Guest viewing is limited

THR 2 weeks post op and miserable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh that sea eagle is beautiful! I live on the east coast @shrinkette :flwrysmile:Orlando, but our beach house is in St Pete Beach, 2 blocks from the beach, the Gulf of Mexico. Where are you? Yes it is hot, but it's always a bit less hot near the coast, nice ocean breezes. I'm also concerned we can't really do much, with me still not walking great, tiring easily and dragging this damn vac everywhere. But just being out there, eating seafood, and seeing different 4 walls seems good to me. I have to also drag a virtual medical supply house out there with me, my 3x/day abx, wound vac cannisters, wound vac dressing stuff in case it freaks out and I need to get it changed. As we have it set up now, my nurse comes to change it today, then hope it holds until we are back Thursday. Just a little history on this little house that could. We bought it in 2008 when my husband had a very well paying, management job, a 25 year career, where he made the company millions of dollars. We saved and saved to buy this house, while still paying a mortgage on our Orlando home. It was a bit of a stretch, but doable. Well 6 months later, recession hit, and the company, reduced its staff, and the highest paid were the ones cut. He was unemployed fir the first time ever. We really struggled to get thru the next 2 years, to keep both houses. He took a crappy pre retirement job in 2010, driving a bus at Disney World so we could have healh ins, and get us to medicare and retirement. My business picked up just enough to squeak us thru, get the orlando mortgage paid off and insure we were able to keep our beloved little beach house. So this house at the beach really means alot to us. In about a year, he will officially retire, we will sell orlando, and move to the beach for our final chapter. Sorry if that's more than you to needed to know, just wanted to share. Wish me luck on the trip, well leave later this afternoon. :)

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Enjoy your beach house and the trip away!
Eat some yummy fresh seafood, too.
Delightful change...


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hey, Diane. Hope that by the time you read this you will be ensconced in your beach nest enjoying views of wildlife & gulping wine! Sounds lovely. Thank you for sharing your story... always nice to kind of connect-the-dots whereby we learn a little bit more about each other. You guys sure had a lot hanging over you during that horrific downturn! All WE had to do was watch our investments devalue at an alarming rate; it was a wild ride, but we're glad we held on.

I live in Plantation, which is about 10 miles west of Ft. Lauderdale. We are the original owners of a home we bought in 1978, which we are beginning to think is getting to be too labor-intensive for us at this stage of the game. Hubby retired 7 years ago from a very good state job which provided all the bells & whistles, including a traditional pension, the ability to continue their group med insurance as our supplementary, free life insurance, & other goodies. Our adult daughter lives 5 minutes away in her own condo (with boyfriend). We thought about owning a condo near the beach, but may opt for one of those jazzy 55-and-over places with all the amenities. Time will tell.

Let us know how different scenery feels! And the seafood!
 
@shrinkette, nope, still in Orlando. Hubby works crappy night hours, so sleeps till noon. We'll get out around 3pm. Alot of our friends had a similar path as you, state or city jobs, that left then with great retirement bennies. We chose the corporate route, which did us very well, until the bottom fell out. Our investments took a dive too, but thankfully came back nicely. We are ok, now, just the looming health ins issue. But I'm just a year away from medicare, then my husband can quit, take the few months of cobra for him, then he is ready for medicare too. Now is we only live and stay healthy enough to make it to that milestone.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
Hey Ellen @shrinkette it would do you good to get away too....just a change of scenery is lovely.

So sorry that you are still struggling too....it's a long road when all is not well.

(((Hugs))) and thinking of you and Diane.....hope you both get away.
 
We made it! 2 Percocet, 2 advil, and a zanax, and the trip was bearable. Now to relax, and hope my pain stays in check and the evil vac cooperates. Thanks for all the good wishes. @shrinkette you should get away too :-). @Vetgirl , Sally how ya feeling today?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
Enjoy the "away-ness"! Do something wild & crazy... LOL. I'll get there -- somewhere -- eventually. Today my big adventure was Costco, & only to the optical dept. But I saw ducks, geese, & those beautiful white birds in my neighborhood -- does that count?
 
Absolutely ;-) . @shrinkette . Wild and crazy, ha! We stopped at my favorite store and bought a bunch of exquisite cheeses. Wine and cheese is about as wild as I can get, dragging this vac everywhere. But the cheese is delish (im a bit of cheese aficionado)

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
Hey, who says you can't be wild & crazy with cheese!? You can slather yourself with a nice runny Brie &... Uh-oh, better not go there... I'll get censored. Just reminiscing... LOL
 
Well we made the trip. It was a bit uncomfortable, but with some Percocet, some advil, and some zanax I did it. TOday we got out just a bit. I limped along, dragging the damn vac, but got to sit by the bay and watch my pelicans. Nice to get out, but now I'm exhausted. Here I am with my lovely pelicans
[Bonesmart.org] 2 weeks post op and miserable
 
What a great picture! So glad you got some time away for a change of scenery - sometimes just that little respite can do a world of good. Enjoy!
 
@dianehelen So glad to see that you got to see some more walls....Bill @fulafoto and I have a running joke about walls. Actually, I seeing more walls these days and you will too!!!

Nice photo of you and I'm glad you got to get away to your house. What does the wound vac look like? What do you wear with it?

I'm always thinking of you and hoping and praying that this infection is on it's way out.

Keep up the good fight!!!!
 
Just want to comment on your weight issues. I know as soon as the Dr. said I needed a hip replacement and I should try to loose weight, I promptly went home and ate some ice-cream. Not sure about you, but I am a compulsive overeater and whenever stressed the problem is exacerbated. I had to tell myself that even over weight people get new hips. Eating is a way of taking care of and soothing myself. Getting a new hip is definitely STRESSFULL, so try not to be too hard on yourself. There are many different thoughts on how soon to do what, but we are all different and heal differently. I did very well in the beginning, but am paying now for overdoing. I am not good with meds either, but when faced with constipation or pain, I chose finding something to deal with the constipation. I found a piece of advise from the friend that was very helpful...she said "What would you tell me if I were you?"...It's very difficult to think straight when all that pain gets in the way. Will be thinking about you and wishing you the best...Rebecca
 
You know, it's odd, that I never really considered myself a stress eater. I just LOVE food, particularly really good food and I love wine and fine exotic cheeses. My weight issues are more from too much of a good thing. When I am stressed out depressed I actually lose my appetite.

@Vetgirl @shrinkette and all. I'm seeing a new wound care dr tomorrow, the old one did a few things that ticked me off and I'm still having intermittent issues with this damn vac. Even the dressing change done at the old wound dr office, by his so called experienced wound nurses failed after 1 day. Also tomorrow I see the infectious dr to hopefully hear I am infection free. Only 5 more days of this 3x/day iv ABX. My wound nurse says it's looking good, other than one small area that is causing my pain, as a piece of necrotic tissue on the edge that most likely needs to be debrided, blechh. The wound has gone from a starting depth of 16cm to a current 3.5. The open width is 4cm, so still a ways to go. My actual hip feels decent, not perfect, but able to walk reasonably ok.

Our beach visit ended in disaster with the damn vac dressing leaking and causing it to fail, on Wednesday, causing me to have to sit in a recliner awake all night, our last night there to turn it off for 2 hours, then on and holding it so it can suck out the accumulating exudite. Then to top off the disaster, after no sleep, I go sit in the kitchen to do my ABX, on our old chairs that I knew were rickety and am very careful on. But, this time I sat down, and CRACK, the leg gave out and I fell, thankfully on my right side, onto the tile floor. Very frightening. I called for hubby to get me off the floor, but our bedroom out there is far from the kitchen, and the door it's closed, and he sleeps with a cpap and can't hear me. I do not have the strength to get up on one leg and did not want to jeopardize my hip. I butt scooted myself to the family room, got on my knees by the coffee table and kinda layed myself across it and levereged myself back up. We had essentially one good day there.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
@Vetgirl Sally, here is my evil vac. The machine connects to a cannister that has a tube that connects to the tube and flange on the dressing. As the cannister fills, I have to put a new one on. The machine/cannister go in the little shoulder bag case, that's with me 24/7. I wear just regular clothes when I get dressed and try to hide the gross tube of my flowing serous exudite, but you can see it on me, which is why I don't go out much.
[Bonesmart.org] 2 weeks post op and miserable
 
[Bonesmart.org] 2 weeks post op and miserable
You have really had one rough recovery journey, and I admire your courage and fortitude. I am praying that the new wound care doc will be able to help you get past this sink hole in your recovery road and on to a faster smoother track.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] 2 weeks post op and miserable
 
Thanks @bottomshollow but I really don't have courage or fortitude. I cry most days and have never felt more miserable. I just don't have a choice but to endure. I never thought anything could be more intrusive and awful than breast cancer and chemo, boy was I wrong. But hopefully someday I'll stop regretting beginning this journey.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom