THR 2 weeks post op and miserable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad it was a little better Diane.....that's why you need to make sure you have the correct pain relief because you will then be able to walk without pain, coupled with not over doing the PT.....My worst week was week 4 when I was sooo constipated ....far worse than the pain from the hip...so I hope your stomach stays calm....hopefully each day will be better from now on...I hope so...Chrissie xx
 
So sorry you're having difficulty. It will get better. Sending healing thoughts your way. Peggy :)
 
@dianehelen hi how are you...I am ten days post op. I am not over weight but the pain at times is pretty intense..yesterday for example I felt wonderful in the morning. .got dressed put a little make up on and just was so grateful that I felt so good...my pt came to the house...did the exercises....and hours later it was all down hill...I was in agony...every time she comes we add an exercise. Don't be depressed..this is major surgery.. when we over do it we have pain....that's my experience...I do not see the pt until next Monday and I plan to do a lot of icing and elevating. I kept having thoughts that I would be well on my way with recovery....well you know what??? I am....at my pace as are you.....when it hurts rest...get the ice...we cannot compare our recovery with anyone...this is my first ever major surgery and this is how my body is handling this...so don't worry and try not to get depressed...this hurts....we will get through this..:)

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
 
Oh and forgot to tell you I had the anterior approach....doing it this way left me with no restrictions. ..but the surgery is the same.....got a new hip...also you decide what exercises you want to do....that's what I plan to do. I do not want to relive the past few days I have had....for I now know what was causing the misery......hang in there....and you are certainly not alone with your tummy issues...

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
 
Thanks for those encouraging thoughts. I guess I just underestimated how painful this would be. Off to the surgeon today for staple removable. Hope he doesn't give me a hard time about not walking/doing enough. Also gonna ask if I can get reprieve from these damn boa constrictor stockings im wearing, just torture.
 
March 5th
5'10" 280lbs
Your BMI is a 'mere' 40! While the chart says that's 'morbidly' obese, it's actually in the average range for hip replacements! I've nursed THR people with BMI's of 60+ and they did fine. Surgeon was a bit whacked at the end but he survived!
And you are only 2 weeks out - um, doh! You said as much in your thread title!
when sitting, not moving, between 3-5, but after even a walk to the bathroom and back, once sitting back down goes to 8 deep in the muscle till it settles down
That's because you are a) doing to much (more on that later) and b) not taking enough pain meds.
Vicodin 7.5-325, every 4-6 hrs. but changed today trying Percocet 5-325 8-12 hrs
Take it 8hrly, you need it. Never, ever stint on pain meds at this stage.
icing: Few times a day for 30mins
Not enough. Ice more often and for much longer. Ice is your best friend and a great pain reliever. A great adjuct to pain meds.
elevating:All day long, in power lift recliner
But are you elevating "toes above nose"? Did you read the articles I left you? All Of them? You never mentioned you had and I would like to be assured that you have.
Activity: currently zero
Good!

PT
15 reps each - how many times a day? If it's three, cut it down to once a day
laying down ankle pumps - these are just anti-clot exercises and you can do them any time while you are sitting
side to side - do you mean like snow angels? Doing 5 a day would be better
knee raise - you don't need to do these for a hip and certainly not now, much too soon. Maybe at week 6 or 8
knee squeeze - does this mean like you have an imaginary ball between your knees? Do 5 once a day
butt squeeze - do 5 once a day
standing, side leg raises - leave these till week 6 and then only 5 once a day
back kick - also leave these till week 6 and only 5 once a day
toe raise - don't do these. Much to rigorous.

Also I see most of you seem to have had the anterior approach, wonder if that's less pain.
Not really. Some with posterior approaches have an easy time of it. Three things make the difference:
1. a surgeon who is gentle with your tissue while he's operating
2. taking adequate pain meds
3. not doing ridiculous amounts of PT!
 
Thanks Josephine. All good info. The recliner - elevation is part time toes with hips about same level. Part time, when I recline back to relax/nap, toes above hip.

I like your pt schedule way better. I got staples out today, and the surgeon was not pushing PT much, so not sure who set up this regime. For now I'm waiting to hear back from PT now that I'm post follow-up with Dr. He did say my surgery was very intense as he has a lot of mass to cut through so the healing of muscle and tissue would take time. I'm back on the Percocet every 8hrs and hope my stomach is ok. I've started eating more fruits, prunes, and prune juice. Now if I would feel some progress in the pain when walking would be more encouraged.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@dianehelen Glad you got your staples out, and looks like some good advice to cut back the PT exercises.
I hope you keep feeling better every day.
 
Next issue, maybe someone can help. Every time I get up, even a short walk the bathroom and back, when I sit back down, I'm getting intense deep gripping pain in the muscle. I'm icing every chance I get but no real relief from this 5-8 minutes of intense pain after I sit down. Same pain, when I get into bed for the night. Dr said it's muscle spasms, but omg, childbirth was less painful. It does subside after a few, but just hurts soooo darn much. Anyone else have this? Any suggestions to ease it? and yes back on pain med every 8 hrs, Percocet
 
@dianehelen Gosh, awful.... I know I have read here from posters that some people get intense muscle spasms like you reference.... Your GP or OS can give you script for muscle relaxants I understand. Hopefully, someone will see this question, too and advise.
 
I had no PT at all - my doctor doesn't believe its necessary. I kept on my pain meds on schedule at 3-4 weeks still and was able to get up and walk around frequently (short distances with a walker) with no real pain. I had anterior-lateral approach, not anterior - so incision in on the side of my hip but not quite as long as yours. I think that does take a little longer to get going in the first few weeks. I would get a schedule going on pain meds that works for you, (I took stool softeners every day) and then get to where you can get up and walk every hour or two. Ice when you sit down or lie down. Quit PT for a week or two. If you were not very mobile before the surgery you probably will need some help with strengthening muscles but get pain under control first.
 
So interesting the difference with pt or not. PT called today and I put her off now till Monday. Gonna call the Dr tomorrow and ask about the PT stuff. I'll also ask about muscle relaxer. I just dread getting up because I know the pain that's gonna greet me when I sit back down. Sorry to be such a downer here, most of you are so upbeat and happy with your surgery progress.
 
I had two things at this stage - muscle spasms when I would lie down and straighten my leg - muscle relaxer did help some but it suddenly went away. Actually I think it was when I switched from oxycodone to Vicodin. Later I had pain when I would walk - still do sometimes - but its muscle or tendon pain - down side of my leg to top of my knee. But week by week its better. Just adjusting I think to the way I walk now (not limping and no leg length discrepancy that I had before surgery). Put pain meds should help this. It WILL get better.
 
Hi lady...hope today has been better....yes those muscle pains are intense...my incision is on the front.....the side of my thigh to my butt is really sore....I have one of those massagers. .like the ones they sell at bath nd body works...like a roller....these work really well to calm down that pain...hang in there: )

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
 
Based on what your surgeon told you about your procedure it sounds like your muscles and soft tissues are complaining. I had major muscle spasms too. They do ease off and disappear. Hang in there!
 
Hope those pains hurry hope and go for you Diane.....I did have some severe muscle spasms at times but they wore off.....usually after icing they calmed down......sounds like your surgery was quite hard so I'm sure that is the problem....but equally sure it will calm down....thinking of you...Chrissie xxx
 
Glad to hear I'm not alone with these muscle spasms. I'll just keep icing, medicating, and waiting.. sure is no picnic. Thanks for all your help and making me feel not so alone in this.
 
Certainly no picnic......I called them 'the Zingers'! Ouch..they hurt. My sister had them very badly with her TKR too....but they've gone now! Xxxxx
 
Along with the prune juice and fruit, be sure you are taking plenty of stool softeners (be sure to get the kind that do not have the word "stimulant" anywhere on the label....like Colace). You need these as well as the bulk.

I see you are taking your percocet every 8 hours. Is that the prescribed dose? Or....does the label say somehting like 1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours. For now you need to be on the maximum dose until you get things stabilized. So.....please tell me what the dosing instructions are on the label and we can go from there.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The rx , oxycodone/acetaminophen 5-325mg, says 1 tablet for pain every 8-12 hours. I'm taking them at 8am, 4pm, 11pm.I am taking collace every day.

The other rx, for hydrocodone/acetaminophen 7.5/325, was 1-2 tablets for pain every 6-8 hours. I stopped this one and started the oxy one
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom