get a snack. Not easy carrying a drink in a cup, between your teeth back to the recliner. Everything feels like a marathon. Hope your pain and misery starts easing soon. Hope mine does too.
 
I had a perching stool in the kitchen so I could sit easily at the work top/ oven to prepare food...it was a godsend. Also I had a trolley with wheels so I could push it around from kitchen to sitting room with cups of tea, etc. You are both doing well...take care .....Chrissie xxx
 
Well..,not a big dinner...just cooked some ground meat for tacos.,.I have to tell you I have never used the walker. After day one in the hospital they took it away.I have only used the cane..standing for long is still not good..so cooking an entire dinner...well forget that....I feel accomplished getting around the house....my experience just push yourself to get up....getting that snack in the kitchen is a good thing. Yes everything is a marathon. But really force yourself to get up even when it's hard...I still wake up around 4 in the morning and never can fall back to sleep.so my day starts early. Just take it slow....moving around makes you also feel less stiff....this is no walk in the park.....but I know that the walk in the park this coming summer will be awesome,,,,,keep positive ...just remember this pain will subside....takes time and work..You are fortunate to have your husband home....you will get there. .for now let him help you...rest and be well..:-)

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
 
wow 2 weeks out and you are on a cane? you are way ahead of me. I could not take 2 steps without this walker. But as so much of this, every one is different. I'm also much older then you, and quite overweight which I'm sure is a factor in my overall recovery. the best I've done so far,in the kitchen has been , pour a bowl of cereal, and figure how to transport it with some milk, back to the recliner, with a banana in my pocket, and the milk in a sealed freezer bag. a major engineering feat. I am sleeping fairly well, with my nightie night cocktail of a Percocet, 2 advil pm, and a xanax. ;-), better living (or sleeping) thru chemistry.
 
Actually I thought the walker was good - easier to walk without a limp, I had a bag attached to mine to carry things, I liked it, used it for at least 2 weeks. We borrowed one at no cost from Goodwill. Also, cannot believe the PT some of you are being subjected to. My doctor does not prescribe any unless some special need - like you were unable to move before surgery and really need help I suppose. I did nothing that hurt, I learned to be patient, nap a lot, read and do needlework for a couple of weeks. Only exercise was short walks around the house. I'm now over 3 months from surgery and can do anything with no pain - can even touch my toes for the first time in a couple of years! But I got there slowly by doing normal activities, not anything painful.
 
@charmed-life ya, if you scroll back a bit, I posted that I ditched the pt after talking to my dr office, and heard they did not order the pt, and don't recommend it for thr. must have been the hospital release team, which troubles me with the lack of coordination. For now, just walking, trying each day to do a bit more for myself. But I am almost 3 weeks out and see no real soon end in sight for walking without the walker. I see you had the anterior approach,,prob why you were off the walker sooner. I had to have posterior, and its a HUGE incision, affecting many muscles.But I am learning to accept my progress is just gonna take longer, and to learn patience.
 
@dianehelen Maybe that's why I was off the walker so soon...because of the anterior? This anterior approach gave me no restrictions...but I have to tell you I was horrified when in the hospital they said no walker. .,I did it but really I was afraid of a fall. ...your approach....the posterior is a little bit tougher on your muscles....it was hard enough for me to get up and down...so I can only imagine your pain...my pt is coming in an hour. I'm sure she won't be happy when I tell her I am doing very little..lol...I hope at the end of this week...you will see a difference....I know you will...may be ever so little...but you will..

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
 
I had a posterior approach for my THR. I used walker once, the day after my THR, and then never again. Everyone is different and we all have our own recoveries. That's why we always recommend against comparing your recovery to anyone else's.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
different indeed, @alexthecat. I think many factors affect it. Age also a big factor. you are MUCH youger than me and probably was in way better shape going into this.
 
Actually, I was not in good physical shape at all before my THR. That was my fourth surgery, following a hip fracture nine months earlier. Two of those surgeries were much more challenging and painful than THR. I'd been in a wheelchair for five months and then on crutches for four months after that.

As I said, we are all different and our recoveries are our own. I know that my history is different than anyone else's here and I'm sure yours is as well.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
@dianehelen - actually I did not have anterior, it was called anterio-lateral - its on the side of my leg, about 8 inches long - and I am your age but actually was in good shape. I am amazed at how young some people have to go through this. I still used the walker because I was much steadier with it and saw no reason to quit sooner. I remember that around 3 weeks or a little after I noticed more improvement and I think you will start to see some too. I had to learn to be patient....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom